not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Work related stress - What to expect next?

13 May 2020, 18:07

Im currently off work,I m covered by GP sick note for 2 weeks.The reason is stress at work.We all know how this job looks like ,stressful all the time .My question is What to expect next? I didnt inform anyone about my feelings in the office,I went straight to my Doctor.Now the management want to call me every few days ( maybe every I dont know ) to check how I feel,they want me to speak to Health Advisor (?) ,it makes me even more stressed and anxious.Can I refuse to answer the phone calls from them ? What is Royal Mail policy/law about that ? Thanks

13 May 2020, 18:24

Went through sort of same thing.I phoned feeling first class,number on wages.They were pretty helpful,they got in touch with my manager. he then set up a phone call with health advisor. Who got in touch with my Gp( my permission).They then set up phone meetings with councilar.Really helped plus the manangers r more understanding

13 May 2020, 18:24

Went through sort of same thing.I phoned feeling first class,number on wages.They were pretty helpful,they got in touch with my manager. he then set up a phone call with health advisor. Who got in touch with my Gp( my permission).They then set up phone meetings with councilar.Really helped plus the manangers r more understanding

14 May 2020, 12:54

I went off sick with stress due to work and I just told them I do not want to talk to anybody at the moment regarding work as I don't feel well enough or up to it , my doctor has given me a sick note for x weeks and I WILL CONTACT YOU when this is due to expire and I have seen my doctor , because at the end of the day he is QUALIFIED to help with this and you are not , and if they do try to try it on contact your area rep and inform him its not helping if they are ringing every few days and you will be off longer and also speak to your doctor as well , and take any help that your doctor gives you as your health is more important , best wishes :thumbup

14 May 2020, 13:37

You're covered for two weeks. Sick note trumps everything. Don't have to speak to anyone - the whole point is to not speak to anyone from work.

Make sure you go back to the GP for two further weeks. 4 weeks is perfectly normal for work-related stress. GP won't doubt you.

Mangers have no place in this at all.

14 May 2020, 15:05

I'd be careful on advising someone not to be in contact with management. Yes, your sick note covers you to be off work but in order to receive Royal Mail sick pay you must maintain contact. So give them the line and agree to contact them again in a fortnight with an update. Be very specific that you are agreeing to contact them but on your terms and when

14 May 2020, 16:13

Exactly I can confirm the above. You should not speak to them every other day but you should establish a plan how you want to maintain contact. I believe a short call once a week should cover it. Ff your DOM is lets put it in a nice way not on your side and would like to use opportunity to stop your sick pay you not keeping in touch is his perfect excuse. I know they can be very pushy so again let them know that you will be ringing in every friday or tuesday and would appreciate if they do not call you everyday.

15 May 2020, 08:27

Pancake123 wrote:Im currently off work,I m covered by GP sick note for 2 weeks.The reason is stress at work.We all know how this job looks like ,stressful all the time .My question is What to expect next? I didnt inform anyone about my feelings in the office,I went straight to my Doctor.Now the management want to call me every few days ( maybe every I dont know ) to check how I feel,they want me to speak to Health Advisor (?) ,it makes me even more stressed and anxious.Can I refuse to answer the phone calls from them ? What is Royal Mail policy/law about that ? Thanks

Tell them to do one. You have a sick line from your doctor. End of.

15 May 2020, 08:47

picture123 wrote:I'd be careful on advising someone not to be in contact with management. Yes, your sick note covers you to be off work but in order to receive Royal Mail sick pay you must maintain contact. So give them the line and agree to contact them again in a fortnight with an update. Be very specific that you are agreeing to contact them but on your terms and when

I would agree if it was anything other than work-related stress, but the clue is in the name.

The man needs space between himself and the workplace, physical and mental. Manger doesn't have a leg to stand on bothering people.

16 May 2020, 08:18

south London postie wrote:
picture123 wrote:I'd be careful on advising someone not to be in contact with management. Yes, your sick note covers you to be off work but in order to receive Royal Mail sick pay you must maintain contact. So give them the line and agree to contact them again in a fortnight with an update. Be very specific that you are agreeing to contact them but on your terms and when

I would agree if it was anything other than work-related stress, but the clue is in the name.

The man needs space between himself and the workplace, physical and mental. Manger doesn't have a leg to stand on bothering people.

Actually the opposite applies. Because OP is saying it’s work related, the employer has the right to discuss the reasons with the individual to try and resolve them

16 May 2020, 18:55

circles wrote:
Pancake123 wrote:Im currently off work,I m covered by GP sick note for 2 weeks.The reason is stress at work.We all know how this job looks like ,stressful all the time .My question is What to expect next? I didnt inform anyone about my feelings in the office,I went straight to my Doctor.Now the management want to call me every few days ( maybe every I dont know ) to check how I feel,they want me to speak to Health Advisor (?) ,it makes me even more stressed and anxious.Can I refuse to answer the phone calls from them ? What is Royal Mail policy/law about that ? Thanks

Tell them to do one. You have a sick line from your doctor. End of.

Why would you advise anyone to tell them to do one especially with work related stress they are duty bound to find out what is the cause of the stress.. also by offering the help of a health advisor why would you refuse.

16 May 2020, 19:14

Depends if the managers are causing the stress? and this could make the condition worse we all don't have cosy times with managers but some are good and it only takes one bad apple!

16 May 2020, 20:30

k979aaa wrote:Depends if the managers are causing the stress? and this could make the condition worse we all don't have cosy times with managers but some are good and it only takes one bad apple!

So why then turn down the help of a health advisor just bypass the manager.

17 May 2020, 10:52

'BECAUSE YOU'RE STRESSED OUT AND AT THE MOMENT YOU JUST NEED SOME F**KING SPACE'. Etc.

This thread is a but like trying to talk to a brickwall type manager.

17 May 2020, 13:21

I had an almost identical problem a few years ago , my union rep dealt with the Dom on my behalf , the Dom wouldn't except this , it then went through to the area rep who contacted head office , eventually it was agreed between the union and my Dom that I was not to be contacted and to leave me alone untill I had recovered from my work related stress which led to anxiety and depression. I was off work for 5 months , one of my colleagues would take my sick note in. In the whole 5 months I never contacted management once , they left me alone. I only contacted them when I was ready to return to work. When I did return to the Dom never spoke to me ever again. Happy days.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1