not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

OPG given DOM, LM and WPC tasks

17 Jan 2017, 21:08

Following my thread the other week about additional work for RLE and DOM support within my office, i have found out the following.
Each taks is detailed and shows who is responsible for it - DOM, LM, WPC.

The new additional tasks are:
Key Control - ensuring keys are labelled correctly and kept in the key cabinet - well we don't have any keys that are issued from the RLE so that's strange. Vehicle keys are not included in this. DOM, LM.

PDA's. Ensuring they are downloaded each day. Also about returning faulty ones to IT. LM, WPC

Fire. Testing alarms, ensuring exits are clear,checking extinguishers and signage, arranging fire drills. DOM

Site Inspections. Ensuring the building and equipment is fit for purpose and complies with SHEMS and weekly SMAT's observations. DOM, LM, WPC.

SD compliance. Ensuring SD items are dealt with correctly and meet their delivery timescale. Ensure nobody is taking out more SD items than they should with the delivery equipment they should be using. DOM, DLM, OPG

So the SD compliance is just about the only task that is actually listed as something i should/ could be responsible for.
Whilst i'm keen to protect my duty i have more than enough work to fill my full hours every day and don't need any extra.
This appears to me as just an exercise to reduce the amount of work my DOM and lino do.

Am i just supposed to suck it up and get on with it. Obviously i realise that it really doesn't matter what i do within my hours - as directed and all that.
Nothing has actually been done about any of this as yet - it's information that i'm not supposed to know about but is bundled together with my name on it and is called a 'transitional action plan'.

Please don't suggest asking my Rep.
Having worked for RM about 4 years longer than him he still thinks the indoor staff do nothing but sit around drinking coffee when he goes out on delivery and has actually said that - so he's probably agreed to all this.

17 Jan 2017, 23:04

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

18 Jan 2017, 07:18

SD compliance. Ensuring SD items are dealt with correctly and meet their delivery timescale. Ensure nobody is taking out more SD items than they should with the delivery equipment they should be using. DOM, DLM, OPG

Without knowing the source of the information it's difficult to say with any certainty, but as far as I can see there is no extra work involved. Your indicator says OPG, well every OPG is already responsible for making sure SD items and dealt with correctly, every OPG is responsible for ensuring that their PDA downloads (or is reported if not), every OPG should be aware of the security rules. Ergo, no one should have extra work put on them, especially not those that are a manager's responsibility.

18 Jan 2017, 16:10

Sorry TBT,
That was the point i was trying to make.
The SD compliance is something i am already doing and responsible for - although trying to enforce the limits on the number of SD items given to a delivery duty depending on the equipment used is a non starter when management will just say give them to them.

As stated the rest of the so called additional tasks are either DOM, LM or WPC tasks and responsibilities.
I'm guessing if the management cull that we've heard of actually transpires then they will look to off load some managerial work but i'm not having it.
Management and WPC gets paid more than me - so let them do the jobs that are their responsibilities.

18 Jan 2017, 19:49

Mezza wrote:The SD compliance is something i am already doing and responsible for - although trying to enforce the limits on the number of SD items given to a delivery duty depending on the equipment used is a non starter when management will just say give them to them.

Get the manager to put that in writing otherwise if anything goes wrong they'll deny telling you that and probably conduct code you

16 Jul 2020, 11:50

Told dom is doing SMATs on is. What’s that mean?

16 Jul 2020, 16:30

Mezza wrote:Following my thread the other week about additional work for RLE and DOM support within my office, i have found out the following.
Each taks is detailed and shows who is responsible for it - DOM, LM, WPC.

The new additional tasks are:
Key Control - ensuring keys are labelled correctly and kept in the key cabinet - well we don't have any keys that are issued from the RLE so that's strange. Vehicle keys are not included in this. DOM, LM.

PDA's. Ensuring they are downloaded each day. Also about returning faulty ones to IT. LM, WPC

Fire. Testing alarms, ensuring exits are clear,checking extinguishers and signage, arranging fire drills. DOM

Site Inspections. Ensuring the building and equipment is fit for purpose and complies with SHEMS and weekly SMAT's observations. DOM, LM, WPC.

So the SD compliance is just about the only task that is actually listed as something i should/ could be responsible for.
Whilst i'm keen to protect my duty i have more than enough work to fill my full hours every day and don't need any extra.
This appears to me as just an exercise to reduce the amount of work my DOM and lino do.

Am i just supposed to suck it up and get on with it. Obviously i realise that it really doesn't matter what i do within my hours - as directed and all that.
Nothing has actually been done about any of this as yet - it's information that i'm not supposed to know about but is bundled together with my name on it and is called a 'transitional action plan'.

Please don't suggest asking my Rep.
Having worked for RM about 4 years longer than him he still thinks the indoor staff do nothing but sit around drinking coffee when he goes out on delivery and has actually said that - so he's probably agreed to all this.

Work place coaches should have no responsibility for any of that beyond perhaps a training element on PDAs and Specials handling. But not day to day paperwork/admin.

16 Jul 2020, 16:50

Just because one is accountable for something... doesn't mean they have to actually do it, accountability runs down hill.

16 Jul 2020, 20:22

There's a fair amount of work that has gone from RLE in recent years. Prior to PDA's, all cards had to be scanned when returned - not only the undelivered but ALL delivered signed fors as well. Most callers cards had to have every barcode manually input as there were no barcodes left on the item to transfer to the card. All this work has dwindled to just one scan of undelivered items on return to show they are at the office. This has saved quite a bit of time!

Surcharge cards in many offices are printed, not manually written out.

Everybody is being pressured to do more now, both outdoor and indoor. As long as you can take your full breaks and what's being asked does not take you over your time then as long as you are trained to do the task there can be little room to argue?

16 Jul 2020, 20:45

barncopxx wrote:There's a fair amount of work that has gone from RLE in recent years. Prior to PDA's, all cards had to be scanned when returned - not only the undelivered but ALL delivered signed fors as well.

All the "confirmation of delivery" cards used to all get sent to 1 office which scanned them in for the whole of the UK

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1