not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 16:21

Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 17:43

THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 17:48

Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 18:40

rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.


Yes, I wear my own too now, a pair of Merrell trainers. They cost £95 and I REALLY had to push myself to buy them as I don't think it's right we should have to buy our own footwear. However the Royal Mail ones are a heap of poo and will do damage, maybe even permanent damage to my feet. I don't have a doctors note but I make sure the trainers are all black. Managers, in my office at least don't seem to notice/care.

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 18:49

Royal Mail footwear crippled me and my doctor said that he had so many postmen come in for a letter he had a template for it. Since I got my own footwear my feet have gone back to normal in 3 weeks

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 20:40

lightningpostman wrote:THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.

Let's face it,the majority of the stuff they provide is rubbish,raincoats that leak,trousers that look awful and are ill fitting,with no redeeeming features,baseball cap,is okay though

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 20:55

The YDS are great. Comfortable the first time I wore them and still going well.
I did lots of walking before I joined RM and the YDS are as good as anything I have bought privately. They are also water proof. I'm very critical of the "storm proof jacket" which is useless and definitely not waterproof but when I joined I asked around with the lads and 90% recommended YDS

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 21:00

Decided I can't carry on wearing those boots !
So I have invested in a pair of comfy DR Martin's today real comfy too. Weren't cheap either but like most of you say feet are important so the cost wasn't really important as long as they are comfortable that's the main thing ! Don't think I'll bother with the Drs note either the waiting list to get an appointment this time of year is almost 3 weeks.
By the way I would never recommend the RM Magnum Boots or Shoes they are the worst footwear I have ever worn. That's a note to any newbies getting new shoes
Thanks for the advice ppl :thumbup

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 21:04

telithowitis wrote:The YDS are great. Comfortable the first time I wore them and still going well.
I did lots of walking before I joined RM and the YDS are as good as anything I have bought privately. They are also water proof. I'm very critical of the "storm proof jacket" which is useless and definitely not waterproof but when I joined I asked around with the lads and 90% recommended YDS


Had a couple pair of those (YDS) but the soles wear really quickly I worn a pair of those out in 8 weeks !
They were really comfortable but they aren't great for this time of year. Prefer the Anvil for comfort but they aren't waterproof

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 22:53

For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.

Royal mail Footwear

18 Nov 2016, 23:16

Agree all RM shoes crap and not fit for purpose, just like uniform, vans and everything else. I prefer Salomon trainers - not cheap, but very comfortable and hard wearing. Also I've had some good trainers from Lidl and Aldi - comfortable and great value!

Royal mail Footwear

19 Nov 2016, 16:19

Mr Incognito wrote:For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.


Where did you get them? I want to get a pair.

Royal mail Footwear

19 Nov 2016, 17:18

rubberbond wrote:
lightningpostman wrote:THERE ALL CRAP,

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

there not designed for walking, royalmail needs to scrap them completly and give there posties contributions towards proper sportsware that were designed for walking/running, not that crap that hurts your feet, rubbs your feet causing laserations and all sorts of discomfort.

Let's face it,the majority of the stuff they provide is rubbish,raincoats that leak,trousers that look awful and are ill fitting,with no redeeeming features,baseball cap,is okay though


I'd disagree that the baseball cap is ok... I only feel the need to wear a cap in the summer to keep the sun off my face and shield my eyes, a dark grey cap is hardly ideal in fierce summer sun, it needs to be light coloured to reflect the suns rays.

Royal mail Footwear

19 Nov 2016, 19:51

woopesh wrote:
Mr Incognito wrote:For those of you having issues with RM's footwear, as I was, there is an American shoe manufacturer that goes by the name of Altra. Their shoes all feature wide toe boxes and what they call zero drop soles, basically the sole is the same height at the heel as it is at the toe. What this means is that your feet are allowed to act as naturally as they would if you were walking barefooted - the structures of you foot are allowed to spread out, the tendons in the foot can act as the perfect shock absorbers and the flat sole allows your achilles to work just like a tensioned spring which means less fatigue for the calf muscles. When you consider that nature never intended us to wear anything on our feet, wearing most overly-cushioned motion control shoes (or cheap, poorly designed shoes) may cause all sorts of bio-mechanical issues - as i discovered.

