not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 11:50

Are we losing job? Been a postie 20 year, am part time day off cover. People saying rm are getting rid of us? No one really tells me anything at our office. Would like some advice
Shall I be looking for a new job?

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 13:12

you have got 20 years in the job, you don't need to wory about losing it.

RM would like to go to 5 day mail deliveries with packets etc on weekends, thus getting rid of rest day covers etc.

this could remove 20k jobs, can't see it happening myself for a while, but with 20 years in the job there will be plenty before you would go, some on VR if it gets offered :)

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 13:32

Thank you very much for your reply, being a day off cover it has been on my mind but actually have 22 years service so hopefully will be ok
Am worried for all the other day off covers at our office though as some of those only been here a few years
Let's hope everything works out not too bad
Again thank you so much for taking the time to reply

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 15:27

Does it matter if you're a reserve? Surely it will be decided on seniority or lack of it.

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 15:34

If it happens it will be VRs no compulsory redundancies

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 17:24

I would take vr tomorrow but keep getting told none to go in our office,mind you that is the manager talking (only time you can believe anything he says is when he is asleep) lying b*****d.

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 18:07

The truth is, nobody knows what they will come up with to decide on redundancy selection, if indeed that happens.

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 18:10

If indeed redundancy did happen there is no way in this world you would be first out the door just because you are a day off cover/reserve etc.

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 18:14

At this stage I wouldn’t worry too much. Personally this is the approach that I think will happen in order:

Plan 1: RM will at some point announce huge changes, some people really won’t adapt to them and will leave and look for another job. For example, if they were to say hours are changing from 7.30-3.30 to 9-5, absolutely no exceptions, come in early all you want but the clock in machine won’t accept your card until 9 and you must work every minute till 5...suddenly everyone who has to pick up kids will look for another job. It’s like the Asda situation, give everyone new contracts tell them to sign it or leave.

2. RM will then target those they don’t want here. Sorry if this is hard hitting but those who are older, slowing down, those who argue on a daily basis, especially higher cost FT staff....RM will constantly pinpoint them, pushing them over petty things, again to the point they will get fed up and leave of their own accord. I can see it being good cop/bad cop, one manager saying you missed a single tracked scan 2 weeks ago, we are watching your performance, another manager saying the job isn’t getting any easier have you thought of retiring.

3. After people have quit of their own free will, with little cost to RM, they’ll then offer redundancy but I wouldn’t expect the terms to be great.

4. Final stage of the plan, and I reckon enough will leave from the first 3 stages so they’ll never get this far; compulsory redundancies. Obviously it will be done on seniority.

Day off cover help?

18 Jun 2020, 18:29

Long term job loses will be worse in MCs as RM automate more and more of the work over time

Day off cover help?

19 Jun 2020, 13:24

20 yrs service and still a floater thats not great .

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 05:50

HTPostman wrote:At this stage I wouldn’t worry too much. Personally this is the approach that I think will happen in order:

Plan 1: RM will at some point announce huge changes, some people really won’t adapt to them and will leave and look for another job. For example, if they were to say hours are changing from 7.30-3.30 to 9-5, absolutely no exceptions, come in early all you want but the clock in machine won’t accept your card until 9 and you must work every minute till 5...suddenly everyone who has to pick up kids will look for another job. It’s like the Asda situation, give everyone new contracts tell them to sign it or leave.

2. RM will then target those they don’t want here. Sorry if this is hard hitting but those who are older, slowing down, those who argue on a daily basis, especially higher cost FT staff....RM will constantly pinpoint them, pushing them over petty things, again to the point they will get fed up and leave of their own accord. I can see it being good cop/bad cop, one manager saying you missed a single tracked scan 2 weeks ago, we are watching your performance, another manager saying the job isn’t getting any easier have you thought of retiring.

3. After people have quit of their own free will, with little cost to RM, they’ll then offer redundancy but I wouldn’t expect the terms to be great.

4. Final stage of the plan, and I reckon enough will leave from the first 3 stages so they’ll never get this far; compulsory redundancies. Obviously it will be done on seniority.

