not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

MRM picks : Bank and public holidays

27 Apr 2015, 22:53

Bank holiday pay.PNG

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Time ... ummary.pdf
And here...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=68800

Thank you for your email to Moya’s Just Say It site. I am part of this team and have been asked to reply.

Our rules on bank holidays have been around for years and have not changed. What should happen is that, when a bank holiday falls on someone’s rest day, they should be given another day off that week. If that is not operationally sensible or is impracticable the people involved can have a day added to their holiday allocation or claim the hours as normal weekday overtime.

The benefit of our bank holidays is that they give everyone additional time off so when someone does not take their bank holiday due to it coinciding with their rest day the norm should be to try to give them another day off. Where that is impossible they can take the time as normal overtime, but of course this would not give them time off which was the intention of the bank holiday.

I hope my email has provided you with the clarification you were seeking and if I can help further please contact me.

Kind regards

Jane

Jane Ogden
Just Say It channel manager
Royal Mail – Chief Executive Office
Royal Mail Group Ltd
100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0HQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MRM.COM picks : Bank and public holidays

28 Apr 2015, 07:09

With a bank holiday looming, our reserves are all bracing themselves to have Monday as their day off.
Obviously our manager will say the workload won't allow a day off in the same week because the D/O relies on overtime,
so who gets to choose
A: a day credited (8) in total over the year, which most can never book off at a later date
B: book the time that week as overtime which will bust the managers budget?

28 Apr 2015, 07:34

You do.

It doesn't say "The manager can" it says "you can". To me that means the choice is yours.

Re: MRM picks : Bank and public holidays

28 Apr 2015, 16:18

Book your "B H excess" overtime if you have your day off on the bank holiday, it is your right, managers cannot refuse.

29 Apr 2015, 21:29

I told my manager today that I'd take the pay rather than an extra days holiday that I would never get to take. They said that its only if you actually work on the Bank holiday that you get the choice!!

30 Apr 2015, 07:27

Dubboy wrote:I told my manager today that I'd take the pay rather than an extra days holiday that I would never get to take. They said that its only if you actually work on the Bank holiday that you get the choice!!

He is wrong or he is trying to bamboozle you - You can

Involve the Union. Print off
Bank holiday pay.PNG
and push to get what you are entitled to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

30 Apr 2015, 11:04

What if you are off on paternity when the bank holiday hits?

30 Apr 2015, 12:23

GoingPostal86 wrote:What if you are off on paternity when the bank holiday hits?

You lose it. Paternity, Sick, Maternity and bank holidays are all statutory and you can't have 2 days statutory holiday based on the same day. So you only get it back when its your day off, or its when you are on annual leave. At least thats my understanding.

30 Apr 2015, 14:43

world class male wrote:With a bank holiday looming, our reserves are all bracing themselves to have Monday as their day off.
Obviously our manager will say the workload won't allow a day off in the same week because the D/O relies on overtime,
so who gets to choose
A: a day credited (8) in total over the year, which most can never book off at a later date
B: book the time that week as overtime which will bust the managers budget?

Looking at next weeks rota, my day off is bank holiday monday! :roll:

22 May 2015, 00:13

One of the very few perks of being a part time reserve. Always get BH as a day off, so money for nothing :Very Happy

22 May 2015, 11:43

Bank and public holidays
In Royal Mail:
If you’re not scheduled to work on a Bank holiday, you’ll receive the equivalent number of hours as a
credit to the hours you would have worked.

^^^^^^^ that's interesting.

My Duties on a Monday include one hour of Overtime - the overtime never gets paid on a B/H Monday. I've been waiting for the E.A.T. appeals to go one way or another before I address this issue.........BUT, if I am interpreting the above correctly, I should be getting that hours overtime paid no matter what.

