not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 07:28

Now the Covid19 rules are changing from tomorrow are we expected to go back to 2 in a van again?

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 07:48

Doubt we will be by next week. But it's only a matter of time before we are again. Social distancing is pretty much finished, at least in my area.... No one cares anymore

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 07:52

Two metre rule still applies so doubt it,there talking about relaxing that in two weeks from june 1st though.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 08:44

How can you socially distance 2 people in a van , unless they put a screen down the middle it’s impossible, so until the government change the rules it’s not happening.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 08:55

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 1&p=902127
Joint statement by RM/CWU basically saying no can sharing

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 08:55

chickenwittle wrote:How can you socially distance 2 people in a van , unless they put a screen down the middle it’s impossible, so until the government change the rules it’s not happening.


The government have issued an exemption to 2m rule in cars

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 15656.html

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 09:23

Joe4567 wrote:
chickenwittle wrote:How can you socially distance 2 people in a van , unless they put a screen down the middle it’s impossible, so until the government change the rules it’s not happening.


The government have issued an exemption to 2m rule in cars

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 15656.html


That's old news and relates to travel to work.

The actual government guidelines on working from a vehicle that applies to us...

3.3 Social distancing in vehicles

Objective: To maintain social distancing wherever possible between individuals when in vehicles:

avoid multiple occupancy vehicles where safe to do so
vehicles should not be shared if possible

if it is not possible to keep a 2m distance in a vehicle, consider additional safety measures

Steps that will usually be needed:

Devising mitigation measures where workers have no alternative but to work within 2m to minimise the risk of transmission, including:

– clear signage to outline social distancing measures in place
– single person or contactless refuelling where possible
– using physical screening, provided this does not compromise safety, for example, through reducing visibility
– sitting side-by-side not face-to-face and increasing ventilation where possible

Using a fixed pairing system if people have to work in close proximity, for example in a vehicle.

Making sure vehicles are well-ventilated to increase the flow of air, for example, by opening a window.

Ensure regular cleaning of vehicles, in particular between different users


Obviously the business has looked at all that faffing around and decided that it's easier to resolve the problem by removing it completely.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 09:40

No 2 meter rules in taxis

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 09:54

If they bring the distance down to 1m then van shares that use transit vans might, as I think if the passenger uses the left-hand passenger seat then it'd leave 1m between them and the driver. Ever since the Dominic Cummings incident it seems to have killed off both the isolation and social distancing

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 11:07

If they bring the distance down to 1m then van shares that use transit vans might, as I think if the passenger uses the left-hand passenger seat then it'd leave 1m between them


The outside width of a transit van is 1.9 metres.
That leaves 90cm for two doors and two arses and that doesn't allow any gear changes or even turning on the aircon.

Even slammed against the doors there's no way you could maintain 1m and remember the 1m rule is not the same as the 2m rule, it's a no entry zone.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 11:16

They *might* be able to use the combos with the rear seats, but where the parcels are going is anyones guess.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:03

If you have a fixed partner for van sharing I really don't think the risk is high at all. You will be working in close proximity on frames and touching the same packets and post anyway

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:15

Joe4567 wrote:If you have a fixed partner for van sharing I really don't think the risk is high at all. You will be working in close proximity on frames and touching the same packets and post anyway


If both of you lived in a bubble outside work possibly but with the lockdown restrictions lifting on a daily and it seems hourly basis maybe not such a great idea.

It's too big a liability risk for the business at the moment and that's the main driver behind it. They don't want to be facing an avalanche of letters from The Claims Guys a few years down the line. I know you're desperate to get back in a van with someone but I'm afraid you'll have to live with that at the moment.

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:20

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:If you have a fixed partner for van sharing I really don't think the risk is high at all. You will be working in close proximity on frames and touching the same packets and post anyway


If both of you lived in a bubble outside work possibly but with the lockdown restrictions lifting on a daily and it seems hourly basis maybe not such a great idea.

It's too big a liability risk for the business at the moment and that's the main driver behind it. They don't want to be facing an avalanche of letters from The Claims Guys a few years down the line. I know you're desperate to get back in a van with someone but I'm afraid you'll have to live with that at the moment.


Not really my point mate, just think it's a false sense of security not sharing a van with 1 other person. Way less risk than for example going to the shops doing pretty much anything at the moment

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:28

Hoping I stay on my single duty for a good while longer. Takes me back to the old days,pre park & loop

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:33

Way less risk than for example going to the shops doing pretty much anything at the moment


There are many risky things people do outside of work that are not acceptable in the workplace.
What's your point?

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:46

Cedar_Room wrote:Hoping I stay on my single duty for a good while longer. Takes me back to the old days,pre park & loop

If parcels stay at the current levels long term, maybe RM will put in some dedicated packet duties (or at least for SDs so duties don't need to worry about SDs)

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:50

When airlines are back up and running,that's when we will probably see the rules relaxed as regards working in shared vans.
I've heard reports that planes could fly with half as many passengers but it's not going to be cost effective for airlines to do this because of fuel costs. The cost of a holiday abroad could be astronomical.

Not a bad thing for the environment I suppose,I'm sat outside and I've never seen the sky look so clear

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:54

Would rather be safe than stupid , hope this stays in place a good while yet .

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

31 May 2020, 12:56

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:Hoping I stay on my single duty for a good while longer. Takes me back to the old days,pre park & loop

If parcels stay at the current levels long term, maybe RM will put in some dedicated packet duties (or at least for SDs so duties don't need to worry about SDs)


I hope so. We used to have parcel drivers years ago and it worked quite well. We seem to be getting more larger parcels (about fridge size) through out network and they just don't fit in the smaller vans when you've got your mail bags, trolleys and other parcels as well.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 20   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20