not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

27 Mar 2020, 18:27

Hi guys, I don't know about other offices, but I work in a small office in S.E Kent and for the last 2-3 weeks the parcel situation (not so much the mail) is like Christmas Pressure! Anyway, we should all be pulling together and putting in hours if we want at this difficult time to clear everything and do our job as best as we can. Anyway, the higher ups are paying overtime this week and that is it. We have had lapsing all week for 2 weeks and I have been leaving it due to not having time in my duty hours without significant overtime being booked! Tomorrow we have 2 walks uncovered, anyway, I digress. What I cannot believe is that for the first time when I go back after next week (on leave from 30th for 1 week) I am going to be forced to start cutting off and bringing mail back, because the higher ups have an overtime ban after this week, beggars belief! I don't want to cut off and have customers (yes I know, techinally the sender is the customer) moaning at me because I missed a few loops/streets on certain days but what can you do? Any other offices being told the same?; no overtime?

Regards,
Dan

27 Mar 2020, 18:32

Apparently yes...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94776

27 Mar 2020, 19:58

Hope the 739 cards have dropped off soget the counter staff on delivery

27 Mar 2020, 20:15

POSTMAN wrote:Apparently yes...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94776

Oh sorry, should have had a look first; my bad :(

27 Mar 2020, 20:19

Dingo99 wrote:Hi guys, I don't know about other offices, but I work in a small office in S.E Kent and for the last 2-3 weeks the parcel situation (not so much the mail) is like Christmas Pressure! Anyway, we should all be pulling together and putting in hours if we want at this difficult time to clear everything and do our job as best as we can. Anyway, the higher ups are paying overtime this week and that is it. We have had lapsing all week for 2 weeks and I have been leaving it due to not having time in my duty hours without significant overtime being booked! Tomorrow we have 2 walks uncovered, anyway, I digress. What I cannot believe is that for the first time when I go back after next week (on leave from 30th for 1 week) I am going to be forced to start cutting off and bringing mail back, because the higher ups have an overtime ban after this week, beggars belief! I don't want to cut off and have customers (yes I know, techinally the sender is the customer) moaning at me because I missed a few loops/streets on certain days but what can you do? Any other offices being told the same?; no overtime?

Regards,
Dan

Dan , management have started the fire by defrauding hours booked through hours capture. For example , i booked 20 mins on a Monday 2/3/2020 , only for my DOM to claim i finished 20 mins before the end of my shift on the Friday 6/3/2020 , even though i worked to my time. I have challenged about this and it is been looked into , but i won't be extending again for no one to push Pizza leaflets through doors!!

27 Mar 2020, 20:37

Some days walks are being delivered with two or three days worth of letters and flats in the frames. Parcels are being prioritized so they are being delivered daily. We had bad staff shortages due to illnesses and operation recoveries prior to the virus outbreak so staff shortages are worst I have seen in twenty years.
Anyone who offers to work their day off can do so if they want to otherwise walks will not be delivered. There is overtime for those delivering walks with more than a days worth of mail. At least one walk in our office has not had the D2D prepped so they won't be delivered this week on those walk/s and will fail. Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....

27 Mar 2020, 20:48

2 weeks ago got told no overtime from now. If we can't complete leave 1 row & deliver that 1st next day, anything left deliver that 1st next day & keep rotating like that so every day you have double mail in 1 row, but deliver all parcels & remember NO overtime.

27 Mar 2020, 21:08

Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....

That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO

27 Mar 2020, 21:14

'2 walks uncovered' - that sounds like heaven !

Currently have about 60% attendance - We've had no OT all week, PTers are getting just the basic 30 hours, no coming in to prep, no excess, so bringing stuff back most days. It's getting ridiculous - packet bags and trays of mail piling up on frames.

27 Mar 2020, 21:15

I agree that parcels are through the roof at the moment, probably because most shops are closed. On the flip side however, is that most people are now in, so we gain time in not having to write P739 cards out. We was told at the beginning of the week that we would have “hardly any work by end of the week”! Obviously this turned out not to be true. I’ve also heard that from tomorrow (Saturday) we will be delivering 40% of the Coronavirus testing kits (Amazon delivering the other 60%). I have no idea how big these are or if they will go through letterboxes or not, but obviously it means even more packets for us. Anyway, I’m off for week from Monday for a well deserved rest!

27 Mar 2020, 21:19

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....

That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO

And where do you think these small DO's are going to put it all? Magic some extra space up? If the MC's run out of space then management will have to find another facility to place it all.

27 Mar 2020, 21:20

SpacePhoenix wrote:

Most of our 2nd class packets have been sent to glasgow last 2days from nimc.

