not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 08:43

Hi, i'm currently off work with this condition. I'm taking Ibuprofen and trying to rest as much as i can. If anyone else has had this and can offer any advice on how long its likely to last or how to deal with it i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 10:26

Try to keep moving, stretching ect, for me it lasted Anywere from 1 week to 3 weeks depending on how bad it was.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 13:11

Very painful condition I had it for about six weeks before it really improved but it was months before I could drive comfortably painful to press the clutch pedal best thing is painkillers and movement afraid it takes time

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 13:56

4 weeks I had it. Only had it the once. Was always worst first thing in the morning. Had to literally crawl out of bed and use a chair to get upright. After about 3 weeks I relented and went to the doctors. All he could offer me was that it was my age (mid fifties) and it will go eventually and keep taking ibuprofen. Gee thanks doc.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 14:47

You need to go and see a sports massage therapist, obviously not going to be possible at the moment but it will sort it out. It will be very painful though.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 16:03

I feel your pain my friend,I’m in pain with my hip due to mild arthritis had a steroid injection a while ago which helped,and recently pulled my ligaments in my knee ,I dispair at times,at 58 and done 38 years a bit of help on my rural round-would be nice getting in and out of my van certainly ain’t no rest! On two weeks leave now out of the cv19 debarkle at work and resting a bit,take care my friend I wish you well

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 16:05

Thanks for the replies. I totally agree Steve, much worse in morning and turning over in bed is painful. I havent been to docs as i know they cant do much and even getting an appointment at the moment would be hard. Hopefully it will start to ease off a bit in another week or two.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 16:16

Qnly got a few years left , body now in bits , anyone recommend any footwear that are decent enough supportwise and comfortwise? ie not royal mails lol. Thanks

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 16:25

Nike air trainers are good but can be expensive. I find the air cushion under the heel really helps to give that support and posture when walking for long periods.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 16:50

Cheers ricardo

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 19:28

I wear ASICS Men's Patriot 2 , lightweight and grip really well in the wet.

I had really bad sciatica that lasted months, I found working/moving easier than being at home. Sorting and putting the letters in the frame was the worst bit, but once I got out on the round it wasn't as bad.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 19:31

Its been about 5yrs since my last real bout of it, found it was using the old combo vans which you had to haul yourself out of that was causing it, a good physio can sort it out but keep taking the brufen and it should ease, nowadays if I feel it flaring up at all I just bang brufen into me until it goes away. My first bout of it ended up with 3 months physio and 6 months before I was back on full duties so be careful.

Sciatica

20 Apr 2020, 20:02

Ricardo44 wrote:Hi, i'm currently off work with this condition. I'm taking Ibuprofen and trying to rest as much as i can. If anyone else has had this and can offer any advice on how long its likely to last or how to deal with it i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Look on YouTube for Sciatica release stretches and piriformis release. I've had it on and off for 30 years but manage to keep on top of it by following a set number of stretches etc and also using a cricket ball to 'release' the piriformis muscle. It's all there on youtube but you need to find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Sciatica

21 Apr 2020, 01:26

Sciatica is a symptom, it's not a condition.
People have sciatica for different reasons.

I was in lot of pain when I went to my doctor, who prescribed ibuprofen every 4 hours and paracetamol every 4 hours, alternating. This work like magic. For one day. And then the pain came back, and was as bad, despite the painkillers. He did say that I could try the chiropracters, who I had always dismissed as quacks.
Going to the chiropracters was the best money I have ever spent.
He explained what he thought the problem was, how he would treat me etc.
I think it cost me about £150, four trips, and got me out of chronic pain.
I would recommend trying to use stretches, also adopting good posture when you sit, and, if the pain is chronic, go to a chiropracter that you can find good reviews about. Doctors was fairly useless for me, and I don't think the physio really helped except making me feel I was doing something for my health. Chiro gave me insight into my problem and took me out of pain.

Sciatica

21 Apr 2020, 07:57

Thanks again for the advice. I've taken this week off but dont want to go on long term sick unless i really have to as it may clear up in a few weeks. Trying to access doc's, hospital and physio now is also a problem. I've got holidays coming up as well so will try and ride it out. My dom's been ok about it as i dont go sick very often and i'm not on any stages.

Sciatica

22 Apr 2020, 18:39

Anyone used naproxen or diclofenic or anything else for pain relief in hip joints etc ? Can you get strong painkillers in the pharmacys?

Sciatica

22 Apr 2020, 21:57

The strongest you can get over the counter is codeine but you can`t drive after you take it, it makes you dizzy.

For me 2 ibuprofen work wonders.

Sciatica

22 Apr 2020, 23:59

Janet Brum wrote:The strongest you can get over the counter is codeine but you can`t drive after you take it, it makes you dizzy.

For me 2 ibuprofen work wonders.

Codeine doesn't make me dizzy. And I can still drive...legally.

Sciatica

23 Apr 2020, 00:21

You are stronger than me then, I was dizzy for hours, almost like being drunk.

Sciatica

23 Apr 2020, 00:30

Janet Brum wrote:You are stronger than me then, I was dizzy for hours, almost like being drunk.

Stronger? It's all relative....
In other words, medications will affect people differently...
You may be stonger than me in other ways...

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2