23 May 2015, 06:18

Well our dom flat out refused to pay it as overtime in front of our area rep too.I had this printed out and showed them and it made no difference,the area rep said we have to agree with the manager a different day off and if we cannot agree to one then it can be paid as overtime... what a load of crap.It clearly states if they cannot offer you an alternative day the SAME week then i can take it as overtime ffs.What is the point in all this if the bloody area rep cannot even enforce it?? :arrrghhh I ended up getting monday off the following week instead.It felt to me like the rep hadno power at all and the dom just simpy said "you are not having it as overtime mate"

Iasked for a date 2 months away and was refused,i asked for another and was refused so i said "ok then as we cannot agree i will take it as overtime" but still NOTHING the rep said what about the following week? Why am i even paying the union if they cannot even enforce policies that are clearly stated? :roll:

23 May 2015, 15:47

2pints wrote:Well our dom flat out refused to pay it as overtime in front of our area rep too.I had this printed out and showed them and it made no difference,the area rep said we have to agree with the manager a different day off and if we cannot agree to one then it can be paid as overtime... what a load of crap.It clearly states if they cannot offer you an alternative day the SAME week then i can take it as overtime ffs.What is the point in all this if the bloody area rep cannot even enforce it?? :arrrghhh I ended up getting monday off the following week instead.It felt to me like the rep hadno power at all and the dom just simpy said "you are not having it as overtime mate"

Iasked for a date 2 months away and was refused,i asked for another and was refused so i said "ok then as we cannot agree i will take it as overtime" but still NOTHING the rep said what about the following week? Why am i even paying the union if they cannot even enforce policies that are clearly stated? :roll:

"Just say it" e-mail time, me thinks.

23 May 2015, 15:52

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
2pints wrote:Well our dom flat out refused to pay it as overtime in front of our area rep too.I had this printed out and showed them and it made no difference,the area rep said we have to agree with the manager a different day off and if we cannot agree to one then it can be paid as overtime... what a load of crap.It clearly states if they cannot offer you an alternative day the SAME week then i can take it as overtime ffs.What is the point in all this if the bloody area rep cannot even enforce it?? :arrrghhh I ended up getting monday off the following week instead.It felt to me like the rep hadno power at all and the dom just simpy said "you are not having it as overtime mate"

"Just say it" e-mail time, me thinks.

And cc uncle Bobby re area rep.

23 May 2015, 17:31

quite a few of our union members don't help the rest of us with their illogical working practices, they are there solely to look after #1
but reps can be weak too, ours seems to agree to everything, he definitely isn't there to look after #1, we pay our subs!
i often wonder if they are milking as much as they can when the royal mail/cwu union is no more in a few years.
our next pay rise will be about £4 per week, not from royal mail but from cancellations of the union subs.
don't they realise their days are numbered too?

24 May 2015, 11:44

Can someone answer me this question. Im on a 24hr 30min contract which in our office is over 4 days. I always work 5 days and one day is nominated as a dayout/in where I have to put it down as a day out.
I have had only one saturday off in 2015 which was brought up by my rep 2 months ago (i still havent had a saturday free since then). Anyway my day off conveniently is bank holiday monday and im in for the rest of the week and they have nominated my day out/in as saturday. Can I refuse to work next saturday seeing as ive never been asked to work my day out and I will have done all my contracted hours by the latest friday? I think its a cheek they have nominated a saturday as a day for me to be in work but to put it down as a day out.

26 May 2015, 07:11

On your wage slip does tis "day out" appear as overtime or standard hours? As long as you have done your contracted hours/days you do not have to work over that so yes you can have the saturday off.

27 May 2015, 13:03

so what do u do if your manager flat out ignores this? Grievance?

27 May 2015, 15:32

Stella102 wrote:so what do u do if your manager flat out ignores this? Grievance?

That is what someone is doing at my place.I emailed moya at "justsayit" and got a response:

"When a bank holiday falls on someone’s rest day they should be given another day off that week. If that is not operationally sensible or is impracticable the people involved can have a day added to their holiday allocation or claim the hours as normal weekday overtime. The benefit of our bank holidays is that they give everyone additional time off so when someone does not take their bank holiday due to it coinciding with their rest day the norm should be to try to give them another day off. Where that is impossible they can take the time as normal overtime which of course would not give them time off which was the intention of the bank holiday."

:Very Happy

28 May 2015, 07:58

Unfortunately i got another email saying that my office has certain operational needs and all reserves had monday off to meet those needs :crazy: Still no exuse to refuse to pay it as overtime as stated in policy so i will be chasing this with union,if area rep is no help can i go above him some how? I am like a dog with a bone if i think i am being taken for a ride i will not let this go :whistle

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3