not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 06:20

After the news Boris Johnson is seriously ill, I am thinking more & more we should not be at work, If somebody in his position can get this then people like us are at a higher risk than I first thought. I do delivery & collections the amount of stuff we are collecting from firms & post offices is ridiculous. All we should be offering at this time is a basic service Specials, a revised postal service just delivering first class items. I have heard from top:managers if we don’t work the company won’t be able to pay us. After this is over I am leaving Royal Mail it has taken me 33 years to realise what a horrible company this is now.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 08:34

Why are you leaving after this? If your that afraid I would be leaving now :hmmmm ! And it's taken you 33 years to realise what a horrible company it is? I think its only became the uncaring company in the last 3 or so years before that we had our gripes but it wasn't no were near as bad as it is now! And privatisation has a massive hand in that because we all know when shareholders have the reins to any company its profits before life!

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 08:52

woody38 wrote:After the news Boris Johnson is seriously ill, I am thinking more & more we should not be at work, If somebody in his position can get this then people like us are at a higher risk than I first thought. I do delivery & collections the amount of stuff we are collecting from firms & post offices is ridiculous. All we should be offering at this time is a basic service Specials, a revised postal service just delivering first class items. I have heard from top:managers if we don’t work the company won’t be able to pay us. After this is over I am leaving Royal Mail it has taken me 33 years to realise what a horrible company this is now.

Totally agree,it’s shameful. The delay in conversing with the union over various issues is obviously a tactic,one that will have an impact on many workers and their families. For those union members who didn’t vote in the recent ballot I hope these few weeks open your eyes.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 08:58

woody38 wrote: I do delivery & collections the amount of stuff we are collecting from firms & post offices is ridiculous.

I did a collection yesterday and it's not far off Christmas levels. The PO staff are totally frazzled and very pissed off at the amount of non essential stuff that is coming through them.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 13:46

Lets all walk out and bankrupt the company

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 13:59

HA1 wrote:Lets all walk out and bankrupt the company

And our jobs with it?

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 14:07

HA1 wrote:Lets all walk out and bankrupt the company


That would more than likely bankrupt us long before it bankrupted the company.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 14:26

woody38 wrote: I have heard from top:managers if we don’t work the company won’t be able to pay us.

How long could any company afford to pay its workforce if it stopped trading?
Anything that keeps the economy turning is essential to somebody, and ultimately to us.
A recession/depression isn't going to save anyone's job.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 15:32

The Gov. was happy to pay 80% pay to millions of other workers, to ensure their jobs remain, there is nothing essential about getting QVC crap sent to you. We should not be working, or only volunteers working to provide a skeleton service. Spain stopped postal services. Our offices simply cannot be made safe. Latest info clearly points to the virus spreading farther than first thought especially indoors. An infected person just speaking in the vicinity of others put them all at a very high risk of catching it.
In our office we still have a full office of staff,(notwithstanding people isolating or that have already walked) that are continually wandering around and talking and shouting. The heating is still on which gives a great stuffy atmosphere for the virus to travel around the office. They have staggered starts, single van working and attempted, but not policed 2m distancing. None of this will have any effect if anyone in the office has the virus because of what I said before.
It is simply not safe, and I am on the verge of walking out, at the moment I am relying on hope that no one in our office has it!

I SAT AGAIN WE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 16:36

I would happily work if Royal Mail was prioritising things correctly but when I'm being told to leave my full frame of mail for days to focus on parcels (boohoo, zara, hollister, QVC - wtf?) it all just feels so wrong. Thankfully I've only been in the job a short while, when this is all over I'll be leaving what I thought was my job for life. This virus has changed my outlook on everything and the pathetic lack of leadership from the bottom to the top of RM has completely put me off.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 16:53

We are working because :-

1) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

2) People staying home get bored, got online buy "crap" get cheered up and STAY HOME.

3) When all this is over the Economy will have taken a huge hit, because we are working some sectors will remain stable and provide future employment.

4) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

5) Not everything is crap. Look closely, mixed in there is lots of "essential items". Prescriptions by post to name but one.

6) At some point in the future we will be needed, who else is going to deliver AND collect test kits.

7) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 16:55

The economy might well be f**cked by the time this is all over. You thought the 2008 austerity was bad, the austerity that's going to result from this will probably make the 2008 austerity look like a walk in the park

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 16:59

Trouble is the park is full of people that should be staying at home.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 17:21

midegarelu wrote:We are working because :-

1) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

2) People staying home get bored, got online buy "crap" get cheered up and STAY HOME.

3) When all this is over the Economy will have taken a huge hit, because we are working some sectors will remain stable and provide future employment.

4) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

5) Not everything is crap. Look closely, mixed in there is lots of "essential items". Prescriptions by post to name but one.

6) At some point in the future we will be needed, who else is going to deliver AND collect test kits.

7) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS


Please stop repeating 'Stay Home....' when by working we cannot, well....do just that

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 17:28

Acca Dacca wrote:
midegarelu wrote:We are working because :-

1) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

2) People staying home get bored, got online buy "crap" get cheered up and STAY HOME.

