ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

knee problems

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

knee problems

Post by dohnut »

I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by robbertwhitton »

Never sure how it works but most seem it’s down to the boss,how he wants to play it,good to have that to worry about as well as your health,I am off at the moment awaiting hip replacement surgery,and then fix my injured knee,short staffed so the pressures on to get you back regardless,fine if your fit and healthy,not so for us elderly workers,get the union on board and I wish you luck my friend
red666bear
Posts: 104
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 22:54
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by red666bear »

Can't you go in and prep walks?
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: knee problems

Post by mjd24 »

As the years go by this is going to be such a huge problem for Royal Mail. The length of deliveries now is crazy and only likely to get worse. I think Royal Mail are being quite short sighted about things and clearly not thinking about the long term effects on us of walking 10+ miles per day, 5 days a week, 48 or so weeks of the year. Its crazy, and the Union really should be at least talking about this issue a lot more.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by blacov »

dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
You need to look at all of your absences in the last 12months. Let's see what have you already had. 5days in Dec 2020 and another 5days last may 2020. I assued me these were exact number of days you were off.

You need to know that if your ring in sick on Tuesday and comeback to work Monday the following week, they will count your day off as well as Sunday towards your sick leave.

Looking back at your absences. Provided you have not missed anymore days apart from these 2 occasions mentioned. 4days of sick (3rd occasion) will trigger stage1 and it doesn't matter if this is 4 or 40days, still stage1. Provided you come back after a week (4days or more = stage1 anyway) and then go off again for another week you will be still okay (stage1) however another occasion more, even 1day and you get stage 2 immediately. I believe while already on stage1 you are allowed 1 occasion up to 9days if I am not mistaken. 2 occasions, 1 day each and you will get stage 2.
Last edited by blacov on 04 Feb 2021, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by Marshamp11 »

It is like an episode of Casualty most mornings in my office. The worrying thing is that it used to be OPGs in their late 50s onwards with knee problems etc but now people in their early 40s are suffering the same. Cant see them lasting another 20+ years in the job at this rate. Still the chemist around the corner aint complaining with all the painkillers etc the staff buy from him.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by rambo1 »

dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: knee problems

Post by mjd24 »

190 flights of stairs climbed up and down since Tuesday.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by dohnut »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 17:20
dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
If your a manger then it's a yes to both questions.
derekm
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by derekm »

Have to wear support straps on both knees now can’t see me lasting much longer in this job after 25 years my body is just about done.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by dohnut »

I have one of those sock things that go over knee and top of ankle, not sure how much they help, am waiting for physio, over phone next week, thing is I'm not massively overweight, and only been in the job 13 years, doc recons it's just a inflamed tendon but don't know how they can diagnose, when just talking to the over phone.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by rambo1 »

dohnut wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 18:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 17:20
dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
If your a manger then it's a yes to both questions.
I'm not a manager, they don't give a xxxx if you rush and carry a 16kg bag on your shoulder!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by aiden01 »

dohnut wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 18:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 17:20
dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
If your a manger then it's a yes to both questions.
Same old s**t blame somebody on being a manager because they go against your view.😬
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by dohnut »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 21:36
dohnut wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 18:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 17:20
dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
If your a manger then it's a yes to both questions.
Same old s**t blame somebody on being a manager because they go against your view.😬
Most of the people at my office don't use trolleys, not saying there right, and I haven't used a bag weighing 16 kilos possibly ever, I deliver packets in morning then go back and do delivery from van, if it is heavy I split it, don't know what your problem is but from your profile you work at the mc, at our place it is each man for himself, I do the.job and go home, the guy above assumed I would as rushing round cutting corners, everyone at my place does this as they just want to finnish and get home.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: knee problems

Post by aiden01 »

dohnut wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 23:00
aiden01 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 21:36
dohnut wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 18:11
rambo1 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021, 17:20
dohnut wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021, 12:57
I have been of work just over a week, with knee problem. Cant get to see doc at moment everything is via phone, have been keeping mobile walking but it isnt at the point were i think i can go back, is it better me staying of than going back and then possibly going of again and triggering a stage 2. If I was off say a month this would still be stage 1 right?, it would still count as 1 absence, i have had 2 other occasions with my back were I was off 5 days in december and 5 days last may. You cant go straight to stage 2 can you?.
Do you always use a trolley and never rush....just asking.
If your a manger then it's a yes to both questions.
Same old s**t blame somebody on being a manager because they go against your view.😬
Most of the people at my office don't use trolleys, not saying there right, and I haven't used a bag weighing 16 kilos possibly ever, I deliver packets in morning then go back and do delivery from van, if it is heavy I split it, don't know what your problem is but from your profile you work at the mc, at our place it is each man for himself, I do the.job and go home, the guy above assumed I would as rushing round cutting corners, everyone at my place does this as they just want to finnish and get home.
You sort of accused somebody of being a manager like i said. Allegedley not allowed on here.