I think you are on the correct track. But I have a sibling who is quite senior in RM. They have been talking about offering everyone a job who wants to stay but they must sign a new inferior contract with less pay, holidays and conditions. It is being run through HR at the moment with a bit of stalemate from decent people who think that people still matter. If they don't sign the new contract they will be out. Now remember the amount of people in a year or two who will be willing to work for far less. JAG group who owns British airways is doing that exact thing as we speak and their union is pants. This was under Mr backs plans, so while new members of the top team come and go it will be several months before you hear too much about it. But let me ask all you reps out there. Why don't you ask the union higherarcy did they know about this about NOVEMBER2019 time. That was the reason the tupe from parcel force to another arms length company was held up. Parcel force is going nowhere now, it will be Royal mail parcels, what it used to be and not a separate company anymore.. Things are pretty grim. :no no

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 06:01

Chelseablue wrote:20 yrs service and still a floater thats not great .

I'm exactly the same.

Even with 20 years under my belt my only option for picking my own duty in a full resign would be to take one of the worst 2 or 3 (out of 65) in the office that nobody wants.

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 09:09

Navalron wrote:
HTPostman wrote:At this stage I wouldn’t worry too much. Personally this is the approach that I think will happen in order:

I think you are on the correct track. But I have a sibling who is quite senior in RM. They have been talking about offering everyone a job who wants to stay but they must sign a new inferior contract with less pay, holidays and conditions. It is being run through HR at the moment with a bit of stalemate from decent people who think that people still matter. If they don't sign the new contract they will be out. Now remember the amount of people in a year or two who will be willing to work for far less. JAG group who owns British airways is doing that exact thing as we speak and their union is pants. This was under Mr backs plans, so while new members of the top team come and go it will be several months before you hear too much about it. But let me ask all you reps out there. Why don't you ask the union higherarcy did they know about this about NOVEMBER2019 time. That was the reason the tupe from parcel force to another arms length company was held up. Parcel force is going nowhere now, it will be Royal mail parcels, what it used to be and not a separate company anymore.. Things are pretty grim. :no no

I do not believe RM would be so stupid to attack its staffs T&Cs so callously in the wake of this pandemic which made us all Key workers and quite frankly highlighted that we are a vital part of this countries infrastructure. It would be career suicide and I would fully expect government intervention as public opinion would demand it.

Il quite happily eat my Royal Mail supplied hat if any of that comes to fruition but for now Il say your source is talking S.H.I.T.

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 19:33

Navalron wrote:

Hopefully they are talking porky pies. £11+ an hour for unskilled labour is pretty good, but when every day is like Christmas pressure and it’s snowing or a heatwave or chucking it down we are worth penny.

I’d hope though before they try to cut our terms which will demotivate about 99.9% of us, they start looking at where the business isn’t productive and is losing money:

-People going home early and not working the hours they are paid.

-Ghost overtime.

-Lack of planning giving too many holidays at the same time then paying them overtime to come in and work their holidays. One guy did a full 6 days, 8 hours a day = 48 hours plus 38 hours basic. That’s not far off £1k, ridiculous!

-All those little silly things like frames not being in order or showing how to tie up, not knowing codes for apartment blocks, having to queue up once for your specials then having to queue up again for van keys. It all adds up.

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 23:00

HTPostman wrote:
Navalron wrote:

Hopefully they are talking porky pies. £11+ an hour for unskilled labour is pretty good, but when every day is like Christmas pressure and it’s snowing or a heatwave or chucking it down we are worth penny.

I’d hope though before they try to cut our terms which will demotivate about 99.9% of us, they start looking at where the business isn’t productive and is losing money:

-Ghost overtime.

-Lack of planning giving too many holidays at the same time then paying them overtime to come in and work their holidays. One guy did a full 6 days, 8 hours a day = 48 hours plus 38 hours basic. That’s not far off £1k, ridiculous!

-All those little silly things like frames not being in order or showing how to tie up, not knowing codes for apartment blocks, having to queue up once for your specials then having to queue up again for van keys. It all adds up.

You should be in upper management....oh hold on, no, your observations are far too correct, you know how the job works, you will remain a postie unless you forget all the things you said and come up with a BS plan that bares no resemblance to any of the above.

Day off cover help?

20 Jun 2020, 23:38

Royal Mail wouldn’t dare attack its staff.... you not seen the news lately.... the job culls have just begun.. they’ve not even turned off furlough yet. I’ve been doing double mail mail most days this pandemic, I hate it, I want to quit, I need to quit, but I can’t because there’s nowt out there.
You honestly think the public care about the common postman.... the nhs got some clapping..
I’ve occasionally been able to do single mail and there’s nothing there.. the truth is the company can’t survive as it is. Staff currently are split into haves and have nots and I think a massive reckoning is needed.

