ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by poolcued »

I’m currently self-isolating following a positive COVID test. My isolation period includes one week of pre-booked annual leave. Am I able to claim this back as I would have been unable to work?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by number one »

Yes
malawihap
Posts: 85
Joined: 29 Jan 2008, 11:40

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by malawihap »

Happened to me last year i had to isolate while on holiday, manager said he would look into getting my week back, but surprise surprise i have heard nothing since and that was 9 moths ago. I guess i will have to give him another nudge regarding this, not holding out for too much know.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by poolcued »

You would think Royal Mail would have a policy in place. I’m obviously not the only one affected.
jfv999
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 14:04
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by jfv999 »

Similar thing happened to me this morning. Currently on annual and this morning was told to self isolate for 5 days. Manager said I can't claim leave back.
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by wallop »

Yes you can.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by poolcued »

I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by frankieboy »

Prior to covid I have had leave where during this leave I have fallen ill or had an injury but could not claim it back so why should it be different for covid, just the luck of the draw.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by poolcued »

Well, because your basic employment rights suggest you can

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ ... youre-ill/

and also because this is sure to affect many of us in the future. I just want a definitive answer.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by cpsteve »

1,041 today and people are worried about claiming back leave. :arrrghhh
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by frankieboy »

cpsteve wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2021, 17:56
1,041 today and people are worried about claiming back leave. :arrrghhh
:Applause :Applause :Applause
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by aiden01 »

poolcued wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2021, 16:57
I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
What they mean is you can't claim it back if its covid related.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by number one »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2021, 18:30
poolcued wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2021, 16:57
I’ve contacted my local CWU branch and they suggest you can’t claim it back if it’s COVID only if it’s genuine sickness or illness. Do I have to somehow prove how genuine my symptoms are even though I’ve provided proof of my positive test? So now I’m even more confused.
What they mean is you can't claim it back if its covid related.

If you were on leave and have to self isolate due to someone else such as a family member is positive then you can’t claim it back however if you yourself have a positive test this means you are ill. You can’t be on the sick and on leave at the same time so you CAN claim this leave back
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by frankieboy »

The only way they will let you claim back your leave is if you get an official doctors sick note. If you test positive for covid get a sick note, they can't refuse you then.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Re: Self-isolating whilst on annual leave

Post by grchpo »

Tested positive while on leave, rang up to let them know. Didn't need a doctor's note or any proof & got my leave back.