ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Ive been offered a full time contract, an increase of 5hrs on my original contract but comes with the fact I would lose my duty and go onto being a reserve. Im not sure what to do, in all fairness I usually work a minimum of 35hrs anyway being brought in earlier but on the flip side I think more would go into my pension and the holiday pay would be around £40 more. Is it worth the hassle?
Two people have already rejected the full time contracts because they dont want to be a reserve but I guess I was also looking at the bigger picture if we have a revision I would then be able to pick a duty. Having said that there is talk of a revision in October but nothing in RM is ever guaranteed.
What would you do in my situation? Stay on the 30hr or grab the full time contract?
Two people have already rejected the full time contracts because they dont want to be a reserve but I guess I was also looking at the bigger picture if we have a revision I would then be able to pick a duty. Having said that there is talk of a revision in October but nothing in RM is ever guaranteed.
What would you do in my situation? Stay on the 30hr or grab the full time contract?
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Grab the contract, being a reserve is nothing to be frightened of, you might even get some easier duties on occassion.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
It's all up to you! Do you want to be full time all the time or do you want the option to be part time when you like! You'll get 35 hours on your annual leave which is good. Also, if you need to borrow money for a mortgage etc (sorry don't know your age) full time employment shows more earnings as overtime doesn't count towards it
I wouldn't worry about going spare to me that's not an issue if you want the contract
I wouldn't worry about going spare to me that's not an issue if you want the contract
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
My advice: take the hours & run. Nothing is guaranteed at RM,with the upcoming revisions I dare say all excess hours will be looked at & they’ll try to incorporate them all into our duty time! Whether they will be successful or not,who knows?!postiewhite wrote: ↑16 Feb 2021, 14:27Ive been offered a full time contract, an increase of 5hrs on my original contract but comes with the fact I would lose my duty and go onto being a reserve. Im not sure what to do, in all fairness I usually work a minimum of 35hrs anyway being brought in earlier but on the flip side I think more would go into my pension and the holiday pay would be around £40 more. Is it worth the hassle?
Two people have already rejected the full time contracts because they dont want to be a reserve but I guess I was also looking at the bigger picture if we have a revision I would then be able to pick a duty. Having said that there is talk of a revision in October but nothing in RM is ever guaranteed.
What would you do in my situation? Stay on the 30hr or grab the full time contract?
As for being a reserve,I’m FT with almost 20yrs service & (in normal times/pre Covid) still spare by choice,simply because no duty had come up that I fancy doing on a daily basis. As soon as one does I’ll jump on it ,but it’s no biggie. The only plus will be knowing when my day off is,weeks in advance & being able to plan stuff....
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
The revision may also reduce overtime opportunities in your office.
Unless it's a shambles of course.
Unless it's a shambles of course.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
It depends how old you are and what your financial position is,
But unless you are in your 60s and stinking rich then I would advise anyone to take an increase in contracted hours.
But unless you are in your 60s and stinking rich then I would advise anyone to take an increase in contracted hours.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Overtime never guarantee grab 35 hours some point you are going to get your own duties anyway I know reserve is not that easy sometime they moved you 6 different walk in 1 week I did it
-
Manboat
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Looks like I’m in the minority but I’d stay as I was if you like your duty and can get extra hours on it anyway, only my opinion and what I would do as personally I don’t like being a reserve and not knowing your day off and waiting to see if your on one of the piss poor rounds the following week. In our revision If that choice comes my way I’ll be taking a duty over the full time hours, good luck either way.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
I'd take the increased contract, for the reasons previously mentioned.
Two points I'd bear in mind:
1)Make sure your DOM's aware you'll still expect Saturdays Off (in your normal Duty Patttern) . Sometimes they "Forget" to give you a Saturday off when they're moving Reserves around.
2)At Least you'll get those Extra 5 Hours when your on Holiday, or Sick)
BTW If you're regularly doing Over Time RM will actually pay more into your Pension, for those extra hours, so don't worry about that problem if you stay on 30 hours. Check out a couple of your old payslips.
Two points I'd bear in mind:
1)Make sure your DOM's aware you'll still expect Saturdays Off (in your normal Duty Patttern) . Sometimes they "Forget" to give you a Saturday off when they're moving Reserves around.
2)At Least you'll get those Extra 5 Hours when your on Holiday, or Sick)
BTW If you're regularly doing Over Time RM will actually pay more into your Pension, for those extra hours, so don't worry about that problem if you stay on 30 hours. Check out a couple of your old payslips.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
JKSmudge
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
I have been in same position and rejected FT twice due to me preferring to be doing the same walk every day - when I was a reserve I was messed around constantly, day off being changed, being sent to other offices at short notice, doing 5 different walks a week. The only times I have considered jacking it in was as a reserve.
As previously stated any OT done up to FT hours contributes to pension payments.
Have you enquired how many are in front of you in seniority for a walk ? may be something to consider.....
As previously stated any OT done up to FT hours contributes to pension payments.
Have you enquired how many are in front of you in seniority for a walk ? may be something to consider.....
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
If you break your ankle and have to go sick for 6 months would you rather be paid 35 hours/week or 30?
If you have to take IHR would you rather it was based on 35 hours or 30?
It's a safety net.
If you have to take IHR would you rather it was based on 35 hours or 30?
It's a safety net.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Take the hours, you will have the opportunity to sign for a permanent walk in the the future.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
With respect I don't think asking us is the right thing to do.
Each office is very different and in each office reserves are treated differently.
How are yours treated that is the 1st thing you should be looking at, is everything done fairly are the reserves happy-ish.
Extra 5 hrs a week is all good but if you dread going to work each day because the reserves are s**t on then is it worth it?
Only you know the answer, not us. And why have 2 others rejected it?
Each office is very different and in each office reserves are treated differently.
How are yours treated that is the 1st thing you should be looking at, is everything done fairly are the reserves happy-ish.
Extra 5 hrs a week is all good but if you dread going to work each day because the reserves are s**t on then is it worth it?
Only you know the answer, not us. And why have 2 others rejected it?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
Probably asked because they a chopping duties for the revision. I would take the Full time contract but state you must keep rotating days off.
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Full time (35hrs) from 30hrs.
A minor point but a revision does not always lead to a re-pick, especially if your office is only having a table top revision, so there’s a chance even after the revision you will still be a reserve.