not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

28 Sep 2012, 19:15

From this months Outdoor Bulletin
Think it deserves it's own thread.
Maybe even a stickie.
Now's your chance to make yourselves heard.

In recent months there has been an increase in the number of reports/queries coming into the department regarding bullying and harassment of our members in delivery offices. Stories of members feeling intimidated on a regular basis with most of this centring on members being forced to work beyond their time in order to complete deliveries or being accused of under performing or being slow. This type of approach will not be tolerated and we are currently gathering evidence from around the Country to raise this with Royal Mail at the highest level. If you have been or are subject to this or know someone who has or is please let the dept know by letter, or phone call or preferably by email to outdoorsecretary@cwu.org
Bob Gibson – CWU Assistant Secretary Outdoor

Re: Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

28 Sep 2012, 19:20

Are the union actually going to do something about bullying and harrassment in delivery offices or is this just another tick box exercise

28 Sep 2012, 19:28

I went to b and h on this very subject they said it was a grievance case not bullying harassment.

28 Sep 2012, 19:29

P13 wrote:Are the union actually going to do something about bullying and harrassment in delivery offices or is this just another tick box exercise

Just another box ticking exercise.............Billy and Dave will get some custard creams and come out of the meeting saying that everything is hunky dory :roll:

28 Sep 2012, 19:31

P13 wrote:Are the union actually going to do something about bullying and harrassment in delivery offices or is this just another tick box exercise

Who knows but if no-one comes forward they certainly won't do anything and it will be at least partly our own fault.
They have given us a platform to tell them what it really is like in delivery offices.
It would be criminal not to use it.

28 Sep 2012, 20:26

It's rife across the country because management are trying to save too many hours. Well certainly in my office.

28 Sep 2012, 20:37

Without any question of doubt, this is THE single most important issue going on at the moment, that effects delivery staff on a daily basis and appears to be rife throughout most of the DO's in the UK.
The intimidation directed towards individuals, who only wish to work their contracted hours, has been allowed to go on unaddressed by the Union at national level for far too long. The fact that the duty spans are often unachievable within normal time, results in pressure being put onto OPG's to complete delivery - with poor performance accusations directed towards these individuals who only wish to work contracted hours. This needs to be resolved nationally with the union and senior RM management urgently, that is the only solution. MANAGERS need to be instructed to stop this ongoing intimidation towards staff who wish to cut off at their finishing time and have suitable contingency plans in place!
Some areas seem to be worse than others but a national approach is required to stop the maverick managers out there, from imposing their own interpretation of "procedure" onto staff. Call it bullying or harassment, but I prefer to describe it as "intimidation" towards individuals who are only trying to "do the job properly". That is starting on time, having meal breaks and using the tools provided by RM to do the job safely! These people often find themselves under the most pressure and this cannot be allowed to continue without the CWU doing something at the very highest level within the HR establishment on behalf of those bullied staff !!!!

28 Sep 2012, 20:46

steven100 wrote:It's rife across the country because management are trying to save too many hours. Well certainly in my office.

its nothing to do with management, many managers are scared to get involved and turn a blind eye.
revisions are put in a rush and union reps agree to everything so the delivery staff are turning on each other.
and the biggest split is drivers against walking staff. since our revision no union meetings and no managers meetings
the office is rotten to the core and all to make a few savings.

28 Sep 2012, 20:54

Although not overtly bullying there is that element of part timers being coerced into working overtime which many don't want to do but feel obliged to do so in the off chance that they will receive a full time permanent contract.

28 Sep 2012, 20:58

I don't believe a word,I've never seen anybody being bullied or harassed in our office ;liar and the managers are all wonderful human beings.Your all just militant union rabble rousers who have thrown your toys out of the pram after getting the many wonderful pay increases.

29 Sep 2012, 00:35

Great thread, yes, without DGPs misinterpretations, :Very Happy , can we make this a sticky?

And please! Use the email people and report what it's really like.

29 Sep 2012, 04:35

This is how it goes in my office,
Postie - 8 45am “Boss got to much on today won’t be able to finish in time“
DOM - “your not due out till 10 30 it’s a bit early telling me now come back when your about to go out we will access the situation then”
Postie “Ok”
10 15 am Postie - “Boss still won’t be able to finish in time to much on won’t be able to do tracked or packets”
DOM - “it’s a bit late telling me now pal I have nobody and I mean nobody to cover anything on your duty, tell you what leave the packets just take the tracked”
Postie - “I’m not going over boss”
DOM “come and see me in the morning and I will pay you what you went over” Walks away!
DOM comes back "if your telling me you can't finish those two walks and the tracked and the mail traffic is down today well I will be speaking to you tomorrow on a performance issue"
Postie looks for Union rep, Union rep has been in early and long gone.

29 Sep 2012, 08:19

tommyrep wrote:Without any question of doubt, this is THE single most important issue going on at the moment, that effects delivery staff on a daily basis and appears to be rife throughout most of the DO's in the UK.
The intimidation directed towards individuals, who only wish to work their contracted hours, has been allowed to go on unaddressed by the Union at national level for far too long. The fact that the duty spans are often unachievable within normal time, results in pressure being put onto OPG's to complete delivery - with poor performance accusations directed towards these individuals who only wish to work contracted hours. This needs to be resolved nationally with the union and senior RM management urgently, that is the only solution. MANAGERS need to be instructed to stop this ongoing intimidation towards staff who wish to cut off at their finishing time and have suitable contingency plans in place!
Some areas seem to be worse than others but a national approach is required to stop the maverick managers out there, from imposing their own interpretation of "procedure" onto staff. Call it bullying or harassment, but I prefer to describe it as "intimidation" towards individuals who are only trying to "do the job properly". That is starting on time, having meal breaks and using the tools provided by RM to do the job safely! These people often find themselves under the most pressure and this cannot be allowed to continue without the CWU doing something at the very highest level within the HR establishment on behalf of those bullied staff !!!!

That is some first thread Tommy and ever so true. Great stuff :thumbup

Welcome to the forum :Applause

29 Sep 2012, 10:07

It's now down to the Local Reps to make sure that this in communicated to ALL, members and non-members, and encourage feedback at the earliest opportunity. We all talk about B&H because we all know how endemic it is within the organisation and have either been the subject of or witnessed to this type of behaviour. There must be zero tolerance and culprits, of all grades, who are found guilty should be dealt with fairly but in an manner that demonstrates RM's commitment to treating everyone with dignity and respect. I

n the past managers of all levels have clubbed together to protect each other and one of the main failings of the investigation procedure is that this is allowed to happen (as with the grievance procedure). Offices and Mail Centres have been allowed to investigate their own cases and this was never ever going to work. A fundamental change is needed which ensures that cases are investigated by independent, skilled individuals who do not know the people involved, have no vested interests and are not going to be intimidated by rank.

29 Sep 2012, 10:54

mclovin wrote:I went to b and h on this very subject they said it was a grievance case not bullying harassment.

Royal Mail Group on Diversity, equality & fairness
Royal Mail Group is seeking to create an inclusive culture in which everyone is valued and respected – and where discrimination, harassment, bullying and prejudice are not tolerated. So now you know!

But don't try to get a complaint of bullying and harassment accepted by the bullying and harassment department - they redefine everything as a grievance - that is their way of ensuring that bullying and harassment doesn't happen at Royal Mail!

Have any other members had their complaints of bullying and harassment redefined as grievances?
Anyone have any idea of how many complaints, if any, are actually accepted by the bullying and harassment department?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 23   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23