not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Other courier companies

07 Jun 2020, 21:33

Just wondering does anyone know what it is actually like working for other similar courier companies when compared with Royal mail, anyone any experiences of places like Yodel,Amazon,Hermes,DPD,TNT, DHL courier companies,hows wages pressure from managers etc, work to life balance? is it really better here at royal mail than any of the other companies?

Other courier companies

07 Jun 2020, 21:41

That`s an odd question, so you never read the news about their zero hours contracts or being self employed with their own van, bussiness insurrance for it, fuel costs, no sick pay, 16 hours work days, no union and so on?

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp468php6Ck

Article here: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... issed-you-

Other courier companies

07 Jun 2020, 21:55

Can only speak for my local DPD and Hermes drivers, they earn well while they are working but have long days and have to find their own cover for holidays & sickness which obviously they don't get paid for :thumbdown

Other courier companies

07 Jun 2020, 21:58

bit of an odd reply, u haven't worked for any of them, I did say anyone who has worked for them a bit of a fairier response not what u read In a newspaper,anyone can do that, I would be surprised if DHL and TNT are on zero hour contracts, they two companies may actually be quite good to work for, that's why I was asking if anyone had experiences working for companies like TNT or DHL they seem happy chappies

Other courier companies

07 Jun 2020, 23:58

Royal Mail is the best delivery postal company to work for without a doubt.

I have a friend who works for DPD and they get no sick leave, are expected to work 60 hours a week even though they are only contracted to do 40.

No pension, no sick leave, no parental leave, no meal relief

It's the same story for each firm, except some pay a little bit better per hour than us. But lack the benefits.

I would strongly suggest some of the moaners in this forum and in our company to try a fortnight at one of our competitors and see how long it is before they realise it isnt all too bad with Royal Mail. Alright, it's not perfect but for a job with minimal education requirements it's not bad at all.

This is why it is so important we stick with the Union throughout, or we will become like our competitors.

Other courier companies

08 Jun 2020, 00:03

endofdays1982 wrote:bit of an odd reply, u haven't worked for any of them, I did say anyone who has worked for them a bit of a fairier response not what u read In a newspaper,anyone can do that, I would be surprised if DHL and TNT are on zero hour contracts, they two companies may actually be quite good to work for, that's why I was asking if anyone had experiences working for companies like TNT or DHL they seem happy chappies



Thing is you don`t know if I worked or not for any of them or anywhere else as I won`t disclose in public any details about me to give ammunition to whoever spies on this forum.

I was trying to be helpful actualy, I`ll let others say same thing as I did then.

And good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Other courier companies

08 Jun 2020, 16:11

Depends if your full time or not with rm.as ft posties have pretty good t and c compared to. everyone else,but if you are on say 25 hours a week basic and want more money I would say you are worse off.I bumped into a guy who left our place at Christmas and he now works for ups.he was pt at our place and says he is so much better off now and although he has a lot of drops he says it isn’t so knackering and less hassle from management and far less clicks than the rm

Other courier companies

08 Jun 2020, 20:30

Can’t speak for any of the other couriers but the local Hermes guy is regularly delivering 1000 parcels a week (at a pound a parcel) through the pandemic. He says there’s very little stress - I can’t imagine there’s managers tracking his every move telling him to hurry up.

By no means am I telling anyone to leave RM and go to a rival but if ever I lost my job I’d be heading over there even if it means providing own van.

Other courier companies

08 Jun 2020, 23:27

Royal Mail propaganda says that employees have "market leading pay, terms and conditions".

It's the only true thing that RM says. Thanks to the Union.

We have it okay for the type of work we do, be careful what you wish for.

Other courier companies

09 Jun 2020, 22:06

I think the big con on our side working with Royal mail is the stress in the morning pressure from management, whereas sounds like some of companies theres not much of that pressure tactics from management, cons theyve got it is no holidays, thats a big con, i ve heard they have to find cover as well when they cant make it in for their run, not sure.

Why i was asking was more about DHL and TNT, was speaking to a DHL guy who used to work for royal mail and he said DHL is great ,60 parcels in a day for a decent rate ,and he says its better than Royal mail as they get a wage,conditons little presseure, not self employed, so made me think has anyone else worked for DHL, TNT delivery drivering?