27 Mar 2020, 21:33

The inbound mail at our MC is being held for one day at my MC the staffing is so poor. Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:

27 Mar 2020, 22:02

RM if they had any sense would start planning for delivering half a delivery mail each day with 2 days work on it, with other half left in frame for next day,
Would save time on bundling and then reprepping cut offs every day.

27 Mar 2020, 22:44

Munchboii wrote:Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:

I wonder how long it'll be before MCs and MPUs all revert to walk sort only. It would mean less staff needed on wave 1 at least, if wave 2 were made to finish later then they could do the same on wave 2, freeing up more staff for the packets and Tracked (maybe SD lockers if some of the mech staff are also SD locker trained)

27 Mar 2020, 22:48

I am a Part-time and a Reserve. Owing to Corona etc, some of us have been starting at 1100 so that we can all have a van to ourselves. In that respect it has worked well. On the flip side however, today was my fifth day running where I have been put on a round that was not taken out the previous day!

The amount of letters and parcels has been ridiculous and today in particular I had to split all of my loops/bags into two and every bag was still full. My issues have been compounded by the fact that I have only ever done each of the walks a couple of times at best and obviously with a driver and so therefore only half of the loops etc.

I made it very clear to my Manager that I wasn’t happy that this was how my working week has gone, especially when I know many of my colleagues have simply worked their normal duty and so have had just the normal amount of mail each day. He seemed genuinely apologetic and to be fair has paid me for going over approximately one/two hours each day, however, it still infuriates me that they are happy to do it a small minority of us until we are basically at breaking point.

28 Mar 2020, 00:19

josetork wrote:I am a Part-time and a Reserve. Owing to Corona etc, some of us have been starting at 1100 so that we can all have a van to ourselves. In that respect it has worked well. On the flip side however, today was my fifth day running where I have been put on a round that was not taken out the previous day!

The amount of letters and parcels has been ridiculous and today in particular I had to split all of my loops/bags into two and every bag was still full. My issues have been compounded by the fact that I have only ever done each of the walks a couple of times at best and obviously with a driver and so therefore only half of the loops etc.

I made it very clear to my Manager that I wasn’t happy that this was how my working week has gone, especially when I know many of my colleagues have simply worked their normal duty and so have had just the normal amount of mail each day. He seemed genuinely apologetic and to be fair has paid me for going over approximately one/two hours each day, however, it still infuriates me that they are happy to do it a small minority of us until we are basically at breaking point.

Wow youre a super trooper. If they are doing that to you it means you're one of their best postmen. Well that's what my old boss used to say.

I've been there where it's been a different walk every day. My worst day was half a rural with only 1 day training and then straight into half a walk blind back to back. When that was going on my stress was through the roof. That was at an earlier stage in my career and I saw it as something I had to crack on with to progress. Worked out okay in the end, but still I was in a very low place while that was going on.

28 Mar 2020, 08:11

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Munchboii wrote:Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:

I wonder how long it'll be before MCs and MPUs all revert to walk sort only. It would mean less staff needed on wave 1 at least, if wave 2 were made to finish later then they could do the same on wave 2, freeing up more staff for the packets and Tracked (maybe SD lockers if some of the mech staff are also SD locker trained)

We will only be doing wave one as from last night.

28 Mar 2020, 08:18

josetork wrote:I am a Part-time and a Reserve. Owing to Corona etc, some of us have been starting at 1100 so that we can all have a van to ourselves. In that respect it has worked well. On the flip side however, today was my fifth day running where I have been put on a round that was not taken out the previous day!

Similar here only it’s by choice I start a bit later (usually midday) and I’m on 5 hours a day.

On the plus side, there’s not often a van available, all the HCTs rounds have gone to the non drivers and I’m usually stood around till gone 1pm for a van to be ready.

I’m told to just take what I can, I’m a reserve and I struggle to look at a round and remember how long a loop will take (unless it’s a round I really know inside out) so I just use the HTPostman calculation which is a loop usually averages 30mins.

End result is I do my first letter about 1.30pm, my last 4.15pm so I’m doing 4 or 5 bags plus packets

I don’t think it’s the best use of my time but I’m not responsible for van shortages and due to the current situation I’m only doing my hours. Management are happy I’m at least helping out and I’m happy avoiding the crowded indoor sorting office at peak time.

I’m about £150 a week down because I’m not doing my usual overtime but I’m a lot less stressed about things.

28 Mar 2020, 09:53

SpacePhoenix wrote:

Well they will need to rent more storage space. Beacuase DO's most definitely do not have the space!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2