not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

A discrete van delivery network?

13 Nov 2019, 21:22

Thoughts, from todays RM statement...

Shane O’Riordain added: “We have a plan to extend our network to deliver more parcels, more efficiently and effectively. This means delivering more parcels through our usual combined delivery of letters and parcels. We also want to tap into the growing demand for larger parcels and next day items. We want to do this by processing them separately and delivering them through a discrete van delivery network. Taken together, these developments will help us to return our UK business, where profits have fallen for the last four years, to growth.

13 Nov 2019, 21:52

POSTMAN wrote:Thoughts, from todays RM statement...

Shane O’Riordain added: “We have a plan to extend our network to deliver more parcels, more efficiently and effectively. This means delivering more parcels through our usual combined delivery of letters and parcels. We also want to tap into the growing demand for larger parcels and next day items. We want to do this by processing them separately and delivering them through a discrete van delivery network. Taken together, these developments will help us to return our UK business, where profits have fallen for the last four years, to growth.

Our network of drivers is key on this new plan, you will be the ones balancing the workflow and the arm for an extension, this will generate employment and profit.

13 Nov 2019, 22:10

Discreet = white vans? A totally different workforce from letter deliveries not employed by royal mail possibly GLS UK?

13 Nov 2019, 22:32

larger parcels and next day items

shall we call it PARCEL FORCE ??

14 Nov 2019, 06:09

DORSET##CENTRE wrote:larger parcels and next day items

shall we call it PARCEL FORCE ??

PARCEL FORCE is not discrete.

14 Nov 2019, 11:03

Rumple wrote:PARCEL FORCE is not discrete.

Parcel Force is not discrete yet.

It soon will be if RM get their way.

14 Nov 2019, 12:59

Sound like self employed Drivers with own white van, saving on costs i.e.wages, vehicle running costs. GLS comes to mind in mainland European countries. This is part of their big plan ! :mad

14 Nov 2019, 17:47

The gig economy

14 Nov 2019, 17:54

This guessing game doesn't help anyone, Can we please try and FIND SOME FACTS ON THIS

14 Nov 2019, 20:42

nodmijer wrote:Sound like self employed Drivers with own white van, saving on costs i.e.wages, vehicle running costs. GLS comes to mind in mainland European countries. This is part of their big plan ! :mad

This sounds like the most likely meaning for Shane's remark.
Alternatively Shane is in the process of learning the alphabet and while reading the D section of a dictionary he found a new word.

15 Nov 2019, 16:08

citypostie wrote:Discreet = white vans? A totally different workforce from letter deliveries not employed by royal mail possibly GLS UK?

My thoughts exactly. Being white they'll just blend in with the other ten thousand or more white vans delivering parcels up and down the country.

Parcel Force will just get TUPE'd and TUPE'd till it no longer exists and be called GLS.

Gig economy here RM come.

POSTMAN wrote:This means delivering more parcels through our usual combined delivery of letters and parcels.

No we won't! If they collapse an extra duty to cover what's going over to the LAT hubs they'll not be enough time to do more.

15 Nov 2019, 17:32

leolion855 wrote:This guessing game doesn't help anyone, Can we please try and FIND SOME FACTS ON THIS

The statement quoted by postman was put out by RM Ivory Towers...we'll just have to wait until there's a further announcement
from RM which will be unagreed and without joint consultation with CWU.

17 Nov 2019, 13:10

I can't get past the choice of wording here. Discreet? What?

Discreet is pretending not to hear or not commenting when the vicar breaks wind whilst reaching for another biscuit. Discreet is plain packaging for your penis enlarging pump. I should imagine. In RM terms being discreet is not voicing the opinion that your manager is a prime twat whenever he slithers up to your frame. Or not saying anything when it's your turn to van share again with that one postie in the DO who really should shower more often.

Why does a delivery van have to be discreet? How can a van even be discreet, ramping up the kerb outside your house, doors slamming as the driver jumps out like Starsky and Hutch and searches frantically for your parcel?

Or does it have another meaning that I am not aware of? Please help. This is puzzling and bothering me way more than it should.

17 Nov 2019, 13:13

And having read the OP again I'm more confused. It actually says discrete, which is something to do with voice patterns or so Google tells me.

What's happening? :crazy:

18 Nov 2019, 11:05

*sigh*

Discrete and continuous data. Look it up. Basically it means that there will be no overlap in services between the vans doing larger/next day and the rest of the RM network. Make no mistake, this is stripping a lot of work out of your offices and the core network and taking that existing volume of mail and setting up another company to do it. No doubt on similar terms to all the other firms.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2