not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 20:57

Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 20:59

What are the other left handers in the office doing ?

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 21:11

Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 21:23

Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 21:44

Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner

Left handed

12 Oct 2018, 21:47

SpacePhoenix wrote:Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?

I don't know about slowing you down when you're actually throwing in but a manager came round our gaff with similar story.

He alleged that the longer time comes about during bundling up because delivery frames work from left to right.

A left hander I know puts mail into the frame with the address on an individual letter visible to the right hand side of the slot - so when
you're pulling mail out of the frame to bundle up it has to be pulled out slot by slot to maintain delivery sequence rather than 5/6
frame slots at a time when the address is showing on the left (which follows the progression of how
the frame delivery is set). He doesn't have any double slots on his frame - it's a rural. I would imagine a
frame with a lot of double slots makes it really awkward and slows it down more.

It must slow an experienced left hander down by maybe all of a minute.....

I know of another left hander who works around this by throwing the individual letters in upside down but with the address on the letter to the left in the slot.
All he has to do is turn the bundle the right way up after bundling with laggy band - whatever you do don't prep/help on his frame otherwise it all gets
screwed up!!!!

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 05:15

LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 05:58

Blaine wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.

I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 10:15

I used to do the aplus and labels, for the left handlers in my office I redid the labels for them so they were suitable for them. so It can be done for left handed , just needs a bit of thought. So the frames just need 2 lots of labels. A frame once you have the labels could be changed.

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 13:50

DrSatan wrote:
Blaine wrote:

It’s a real pain.

I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.

Interesting technique.

I think what I meant is the same though, I hold the same, grab the same, but I use my right hand fingers to sort of drag the letter so that it sticks up at the edge you’re grabbing it with - that’s what I meant by the flipping action.

I feel it’s slower but maybe it’s just a card I like to play now and again.

I wonder if other forums are as exciting as this.

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 14:00

I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 16:01

I'm left handed and put the mail into the frame with my left hand and have never had to flip a letter as described.
I also double prep, and would consider myself as quick.
Do not stand for it, its discrimination pure and simple.

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 19:59

scoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination

Correct

Left handed

13 Oct 2018, 21:53

tansorboy wrote:I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!

Me too and I'm right handed.

Left handed

14 Oct 2018, 02:00

The screws will look at any spurious reason for some kind of perceived delay in you getting out of the office. I'm left handed too and throw the mail up held with the right hand and addresses showing to the left. Not slower. What slows you down is the debate about why you are suposedly slower. what a farce.

Left handed

14 Oct 2018, 08:05

Creditshampoo wrote:

Correct

When did being left handed become a protected characteristic?

Left handed

14 Oct 2018, 09:05

Hmmmmm...... this seems to a perfect analogy for RM management - the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing :crazy:

Left handed

14 Oct 2018, 13:14

clashcityrocker wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:

Correct

Left-handers are generally more intelligent than right-handers. It is not a disability, The curse is having to live in a right-handed world.

Left handed

15 Oct 2018, 14:22

tansorboy wrote:
Left-handers are generally more intelligent than right-handers. It is not a disability, The curse is having to live in a right-handed world.

Though I still prefer the days when they were tied to a stake and burnt.
Sinister and all that.
Last edited by clashcityrocker on 15 Oct 2018, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Left handed

15 Oct 2018, 14:35

clashcityrocker wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:

Correct

When you've only got one hand? :Very Happy

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2