Since wearing the Altra's I have found that I have no more issues with foot or knee pain, my feet no longer feel like they are on fire after a couple of hours walking and I no longer seem to suffer from chronic lower limb muscle fatigue. These shoes are available in the UK but that aren't cheap at £110 a pair, however if you have a doctors cert then I believe that you can get RM to contribute to the cost.


Where did you get them? I want to get a pair.

I get them from here http://www.accelerateuk.com/shop/product/490/Footwear/Altra-Zero-Drop-Instinct-3-5/ The black and white ones are probably the only ones that you will get away with in work colourwise. Bear in mind that the shoe size is shown in UK sizes but they do come up 1/2 size small, so if you are a 9UK you will need to order a 9 1/2. Altra have their own website and there are plenty of reviews on Youtube too.

Royal mail Footwear

19 Nov 2016, 21:47

rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.

You are losing out on £30 free from rm for suitable then :confused :sad: :crazy:

Royal mail Footwear

19 Nov 2016, 22:06

aiden01 wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.

You are losing out on £30 free from rm for suitable then :confused :sad: :crazy:


True, but some doctors charge you for a note, so maybe he/she thinks it's not worth the effort

Royal mail Footwear

20 Nov 2016, 22:33

DiamondSmiles wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
Clared wrote:Does anyone else struggle with Footwear especially the walking boots ?
I'm fine with the Anvil type but soon has I put any boots on my feet they become very sore & blister.
Thinking of buying my own to wear but a colleague said I would need to get a doctor's note to wear them. I assume that means RM won't be liable if I have an accident wearing them. Does anyone wear their own footwear ?

I buy my own,because Royal Mail certainly won't look after my feet. I bought a pair of Hiax Boots ,they are brilliant,lightweight,hard wearing and comfortable,they have the best grip on wet surfaces of any boots I have ever worn. Yes they cost ,but as I say, Royal Mail won't look after my feet,so I must. I believe these boots are now issued to soldiers,so that's another recommendation for you. Oh and I don't have a note from my doctor, he is too busy to bother with Royal Mail bureaucratic stupidity.


Yes, I wear my own too now, a pair of Merrell trainers. They cost £95 and I REALLY had to push myself to buy them as I don't think it's right we should have to buy our own footwear. However the Royal Mail ones are a heap of poo and will do damage, maybe even permanent damage to my feet. I don't have a doctors note but I make sure the trainers are all black. Managers, in my office at least don't seem to notice/care.

I too share your views and buy my own merrel moabs. If you have a go outdoors shop, get a card for a fiver a yr and they price match any UK in stock shop, on line or otherwise AND give you 10% off that price too.

Royal mail Footwear

21 Nov 2016, 04:17

I find the Magnum boots are alright, I quite like mine but they are too heavy for some people (especially if you get the steel toecaps like I did). I believe the police use Magnums so they can't be that bad

Royal mail Footwear

22 Nov 2016, 22:22

Chewster wrote:I find the Magnum boots are alright, I quite like mine but they are too heavy for some people (especially if you get the steel toecaps like I did). I believe the police use Magnums so they can't be that bad


They rub on my toes giving me really bad blisters & yes I do where a thin pair of socks & a thick pair of boots socks with them but even that doesn't stop it

Royal mail Footwear

23 Nov 2016, 18:45

Clared wrote:
Chewster wrote:I find the Magnum boots are alright, I quite like mine but they are too heavy for some people (especially if you get the steel toecaps like I did). I believe the police use Magnums so they can't be that bad


They rub on my toes giving me really bad blisters & yes I do where a thin pair of socks & a thick pair of boots socks with them but even that doesn't stop it


My old uncle who's a builder always told me to wear boots a size too big to avoid that. I also have a set of orthotic insoles (cheap ones from Amazon) that really do help me. But perhaps they just don't agree with you, I personally don't get on particularly well with the trainers or hiking shoes and the like.

Sometimes if my feet are particularly sore (I've got flat feet and thus they do get really sore from time to time - in the wrong job lol) I switch to a pair of what would seem to be just completely unsuitable trainers - Vans, DCs, the like - for a couple of days and they sort me out. Of course they wouldn't last two months if I were to wear them every day with the amount of walking we do.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2