3) When all this is over the Economy will have taken a huge hit, because we are working some sectors will remain stable and provide future employment.

4) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS

5) Not everything is crap. Look closely, mixed in there is lots of "essential items". Prescriptions by post to name but one.

6) At some point in the future we will be needed, who else is going to deliver AND collect test kits.

7) STAY HOME SAVE LIVES PROTECT THE NHS


Please stop repeating 'Stay Home....' when by working we cannot, well....do just that


I quite liked midegarelu's post. I believe he's highlighting the difference between the workers and the ones who should be staying at home, and how they need us to be able to do that.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 22:18

HA1 wrote:Lets all walk out and bankrupt the company

I trust this is a joke, either that or you really aren't the sharpest tool in the box.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 22:25

clashcityrocker wrote:
woody38 wrote: I have heard from top:managers if we don’t work the company won’t be able to pay us.

How long could any company afford to pay its workforce if it stopped trading?
Anything that keeps the economy turning is essential to somebody, and ultimately to us.
A recession/depression isn't going to save anyone's job.

Good post. Some people just don't get it. Maybe it'll come home to them in a few months when many and sometimes large companies start to call in the administrators. People just hammer on about how much Rico gets paid, which I agree is too much, however it's a drop in the ocean compared to our combined wages, which would need to be paid even if we stopped working. That's one hell of a cash burn daily ,if we are not taking any revenue. I would say in this day and age, the company wouldn't last long if we stopped working.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 22:30

Flashman_ wrote:The Gov. was happy to pay 80% pay to millions of other workers, to ensure their jobs remain, there is nothing essential about getting QVC crap sent to you. We should not be working, or only volunteers working to provide a skeleton service. Spain stopped postal services. Our offices simply cannot be made safe. Latest info clearly points to the virus spreading farther than first thought especially indoors. An infected person just speaking in the vicinity of others put them all at a very high risk of catching it.
In our office we still have a full office of staff,(notwithstanding people isolating or that have already walked) that are continually wandering around and talking and shouting. The heating is still on which gives a great stuffy atmosphere for the virus to travel around the office. They have staggered starts, single van working and attempted, but not policed 2m distancing. None of this will have any effect if anyone in the office has the virus because of what I said before.
It is simply not safe, and I am on the verge of walking out, at the moment I am relying on hope that no one in our office has it!

I SAT AGAIN WE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING.

Yeah I agree, it's not ideal, but do you go to the supermarket? Do you feel safer there? Think about it, 90% of posties if they had a slightest hint of a symptom, would be straight on the phone and not come in.

We should not be at work

07 Apr 2020, 22:59

rambo1 wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:The Gov. was happy to pay 80% pay to millions of other workers, to ensure their jobs remain, there is nothing essential about getting QVC crap sent to you. We should not be working, or only volunteers working to provide a skeleton service. Spain stopped postal services. Our offices simply cannot be made safe. Latest info clearly points to the virus spreading farther than first thought especially indoors. An infected person just speaking in the vicinity of others put them all at a very high risk of catching it.
In our office we still have a full office of staff,(notwithstanding people isolating or that have already walked) that are continually wandering around and talking and shouting. The heating is still on which gives a great stuffy atmosphere for the virus to travel around the office. They have staggered starts, single van working and attempted, but not policed 2m distancing. None of this will have any effect if anyone in the office has the virus because of what I said before.
It is simply not safe, and I am on the verge of walking out, at the moment I am relying on hope that no one in our office has it!

I SAT AGAIN WE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING.

Yeah I agree, it's not ideal, but do you go to the supermarket? Do you feel safer there? Think about it, 90% of posties if they had a slightest hint of a symptom, would be straight on the phone and not come in.


Far safer in a large supermarket than our deathtrap offices, more distancing.

And you're not in a supermarket for hours a day, every day. And you're not touching hundreds or thousands of contaminated surfaces in a supermarket.

We should not be at work

08 Apr 2020, 04:11

We have staggered starts in place and it has pretty much solved the social distancing issue in our DO (not 100% as you still get someone ignoring the rules but it is much better than when we were all in at the same time).

When I get in now, all the IPS, mech and packets have been put by my frame so I don't need to walk around the office collecting anything (other than my lapsing and even that is getting bundled up to minimise people hovering around the lapsing frames). Maybe we are lucky with our DOM but he seems to be taking this seriously (after our rep applied a little pressure a few weeks ago!).

Initially I was hacked off at being asked to come in 90 mins later but it's working out ok to be fair (packets mad but mail is way down so I am not finding I am taking any longer out on delivery). Half the office have already gone out when I get in so there is a lot more space to work.

I know everyone is in different circumstances (vulnerable family, anxiety, different office layouts impacting distancing etc) but personally I would rather be working than stuck at home for weeks on end. I think that if a change was implemented (furlough, reduced hours etc) then we might find we never return to normal (it's going to be tough as it is as there is likely to be some knock on effect to RM as a result of the wider impact on the businesses and public that we rely on).

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2