not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

26 Mar 2020, 17:07

I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
Last edited by nightcrawler on 26 Mar 2020, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Annual leave question

26 Mar 2020, 17:15

nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I won’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me come in due to unprecedented staff shortages?

IIRC in normal circumstances they have to give you the same amount of notice as that your leave is for (so a weeks notice for a week off).

So they've missed that deadline. And the latest Coronavirus Q & A https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94964 state

An employee in my office wants to cancel their holiday and take it another time what should I do?

The expectation is that employee’s will still take the time off for their holiday. Having a rest is important for everyone especially at this time. Employee’s should only carry forward 5 days holiday at the end of the year. If due to operational reasons the local manager needs the employee to attend work then in exceptional circumstances they can agree for employee to return to work earlier and take their holiday at another time.

So that doesn't state they can force you, only if you want to cancel your holiday.

Annual leave question

26 Mar 2020, 17:19

Hah, if they tried that with me I would be gone every day if anyone came within two metres of me at any point regardless of bottlenecks.

27 Mar 2020, 09:46

I had a manager once come to me on a Friday and say am I aware they can cancel my short 4 day break (I was taking the following Monday to Thursday off).

I told him I’m fully aware, but asked if he’s aware he must also give the same amount of notice, meaning he needed to tell me yesterday.

Just play the game.

27 Mar 2020, 10:24

Offer to do some volunteer work for the NHS.

27 Mar 2020, 17:58

I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.

27 Mar 2020, 18:51

Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.

I’d rather just have the time away from danger, given that the virus is projected to reach its UK peak in the next two to three weeks.

27 Mar 2020, 21:17

Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.

I have some painting and decorating to do, but yeah each to their own.

28 Mar 2020, 08:03

Maybe it's a local thing , but in our MC we have been told we have to take our leave and can't cancel it.

28 Mar 2020, 09:26

You asked for annual leave in advance and were allocated it is not on some whim you need those dates of leave or around them. Trouble with RM is you will never get them day's back if you don't take them so politely tell them to do one!

28 Mar 2020, 14:57

nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?

Just had a week off, and no one asked me to go in and if they did they would be told to NO!

28 Mar 2020, 14:59

Well, I have just finished and they never even asked me if I wanted to cancel it. As far am I’m concerned I’m now off for a week :nana thanks fo all your replies :thumbup

28 Mar 2020, 17:55

NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.

28 Mar 2020, 18:16

rambo1 wrote:NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.

With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:

“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.

“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”

The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.

29 Mar 2020, 00:34

FacesOfStone wrote:
With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:

“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.

“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”

The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.

Worse case scenario: If you are not happy with the steps taken within your DO to ensure Social Distancing, you are quite within your rights to go home and self isolate. There has been enough communications from both RM and the CWU laying out the provisions for staying at home.... and the entitlement to sick pay. Some adjustments have been made for colleagues on new contracts who would normally have to wait 12 months to qualify for Sick Pay. Just check out your DO Notice Boards for the FACTS :hmmmm

TBH having to listen to loads of moaning Posties every day is wearing everyone else down whose trying to work in the Office. It doesn't do anyone's Mental health any good. I realise everyone has a different attitude to risk, and some people are genuinely frightened of the situation. Bottom Line: If you don't feel safe ... Stay at Home. Worry about the consequences after the crisis has passed. :hmmmm

Too many people are saying they're in the High Risk Group .... Yet they're still coming in to work :shock: People are complaining that RM hasn't done enough, yet they seem incapable of observing basic Social Distancing, and insist on gathering in groups to have a chat.... or queing up to collect Specials .... that means no more whispering with your mate on his frame (it's an Old Habit but it needs to end) FFS Get the Message 2 metre spacing :arrrghhh

I don't think we need to get frightened about it. Take the "Official Advice" .... Use your Common Sense ... and Stay Safe. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1