not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 07:28

I delivered a parcel to a house yesterday. As I was in a rush to place the parcel down and back away from the door, I dropped the parcel on the doorstep, probably higher than I should have. In hindsight I should have placed the item down first, but customers are still in a rush to open the door before I even knock still despite whats going on.

The customer collected the parcel and then a few minutes later opened the door and mentioned how the item was broken. He said he heard me drop it, which i cannot deny. Was a mistake on my part. It looked like it would have padding, but obviously didn't have enough. I mean people throw parcels around anyway in the offices and did ask if he was sure it was me. He said that he heard it, but I didn't hear an overly loud noise, just a standard dropping parcel noise, but I did have my headphones in my ears which weren't turned on, so I don't know.

I admitted fault and he said he didn't want to get me in trouble and I even offered to give him compensation myself to stop any hassle, which he declined. He mentioned as a friend had sent it, he couldn't really buy another one.

I asked him what the item was, and he showed me that it was a candle with the glass at the top a bit cracked. He was querying me on what to do about compensation etc, and said if I could ask my manager. I assume though that you'd have to fill out an online claim form, or is there another way?

I messaged to ask about what the person has to do in this situation as he's probably going to ask me about it? Is this anything that I could get in trouble for?
thanks

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 07:54

Accidents happen mate, don't beat yourself up about it, let him claim off Royal Mail if needed, they have far more money than you.

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 08:00

Having to wear gloves and it was a hot day your hands slipped,s**t happens

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 12:21

The package wasn't packed good enough in the first place. End of.

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 14:51

afcdibby wrote:The package wasn't packed good enough in the first place. End of.

This.

If you really did only drop it on the door step from holding it, I'm guessing, around 2 feet above then it clearly wasn't packaged well enough.

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 16:11

When ever I see FRAGILE or DO NOT BEND I can’t help myself, come on admit it, bet you all do it :hmmmm

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 16:39

i probably dropped it from waist length, so maybe 2 feet, so probably your right, it wasn't packaged well enough really. When your legs are aching from a long round, it hurts having to crouch and put things down

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 16:57

My van share partner did something similar in the old days when we shared a van. The customer refused to accept the item and it was RTS. A few days later another one turned up.

As others have said, incorrectly packaged is the answer. Not your fault.

think i broke something

15 Apr 2020, 19:11

Glad you're OK. When I saw the title I thought you'd broken your arm or something. :crazy:

We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up over it. I simply tell the reciever that the sender should have used better packaging. I suggest he contact the sender and ask them to replace it. It's not their problem until they've accepted it .... would they like to Refuse it? :hmmmm

If they continue to give you a hard time I normally give them a 739 card and tell them to contact my Manager. TBH I don't think the 739s have the DO Tel No nowadays (they used to). But they can work their way through the menu , I'm sure they're a Customer Services option? :cuppa

think i broke something

16 Apr 2020, 23:33

Even if you do nothing, let him go through the usual claim for damage process, and even if you are questioned about it which from my experience is extremely unlikely, simply telling the truth, and saying you were trying to follow the new covid procedure, but before knocking he opened the door, startled you, and in a split second panic of suddenly through no fault of your own being in close contact with someone, you accidentally dropped the item from about waist height.

Tell the truth if asked and you’ll be fine.

think i broke something

17 Apr 2020, 01:10

tell him to claim the item was broken, he doesnt need to mention that he thinks YOU dropped it. It was just broken during the delivery process at some point. All he has to do is show that the item was broken and RM will likely pay out, theyre not going to go into a huge enquiry to find the exact time and reason it got broken, if they did this for each compensation claim it would cost millions.

think i broke something

17 Apr 2020, 01:13

LaggyBand wrote:and even if you are questioned about it which from my experience is extremely unlikely,

ive never heard a postie to be confronted by this UNLESS the customer has given such info in their claim, which the customer isnt required to do, its not up to the customer to determine at what point it was broken, only that it was broken when they recieved it.

think i broke something

19 Apr 2020, 01:43

You're too kind offering your own money. You may have broken it, entirely possible you didn't though. We've all seen how packages are handled in offices and no doubt it'd be no different throughout the pipeline. I do collections and have dropped stuff that appeared to break; I definately did break a bottle of Bailey's at Christmas coz it leaked over the floor! Accidents happen, just tell the customer next time to inform the sender asap it arrived broken. Another item then gets sent and it's between Royal Mail and the sender to sort out any compo, the customer just gets another item.

think i broke something

19 Apr 2020, 02:49

Accidents do happen... that's why any item being sent should be in suitable packaging.

think i broke something

19 Apr 2020, 07:27

Thought it was the sender who had to claim not the receiver, tell him to contact the sender.

think i broke something

19 Apr 2020, 08:48

You sound like a nice guy, fair play for admitting you broke something but you really didn’t need to. Give the customer the call centres number or tell them to go online and fill a form in. The amount of stuff we handle your going to drop things now and again. Forget about it.

think i broke something

28 Apr 2020, 23:10

Say exactly this to your manager:

'I delivered a parcel to a house yesterday. As I was in a rush to place the parcel down and back away from the door, I dropped the parcel on the doorstep, probably higher than I should have. In hindsight I should have placed the item down first, but customers are still in a rush to open the door before I even knock still despite whats going on.'

You can't get in trouble for making a genuine mistake no. If something similar ever happens again, say you are very sorry to the customer and tell them they can claim on the RM website. It is not up to you to pay out from your own pocket for genuine mistakes, the company has insurance/a budget exactly for this purpose!

think i broke something

29 Apr 2020, 02:14

I balanced a parcel on handrail one day and chapped door. Just as the lady came to door I turned to retrieve parcel and knocked it off, causing it to fall 10 feet down to the ground.

I apologised immediately. The item was a portable LCD TV for their caravan, which was now broken. Felt like a fanny!

My van share partner saw the lot and was pissing herself when I jumped back in van.

Accidents happen. I sure as s**t wasn't offering to pay for a new TV for them, as much as it was my fault.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1