ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can't get desired annual leave
-
Blinkboy44
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
- Gender: Male
Can't get desired annual leave
What happens if I can’t get the Annual leave ive requested , my partner booked a holiday for us next year , but I don’t have the time off secured, if I can’t get it off surely they can’t stop me from going. What’s the point in working to afford to do things but then can’t do them , is unpaid leave an option , or will I need to take time off stress related courtesy of Royal Mail , seems a joke , I have never worked anywhere Like this before where you have to fight and struggle to do simple normal things
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Seniority, Whos been there longest gets first pick and if you dont get what youve asked for as far as RM are concerned tough, also dont go sick on the weeks youve asked for as they will check on your holiday sheet to see if your pulling a fast one, Dont book and pay for any holidays until RM have confirmed your annual leave dates.
-
Blinkboy44
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Try to swap with someone or do what most people do go sick.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Can’t get desired annual leave
Seniority cant be used as the sole decider for leave - everyone has to have an equal opportunity to select their leave.2yearpostie wrote:Seniority, Whos been there longest gets first pick and if you dont get what youve asked for as far as RM are concerned tough, also dont go sick on the weeks youve asked for as they will check on your holiday sheet to see if your pulling a fast one, Dont book and pay for any holidays until RM have confirmed your annual leave dates.
But everything else is spot on.
Whilst leave is both a contractual and statutory right employers can decide when you take it, as long as they give you the opportunity to take it at some point in the year.Blinkboy44 wrote:What happens if I can’t get the Annual leave ive requested , my partner booked a holiday for us next year , but I don’t have the time off secured, if I can’t get it off surely they can’t stop me from going. What’s the point in working to afford to do things but then can’t do them , is unpaid leave an option , or will I need to take time off stress related courtesy of Royal Mail , seems a joke , I have never worked anywhere Like this before where you have to fight and struggle to do simple normal things
You can apply for special leave, however there is no legal right to it so they can say no.
If you just go on holiday without permission, they can dismiss you for misconduct https://www.acas.org.uk/capability-procedures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
if you go sick and go abroad without permission you will lose your job. be careful.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
If everybody just took the time off they wanted the place would shut down
Thats why you dont book a holiday until you have chosen your leave first
You cant just expect to get whenever you fancy off if there is a system in place on who picks first etc ( which should be rotational and not seniority )
Its shite but its the only way to do things otherwise you could have 20 people all wanting the same weeks in July off and nobody wanting March/April
Thats why you dont book a holiday until you have chosen your leave first
You cant just expect to get whenever you fancy off if there is a system in place on who picks first etc ( which should be rotational and not seniority )
Its shite but its the only way to do things otherwise you could have 20 people all wanting the same weeks in July off and nobody wanting March/April
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Blinkboy44
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Yes I appreciate everyone needs a fair choice but realistically it’s unlikely most people will want the exact same time off, it’s just crazy you can’t plan in advance, and I get seniority but it should also be taken into concideration the circumstances of why it is needed off compared to joe bloggs just choosing it for the sake of it, a family member has planned this trip for my partners birthday, so I have to just tell them no you can’t book a holiday in advance because I work for Royal Mail, it’s ridiculous . I understand this is the reality and realistically I’m not gonna risk my job over it but it just seems unfair and stupid, was hoping unpaid would be an option but not holding my breath.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Once you start making an exception though thats when problems start and everyone can then say 'Yeah but you gave Joe Bloggs the time off HE wanted'Blinkboy44 wrote:Yes I appreciate everyone needs a fair choice but realistically it’s unlikely most people will want the exact same time off, it’s just crazy you can’t plan in advance, and I get seniority but it should also be taken into concideration the circumstances of why it is needed off compared to joe bloggs just choosing it for the sake of it, a family member has planned this trip for my partners birthday, so I have to just tell them no you can’t book a holiday in advance because I work for Royal Mail, it’s ridiculous . I understand this is the reality and realistically I’m not gonna risk my job over it but it just seems unfair and stupid, was hoping unpaid would be an option but not holding my breath.
If you dont get special unpaid leave and cant swap with anyone you could try offering £££ to people to cover you
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Blinkboy44
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Yes sadly that will probably be the planAcca Dacca wrote:Blinkboy44 wrote:If you dont get special unpaid leave and cant swap with anyone you could try offering £££ to people to cover you
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Can’t get desired annual leave
I think in the annual leave guidelines it specifically mentions taking into account special requests due to weddings etc.
We all (most) have lives outside of RM and work cannot be expected to come first all the time.
Make a request for the weeks you want and if the DOM just says no, use the grievance procedure.
We all (most) have lives outside of RM and work cannot be expected to come first all the time.
Make a request for the weeks you want and if the DOM just says no, use the grievance procedure.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Can’t get desired annual leave
That isn't true.Acca Dacca wrote:If everybody just took the time off they wanted the place would shut down
Some people want the school holidays, others want to avoid them.
Everybody understands the need to limit the number on annual leave each week.
From experience I would say that if you let people choose which weeks they want off they will get roughly what they want.
And anyone who gets a bad experience one year gets preferential treatment the next.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Can’t get desired annual leave
Are you for real? Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it? Doesn't sound like you've been in the world of work for long to me. As for staying you'll just go off sick for a yr.....grow up mate.Blinkboy44 wrote:Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Can’t get desired annual leave
Someone who needs to plan a special event but can't really wait for some useless RM manager to get off their arse and confirm the annual leave.rambo1 wrote: Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Can’t get desired annual leave
That seniority malarkey does not stand up in the 2020 workplace, override them phone HR Services 0345 6060603 tell them the holidays you want/need & what's happening in your office.
Thank me later
Thank me later