ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waterproof jacket

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by smartecosse »

So, I have a "waterproof" jacket that was sort of okay in moderate rain but anything heavy or prolonged and I either get wet or have to wear a proper waterproof one underneath the Royal Mail issued one.

Its now about a year old and really just shower proof so needs replacing.

I see that it says unavailable on the dimensions website. Does anyone know if there is a proper replacement one due, one that its actually designed for continuous outdoor door use in prolonged wet weather?

Thanks
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by robbertwhitton »

I think that will be a no then!,,good waterproof coats cost money and Royal Mail won’t spend money on us,despite them saying it’s been vigorously tested,like most equipment we have,simply not fit for purpose
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by postieblueshirt »

Buy and wear your own it's the only way.i wear comfy trainers now even when raining my feet always get soaked but better than having feet like lead.wear what's comfortable dont care what they say anymore...
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by xPandabear1992x »

the dimensions ones are shite haha.

normally when it rains now I wear the waterproof and the storm jacket on top. still get soaked. was out in 7 hours constant rain earlier. by the time I got back in i was more water than postie.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Waterproof jacket

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Short answer ,Get yer own Goretex and wear it under the storm coat in heavy down pours.
Oh ,and get yourself some decent leggings at the same time.


Red cagoules are waste of time in rain but ok to keep windchill off on breezy days
Yellow Stormcoats waterproofing ok first but degrades with wear and tear.

Sorry,I can’t be more helpful.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by postieblueshirt »

Also were talking about 5 to 6 hours in heavy rain no affordable coat will keep the rain out that long not helped by bending stretching bag straps etc...
chocolatesaltyballs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 106
Joined: 11 May 2014, 18:31
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by chocolatesaltyballs »

You can pick up a decent Gore Tex jacket on eBay for about £80 which is a good investment in my opinion. It's your health after all and Royal Mail are never going to supply great waterproofs. I'd stay away from second hand ones though as they'd probably need reproofing.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by wacko74 »

I have a couple of water proof ponchos (£1.50 each from Home Bargains) I just sling one of them on over my so called ''storm proof'' when there's any really heavy downpours.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by Dorset Plodder »

smartecosse wrote:So, I have a "waterproof" jacket ......Its now about a year old and really just shower proof so needs replacing.
Try washing it ,following the instructions, then get some Fabsil Waterproofing spray from an outdoor shop. Follow those instructions and it should re-proof your old jacket fairly well. :thumbup

Collect a couple of jackets (most of us end up with a few) and change your jacket after a few hours delivery. You can always wear one with an Extra Large Jacket over that. :hmmmm Really need to have some Colder weather when you start piling on the waterproofs though or you'll sweat your bits off! :coolr

I agree with the idea of getting some of your own waterproof leggings. :thumbup Don't necessarily have to be sexy gortex (Expensive). I've some Golfing Trousers (Charity Shop) which do a good enough job. I find the issued Bandera trainers are waterproof enough. :thumbup I sometimes wonder what people are expecting with Uniforms. :hmmmm "Remember Your Equipment is supplied by the Lowest Bidder" was always a saying in the Armed Forces. :shock:

I sometimes think Posties must be taking part in Ultra Marathons when they start talking about Trainers being too Heavy, Hi-Vis Tabbards being Inconvenient and Storm Jackets being too Big & Bulky. At least at the end of the day you can go home, have a hot shower and put some dry kit on! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
scotboyblue
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by scotboyblue »

I was lucky I managed to pick up a decent Rab downpour goretex jacket in the sale ended up including voucher code I paid less than £50 for it. The waterproofs we are given aren’t suitable for the amount of hours we are out . They are so uncomfortable and definitely not waterproof. I also purchase my own shoes now as I would rather be comfortable at my work than coming home with sore feet. Some of my colleagues think It’s daft to spend money on uniform when we get supplied it for free. To me though I would rather be pain free and dry when doing my job.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by Dorset Plodder »

wacko74 wrote:I have a couple of water proof ponchos (£1.50 each from Home Bargains) I just sling one of them on over my so called ''storm proof'' when there's any really heavy downpours.
Good idea Wacko. :thumbup I always wondered why we never got issued with them when we still used the bikes? :hmmmm Years ago my Nan gave me a Big Yellow Poncho designed for bikes..... used to use it on my paper round .... Brilliant! Come to think of it that paper round must have given me my love of putting pieces of paper through people's letterboxes! :crazy:

Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail. :cuppa
As with junk mail leaflets that are delivered by other companies, the reason why they're sticking halfway out of the letter slots is so that a supervisor or manager from that leaflet/newspaper company drives around to check that the leaflets are actually delivered.

It would suck for the people delivering those door-to-doors or newspapers if a Royal Mail postie follows behind and shoves them all the way through the letter slots. Like I do. :wink:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by Dorset Plodder »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:Nowadays I'm still pushing Newspapers through people's letterboxes .... because whoever delivers them always seems to leave them sticking out in the rain, and you can't post the mail. :cuppa
As with junk mail leaflets that are delivered by other companies, the reason why they're sticking halfway out of the letter slots is so that a supervisor or manager from that leaflet/newspaper company drives around to check that the leaflets are actually delivered.

It would suck for the people delivering those door-to-doors or newspapers if a Royal Mail postie follows behind and shoves them all the way through the letter slots. Like I do.
:wink:
Ha Ha :Applause Never thought of it that way Postman. Didn't realise that was why they did it. They must have been really pissed off with me then. Once... only once..... I got so fed up with all the local free papers being left sticking out I pulled them all out as I was following the guy down the street, and lobbed them, so that I could deliver my mail (In my defence I was having a bad day). But it seemed to do the trick and the bloke started posting them properly from then on. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof jacket

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Very Amusing video Postman :left: Customers often give me the same "No one writes letters anymore .... I just get junk mail..... I'd rather send an e-mail" argument.

The only thing I can say in our Defence is, "Do really think Royal Mail is going to keep 100,000 staff in employment just so you can get your Christmas & Birthday Cards"? :hmmmm

It may not be so obvious to Joe Public but it does surprise me that Posties seem to be unaware of how "Junk Mail" helps to pay our wages. I just prep & deliver it in RMs time and don't worry about it. Wish we still got paid for each individual contract though, that was a nice little earner. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)