Other courier companies

10 Jun 2020, 15:10

Problem with this as shown above, different companies have different t and c's. Parcel Force have owner drivers; others just employed. UPS is unionised; the others are not as far as I'm aware. The general view I hear from other couriers is that if you're willing to graft there's money to be made. The benefit of Royal Mail is you're salaried, therefore it doesn't matter if you do 10 parcels an hour or 30. But the downside is there's no more to be made if you do bust your ass. One guy I went to school with makes a mint now, started with one of the firms as a self employer courier. He made enough to purchase a franchise for an entire area, he now employs agency drivers to cover the routes he owns. Problem with that is it's your headache when one doesn't turn up ect but he makes a killing.

Other courier companies

12 Jun 2020, 14:30

plus Royal mail is the only company that provides staff with free uniform including shoes ... even parcel force don't do that and parcel force (Owner Drivers) guys have to PAY Royal Mail for using there PDA's and pay the full price if the PDA breaks down or is damaged

Other courier companies

12 Jun 2020, 19:02

endofdays1982 wrote:I think the big con on our side working with Royal mail is the stress in the morning pressure from management, whereas sounds like some of companies theres not much of that pressure tactics from management, cons theyve got it is no holidays, thats a big con, i ve heard they have to find cover as well when they cant make it in for their run, not sure.

Why i was asking was more about DHL and TNT, was speaking to a DHL guy who used to work for royal mail and he said DHL is great ,60 parcels in a day for a decent rate ,and he says its better than Royal mail as they get a wage,conditons little presseure, not self employed, so made me think has anyone else worked for DHL, TNT delivery drivering?

I know a guy who was sacked from Royal Mail.He now works for DHL doing night shift sorting.Say's he likes the job and doesn't get any hassle of the mangers.They stay in the office and let the staff get on with doing the job.

Other courier companies

12 Jun 2020, 22:55

Ok, how do I work at the other couriers for a fortnight? Cheers

Other courier companies

13 Jun 2020, 09:30

gimba wrote:Ok, how do I work at the other couriers for a fortnight? Cheers


I'd check your employment contract with regards to working for competitors...

Other courier companies

13 Jun 2020, 10:36

sindba wrote:Royal Mail propaganda says that employees have "market leading pay, terms and conditions".

It's the only true thing that RM says. Thanks to the Union.

We have it okay for the type of work we do, be careful what you wish for.


Hardly market leading pay, terms and conditions. If you are a part timer then the pay is not so great. I earned around 17k last year on a 27 hour contract. Currently no overtime and minimum extended delivery. I'm not the main earner or we would be screwed.

Other courier companies

14 Jun 2020, 14:11

I would say £12 per hour for hourly paid delivery work is up there with any like for like delivery company.

Other courier companies

15 Jun 2020, 14:53

deltaforce wrote:I would say £12 per hour for hourly paid delivery work is up there with any like for like delivery company.


Easy for a full timer or manager to say this. £11 something times 27 is not a lot of money a week. It could be £100 an hour but if you are only getting two hours it's not enough money to live on.

Other courier companies

15 Jun 2020, 15:34

Jahpostie wrote:
deltaforce wrote:I would say £12 per hour for hourly paid delivery work is up there with any like for like delivery company.


Easy for a full timer or manager to say this. £11 something times 27 is not a lot of money a week. It could be £100 an hour but if you are only getting two hours it's not enough money to live on.

Your problem is not the hourly rate but the amount of hours you work. Part time hours is where it is these days, far from ideal. The alternative is become a driver for the opposition then you’ll get more hours than you can shake a stick at and most prob worst terms and conditions

Other courier companies

23 Jun 2020, 20:25

Munchboii wrote:Royal Mail is the best delivery postal company to work for without a doubt.

I have a friend who works for DPD and they get no sick leave, are expected to work 60 hours a week even though they are only contracted to do 40.

No pension, no sick leave, no parental leave, no meal relief

It's the same story for each firm, except some pay a little bit better per hour than us. But lack the benefits.

I would strongly suggest some of the moaners in this forum and in our company to try a fortnight at one of our competitors and see how long it is before they realise it isnt all too bad with Royal Mail. Alright, it's not perfect but for a job with minimal education requirements it's not bad at all.

This is why it is so important we stick with the Union throughout, or we will become like our competitors.




None pay better than RM. The only one is IPS. And there benefits are not so good. Now many companies these days pay for you lunch break? And stupid bxxxxxxs still don't take it. :cuppa

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2