not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Letters not pushed all the way through

13 Mar 2020, 18:37

Had a complaint about customers letters not pushed all the way through letter box.The letters have been pushed through (not showing outside) but not landed on his floor.The letter box is one with brush inside so gets stuck sometimes.He is a pain in the arse.He reckons that the guys who deliver flyers could nick his post.How do we stand on this.

13 Mar 2020, 18:42

wazer wrote:Had a complaint about customers letters not pushed all the way through letter box.The letters have been pushed through (not showing outside) but not landed on his floor.The letter box is one with brush inside so gets stuck sometimes.He is a pain in the arse.He reckons that the guys who deliver flyers could nick his post.How do we stand on this.

He might be a pain in the arse, but he's correct on this. The mail should be pushed all the way through the letter box. Use a dog peg if it's a shitty letterbox.

13 Mar 2020, 18:54

not delivered no access?

13 Mar 2020, 19:10

Murdoch wrote:
wazer wrote:Had a complaint about customers letters not pushed all the way through letter box.The letters have been pushed through (not showing outside) but not landed on his floor.The letter box is one with brush inside so gets stuck sometimes.He is a pain in the arse.He reckons that the guys who deliver flyers could nick his post.How do we stand on this.

He might be a pain in the arse, but he's correct on this. The mail should be pushed all the way through the letter box. Use a dog peg if it's a shitty letterbox.

had the same complaint. so used a postpeg. he complained cos his mail was folded in half. :arrrghhh

13 Mar 2020, 19:22

Last edited by exetererica on 22 Apr 2020, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.

13 Mar 2020, 19:24

exetererica wrote:
Murdoch wrote:

No he isn't.

So long as the mail can't be seen from the outside, we have done our job.

The problem here is the flap and brush on the back of the letterbox; if they were no flap or brush, the mail will land on the floor.

As for the dog pegs, these are for known dogs - not brushes and pegs.

:thumbup

13 Mar 2020, 19:34

exetererica wrote:No he isn't.

So long as the mail can't be seen from the outside, we have done our job.

The problem here is the flap and brush on the back of the letterbox; if they were no flap or brush, the mail will land on the floor.

As for the dog pegs, these are for known dogs - not brushes and pegs.

He is though, despite you creating an arbitrary "if it's out of sight it's delivered" policy that doesn't exist. It really isn't difficult to push mail fully through a letterbox, it's an extremely minor thing to complain about. But we have deal with anal people all the time while going about our duties. Being anal back, isn't always the best response.

You're being pedantic about the dog peg, if it truly is difficult to post letters all the way through a particular letterbox, then a peg would undoubtedly help.

13 Mar 2020, 19:47

I deliver to a whole brand new estate where EVERY letterbox has brushes behind the letterbox, then another 'spring loaded' letterbox flap on the inside. it is a total pain in the arse. so I just fold the mail and push it as far as it will go. just had the one complain in the last 5 yrs since its been built.

13 Mar 2020, 19:51

in order to push letters all the way through you run the risk of getting a dog bite also

13 Mar 2020, 19:57

Why does anyone want their letters brushed anyway?

13 Mar 2020, 20:06

one manager said a few years back, its 'technically' classed as trespassing if you put your fingers through a letterbox.

13 Mar 2020, 20:14

daveyeff wrote:I deliver to a whole brand new estate where EVERY letterbox has brushes behind the letterbox, then another 'spring loaded' letterbox flap on the inside. it is a total pain in the arse. so I just fold the mail and push it as far as it will go. just had the one complain in the last 5 yrs since its been built.

New builds trying to be clever by reinventing the wheel are the worst, for sure.

I routinely fold letters when delivering to stiffer letterboxes, it's the only common sense way to do it. Sounds to me like you're doing exactly what I do with those types of letterboxes.

If you fold the mail, you really don't need to put your fingers through a letterbox. The only exception would be thin door to doors, and I would never post those by themselves through those types of letterboxes.

13 Mar 2020, 20:42

I fold all my mail lengthways, my fingers never breach the letterbox, I have told customers who have stiff & hard to post letterbox to have a go at posting in their own box, that usually does the trick :angel

13 Mar 2020, 21:12

New builds are the worst, I always fold and push, never put my fingers through any letter box.
I`m glad some media picked up on these anti theft letterboxes: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 18&t=94560

13 Mar 2020, 21:15

Its Royal Mail policy that you should never put your fingers through the letterbox and a bit of plastic i.e. dog peg is next to useless when it comes to a really stiff letterbox. So just tell the customer to sort their letterbox out and if not, just say you can't post anything in future unless its sorted :thumbup

13 Mar 2020, 21:33

twoloops wrote:I fold all my mail lengthways, my fingers never breach the letterbox, I have told customers who have stiff & hard to post letterbox to have a go at posting in their own box, that usually does the trick :angel

I had a guy have a go at me about folding post. Asked him to come out and post it without folding and it's bent up in his hand. His face was a picture!

Sometimes like a really small corner of mail gets stuck when the internal flap comes down and traps it and we can't always see it.

But I'd just apologise and say I've not done it intentionally no worries from now on

13 Mar 2020, 22:22

Cheers all.He did complain before ( i was on sick when deliverd)Spoke to him 2 weeks ago and said sometimes it does get stuck or jammed he was lovely and oh its ok.Just a sad tosser with nothing else to do.I even put his parcels round garden when not in.Hope he enjoys drive to collection office.

13 Mar 2020, 22:48

wazer wrote:Cheers all.He did complain before ( i was on sick when deliverd)Spoke to him 2 weeks ago and said sometimes it does get stuck or jammed he was lovely and oh its ok.Just a sad tosser with nothing else to do.I even put his parcels round garden when not in.Hope he enjoys drive to collection office.

That's the most effective way to deal with people that put in official complaints for something so minor.

Just be extremely pleasant and polite, do everything by the book, and don't engage with them beyond that. And of course, never take any risks with delivering parcels to safeplaces or neighbours, that leaves you wide open to another complaint :chuckle

14 Mar 2020, 16:02

wallop wrote:Why does anyone want their letters brushed anyway?

It gets rid of the Corona Virus obviously!!

14 Mar 2020, 18:52

Folks, just make sure you don't go to extremes like this postal worker in Russia:

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2