Day off cover help?

21 Jun 2020, 07:57

rambo1 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:

-Ghost overtime.

You should be in upper management....oh hold on, no, your observations are far too correct, you know how the job works, you will remain a postie unless you forget all the things you said and come up with a BS plan that bares no resemblance to any of the above.

I’ve been asked numerous times if I’d like to go into management with Royal Mail. Couldn’t think of anything worse, at the minute to me my job is well paid, stress free and apart from being physical it’s simple and the easiest job I’ve done.

Not sure what it’s like in other big businesses but I’ve long thought one of our biggest problems is not being able to communicate, to say we are a communications business we are dreadful at it. There are years of experience within each depot, if we could just have a say and work together to make this company work better it would be beneficial all round.

Just as an example, we’ve lots of frames here which don’t have the red/green markers on to show you where to tie up, there are things in the wrong order, the keys for the apartment blocks keep being taken home by the duty holder. How difficult would it be to train one of us to use the computer and to sort the walks out, even just half an hour at the end of our shift. Everything could be sorted within a few weeks. Then have the apartment keys attached to the van keys which have to be signed in and out. Just a few small ideas which would be ridiculously easy to implement.

Day off cover help?

21 Jun 2020, 08:26

For my ha"pennies worth

Whilst other companies might utilise unacceptable and insecure labour models relying on low wages and uncertain contracts; our company is inherently different. Our culture is different and our working practices are different. We are not Asda. Been doing some research and ASDA have around 165,000 employees but only 6,000 of them belonged to the GMB Union. For Royal Mail the figures are roughly 162,000 permanent postal workers with 110,000 CWU members in Royal Mail. This means that we are in a far bigger negotiation position than many other large companies. True, we may have balls up the strike ballot last year and this year's ballot might be something of a false dawn; but there's no doubt that it has had a big impact - Rico was forced out. Any potential CEO will have a job on their hands, so don't expect them to suddenly start demanding we are all working a 9 to 5 telling people to look for another job if they don't like it. RM managers might have been buoyed by staff changing their start/finish times and the business temporarily managing to take a day off the USO BUT they are temporary measures because we are in a pandemic. However, we know that Royal Mail are keen to get the 2024 thing back on track with your parcels hubs, but I would fully expect to see a gradual change in later start times.

As for Royal Mail bosses targeting those who they don't want - they will have to offer them something good first! "Higher cost FT staff" generally have the measure of their managers, who in turn are under more pressure from their own bosses. Its just the way Royal Mail hierarchy works. I've never been a fan of those new PDAs but as long as staff are working with due diligence and their hours - what can their bosses actually do? There are still strict measures in place to prevent staff from being dismissed from slight misdemeanours like a failed scan. As everything gets recorded, we are all in the same boat. Managers are under more scrutiny from their DOMs to assess whether they are following procedures for all their staff - even the ar$e lickers.

My thoughts on redundancies? Royal Mail know they have an ageing workforce but they will hope that many staff in their late 50s and early 60s will retire and leave voluntarily before they put together any fantastic redundancy packages. That said, I know of one postie who was often going over by an hour everyday and when he had a leg injury, they paid him off very handsomely indeed.....

Comments about staff going home early and ghost overtime, well, would you really expect any other business to allow this?? The fact that its been going on for years and Royal Mail have only just started to introduce clocking on machines is proof that change in Royal Mail is often slow. Like I said, Rico had great plans to totally transform the way we work, but it was probably a bit too much, too soon. He renege on an agreement that was barely 2 years old and fell out with the Union and we all know what happened to him. The fact that many frames are often disorganised for want of a better word is further proof that guys sat in the office while we are out delivering don't seem to be up to much. Its a cultural thing you see and often very difficult to change.

The Union are keeping everything under wraps at the minute. I don't think they are getting in bed with Royal Mail, they simply want to get back to their original agreement as much as possible. Recent comms that suggest falling letters and profits etc etc I do think its all smoke and mirrors at the moment, but surely time will tell.

Day off cover help?

21 Jun 2020, 16:38

I have been with RM 22 years and was full time but went PT a few years ago as it suited my situation, but if they do want rid off PT day off covers I fear I've had it

Thanks again guys

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2