ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

At application screening stage for local DO, had no luck in applications to DOs elsewhere- and wanting to move ASAP...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hilly_billy
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 03:38
Gender: Male

At application screening stage for local DO, had no luck in applications to DOs elsewhere- and wanting to move ASAP...

Post by hilly_billy »

Hello all :wave

I've been applying for jobs at numerous DOs away from my hometown, hoping to relocate. I thought I had a pretty sound application and did OK with the online tests- but had about 8-10 rejections on those. I did apply at a local DO, and lo and behold, had a decent interview and now reached the vetting stage!

My predicament is this- I would really like to relocate ASAP to London (where my previous applications had failed). 1. Is there a known preference for local applicants who won't need to relocate? (wondering why I failed on so many applications) 2. I've heard varying reports of probation periods before any transferring- one stating an almost instant transfer, while others mentioning 6 or even 12 months. So I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to continue with the application locally or keep trying with other applications?

I am serious about the job, I just could really do with it being elsewhere! Any pointers, tips or opinions?

Cheers :thumbup
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

At application screening stage for local DO, had no luck in applications to DOs elsewhere- and wanting to move ASAP...

Post by spen »

6 months at the office you start at before you can transfer
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

At application screening stage for local DO, had no luck in applications to DOs elsewhere- and wanting to move ASAP...

Post by Ricardo44 »

The reason you are getting rejected by other offices is probably because you are from outside the area and so will have no local knowledge of the area of the offices you have applied to.

They may have plenty of applicants to select from who live locally and know the area and so have no reason to take someone on from outside the area which does make sense really.

If you were already employed by RM on a permanent contract it might be possible to get a transfer to another office but it could take a long time and there is no guarantee of getting it.