not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Do you enjoy your work?

14 May 2011, 16:10

Does anyone else enjoy being a postman. lot of the comments ive read seem to say that its a s**t job, but since the time ive been there ive really enjoyed it.
my DOM is pretty good as far as managers go, you can actually have a proper conversation without feeling like an underling. everyone in the office has been nothing but friendy. and walking tbh is not that hard if you just get on with it and dont moan every 2 mins, finished before 2 most days and before 1 on a saturday

just wondering if anyone else enjoys their job.

Re: Do you enjoy your work?

14 May 2011, 16:22

I think the problem is that most people used to enjoy the job, a few years back, we had 2 deliverys a day, 1 lot of D2D's per fortnight, time to have a cup of tea & time to do the job properly - - - and the company STILL made a good profit.

But since the DSA directive came into being , the jobs just gone down hill

14 May 2011, 16:29

Yes - I still think its the best job, but it could be better.

I work hard and I do the best I can for RM. But they do not trust me enough to recognise that. Which leads me to my main point there is a complete lack of trust in RM Management from the posties, and Management see us as a resource to be used rather than an asset to be supported. Get the polotics out of the job and change the culture of them and us and RM could be one of the best business to work for.

Although I am a little encouraged by Moya's statement that she wants to improve the culture, I am not convinced anything will change although I do live in hope.

14 May 2011, 18:06

agree with TBT, there is too much emphasis on money and savings. yes RM are in it to make money but our delivery office is continually being told to make unreasonable savings even though we are very understaffed which puts pressure on the rest of us.
otherwise love the job.

14 May 2011, 18:12

Surprisingly enough I do still enjoy the job. :shock: Nothing better than walking around in the fresh air with the sun on your face! :Very Happy

I don't enjoy the previously mentioned (in many posts) mucking about with duties, not knowing what your on from day to day, having to literally fight to get some overtime, etc etc. :mad

Agree with TBT that if we started to fight together, instead of against each other, we could really have a good company. While you've got thick lower and middle management just trying to manage their budget, so they can get their bonus, we're not really going to get much progress. :arrrghhh

14 May 2011, 18:42

I still enjoy the freedom of being out on the round and chatting to customers but the job has become so much harder. My delivery takes anything from 4hr 15min to 4hr 45min but iam finding that after 3hr 30min iam feeling fatigued.

I still think the money iam paid is very good for the responsibility involved for which I feel is only semi skilled. Trouble is iam twice as old from when I started and the deliveries are pretty much exactly twice as long.

14 May 2011, 19:03

this could only come from moya . whos finished before most days before 2 pm. ? what a joke

14 May 2011, 19:18

Yes, one of the best jobs I've ever had. :nana
The Civil service was known as 'better than working for a living' but I get more job satisfaction now. :nana

14 May 2011, 19:29

personally love the outdoor part of the job.sadly after 22 years plus of working with mostly the same people...they tend to grate on me!!!
the daily use of headphones helps..
indeed there are worse jobs,FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT??

14 May 2011, 20:06

like the outside part dislike the indoor part, soon as i walk out the office doors just feel the stress dissapear

14 May 2011, 20:41

Love the job

Just take each day as it comes. No matter how much s**t they throw my way, I know within two hours , I will be outside and away from it all :nana

14 May 2011, 21:21

Yes. Beats working for a living :Very Happy

14 May 2011, 22:54

I wonder how long its been since you guys had a real job?! :Very Happy Ive had the pleasure of working in a range of jobs the last 10 years from burger flipping to managing on a building site and i think RM rates pretty low to be honest!

15 May 2011, 07:41

i have been in 23 years now and i still like it. i think some times it harder if you been in the job more then 10 years as it was a great job so you look back and compare now its just a job there are still worse jobs to do :cool

15 May 2011, 12:28

Still like and enjoy the job even after 25 years,dont enjoy or like some of the colleagues i work with :whistle but then they more then likely feel the same about me :cuppa

15 May 2011, 13:00

:sad: No--I used to love the job, but it has changed for the worse beyond all recognition! Good job gone wrong! Probably enjoy delivering leaflets for private companies now though!
(Still have outside aspect of job, could pick and choose when amd where to work etc)

15 May 2011, 15:57

for me its a total load of shite. zero respect from managers, silly managers who cant manage naff all, understaffed offices, constantly feeling drained, 20 hour contract when i actually work 30+, 4+ d2d every week for a tenner, out marching for 4 1/2 + hours, nothing ever prepped for me in the mornings, only had 4 saturdays off in 16 months, never find out what my day off is untill thursday onwards( even then it sometimes changes), useless pathetic union/reps, treated like shite in general, blah blah blah.........i could list lots more reasons why i totally hate this job but i wont waffal on. i seriously cant wait untill the tide turns and more jobs become available in the market, i'll be out like a flash, after a couple of weeks on the sick first though (call it payback)......so no i dont enjoy my work, i wish a bomb would drop on the place.(with no one in it of course) :-)

15 May 2011, 16:16

When everything goes like clockwork its not a bad old job, but they manage to f**k it up without much effort on a regular basis.

16 May 2011, 22:13

Used to absolutly love the job,even within the last year.
Now i kinda just about like it.
Hate the way RM treat us.
Hate some of the bullshit from some of my colleagues,one day they will realise they have to work their hrs as in the real world ffs.

We had to change,aint got a problem with that,aint got a problem working my hrs either,but RM have gone too far and have seriously got it wrong.

17 May 2011, 08:53

POSTMAN wrote:Used to absolutly love the job,even within the last year.
Now i kinda just about like it.
Hate the way RM treat us.
Hate some of the bullshit from some of my colleagues,one day they will realise they have to work their hrs as in the real world ffs.

We had to change,aint got a problem with that,aint got a problem working my hrs either,but RM have gone too far and have seriously got it wrong.

I think you have got it spot on !!!! The rounds are just way too big now and it's stupid to think we can even do them ?? Sad how every year since I started they have done naff all to move the business forward - just wasted cash on name change etc and messed the business up every year !! It just sadly gets worse !

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4