ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Music listening @ work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
carlperc
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Jan 2020, 17:21
Gender: Male

Music listening @ work

Post by carlperc »

Hi all!

My name's Kai and I'm a researcher at the University of Leeds, UK. I am currently researching a project on 'music at work', which focuses on people's experiences of listening to music while working - their stories, good & the bad!

In the course of this research I am looking to speak to a number of postal workers to hear their thoughts on how big a part of your work life music can be. This can be in whatever form is easiest for you - Zoom, Skype, email, whatever.

If you'd be interested in taking part you can message me here for more details, email me at smccwi@leeds.ac.uk, or comment below and I'll be in touch!

Thanks,

Kai
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by POSTMAN »

DON'T TOUCH THE RADIO!!!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by blacov »

carlperc wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2021, 16:53
Hi all!

My name's Kai and I'm a researcher at the University of Leeds, UK. I am currently researching a project on 'music at work', which focuses on people's experiences of listening to music while working - their stories, good & the bad!

In the course of this research I am looking to speak to a number of postal workers to hear their thoughts on how big a part of your work life music can be. This can be in whatever form is easiest for you - Zoom, Skype, email, whatever.

If you'd be interested in taking part you can message me here for more details, email me at smccwi@leeds.ac.uk, or comment below and I'll be in touch!

Thanks,

Kai

For most people music at work is very important. I worked previously in a drab place with no radio and when I had no headphones I wanted to kill myself. I always have radio on in a van. Although when out on a loop I don't wear headphones. I just don't understand people who would prefer working in silence. Some will never turn radio on in a van.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by twoloops »

I listen to downloaded podcasts while out on my walk, I have realised without it the day would feel much longer.
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by JKSmudge »

Generally hate the radio on at work - it's the same old 'popular' stuff regurgitated ad nauseum. The god awful station that's on in our place has the same oldies doing the rounds on their playlist for ages, currently having to put up with bloody U2 and The Jam everyday and they seem to never tire of playing 'Paradise City' or 'We built this city on Rock and Roll' . :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by Celgar »

Used to have a CD player in my old RM van which meant I could play music I actually like. The new van I have now has DAB radio instead so I make do with that.
In the DO we have dance music & 'grime' etc playing as playlists via Bluetooth speaker off posties phones. Most of us hate this kind of 'music' but we try to carry on working & ignore it.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by fb1969 »

Radio 2 in my ear while on delivery.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
DaintyDiva
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:44
Gender: Female

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by DaintyDiva »

Love having the radio on at work, lots of us sing along to tunes we know & love, we have greatest hits radio station on & they play a good selection from the 70's 80's & 90's so something for everyone, would be really drab & boring without it. :nana
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by POSTMAN »

Boring post alert:

Listening to music/podcasts ect while on delivery ( walking and delivering) is against Royal Mail H&h policy.
Any postie having an accident while using headphones/ear pieces will be liable for said accident.

You have to be aware of your surroundings while out on delivery.

Cue posts about deaf posties.
You must:
  • • support a safe culture and show this through
    responsible behaviour;


    • always take account of your own safety and that of others;

    • always follow the appropriate safety rules, standards and
    procedures, asking for an explanation if you’re not sure;


    • use and maintain all controls, procedures and protection
    provided for your safety and the safety of others;


Which would go in hand with...
SSOW Deliveries and Collections - August 2000 wrote:
DO NOT wear personal stereo headphones while on delivery.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by mjd24 »

twoloops wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2021, 19:49
I listen to downloaded podcasts while out on my walk, I have realised without it the day would feel much longer.
I would love to do this and have tried it a couple of times but always feel like im being a bit rude to anyone who might want to talk to me, even if its to say hello or good morning.

Also it stresses me out crossing roads with headphones in.

Also just find it a bit annoying when they might dall out of my ears or the wires get tangled with my pouch straps or whatever. Have used wireless ones but even with them the overall annoyance outweighed the enjoyment of listening to something.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by mjd24 »

fb1969 wrote: ↑
16 Mar 2021, 07:09
Radio 2 in my ear while on delivery.

Through your phone or little radio player thing?
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by fb1969 »

Using the FM radio on my phone. Occasionally listening online as well, but that's usually the cricket and it's been too depressing lately!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

JKSmudge wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2021, 21:01
Generally hate the radio on at work - it's the same old 'popular' stuff regurgitated ad nauseum. The god awful station that's on in our place has the same oldies doing the rounds on their playlist for ages, currently having to put up with bloody U2 and The Jam everyday and they seem to never tire of playing 'Paradise City' or 'We built this city on Rock and Roll' . :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
It's worse when one of the managers' cuts in to make an announcement on the PA system.
ConeHater
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Sep 2020, 12:37
Gender: Male

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by ConeHater »

Hi, used to work inside small unit. The day the chap who owned the radio moved on felt like it would never end, so much so that I went and bought a loud radio from Argos the next day. The next day I took it back and bought an even louder one that was used on the shift until the unit closed. I now drive and tend to listen to Radio 4 Extra - comedy and drama shows, Radio 2 for traffic reports, and Absolute 80’s.
Comedy and Drama, as you’d expect with Royal Mail.
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Re: Music listening @ work

Post by Mr Blonde »

Celgar wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2021, 23:23
In the DO we have dance music & 'grime' etc playing as playlists via Bluetooth speaker off posties phones. Most of us hate this kind of 'music' but we try to carry on working & ignore it.
I wouldn't put up with that. Hate having to listen to more than one lot of music.