ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dog bite

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rael, the IAK
Posts: 109
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 13:08
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Rael, the IAK »

I need some advice please. I had a little nip on the back of my leg from a small dog today. It bled a bit initially, but nothing serious. The owner was very apologetic as expected.
So, should I report it to my lino tomorrow? And if I do, what's he likely to do about it please?
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Rael, the IAK wrote:should I report it to my lino tomorrow?
Yes, you should.
And if I do, what's he likely to do about it please?
Probably laugh and walk away.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Dog bite

Post by twoloops »

Get the police involved, I would be insisting the mut is destroyed, It could be a small child’s face the next time, would you be able to live with that?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yep ,a bite is a bite,do everything by the book,just be interested to see how much your boss can be bothered to back you,and follow policy and procedure,not sure I’d want the dog put down but the owner needs to be aware how serious it is,I’d hate for her to be apologetic and at the same time be laughing about it,manager,police and dog warden and union should be involved,does it have previous? most people don’t bother reporting it,then someone gets bitten,oh yes it bit me the other day?..good luck,and no it’s not just part of the job any more ans not funny!,
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Yes you need to report it. It’s been a couple of years since I was last bitten but from memory a manager wrote to the owner and told me I didn’t have to deliver there if I wasn’t comfortable. They were asked to call the manager then he visited them to find a solution. They put a box on the gate in the end.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Dog bite

Post by k979aaa »

Hope you have had a recent tetanus jab if not you will may never live long enough to regret it!
Alantidey
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 06:49
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Alantidey »

I got bitten last month.

Manager was very good and rang the police with me. Police spoke to owner and followed it up with me. Lots of paperwork for reporting but it must be done.

Dog was a rescue from local regiment centre and the owners decided there and then they weren’t going to be putting up with any aggressive behaviour. They took it back there.

Manager wanted photos of bite for reporting through our own procedures and suspended any delivery until the coast was clear for redelivery.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by cpsteve »

The owners of small dogs seem to think its ok to let them run out when they open the door they would soon kick off if you gave the dog a a little nip that made it bleed the rspca would prosecute you so do it by the book.
hatter68
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by hatter68 »

I got bitten couple of weeks ago had to go to hospital reported to police, still ongoing investigation and suspension of delivery. Been given claim form from union rep.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Rael, the IAK wrote:I need some advice please. I had a little nip on the back of my leg from a small dog today. It bled a bit initially, but nothing serious. The owner was very apologetic as expected.
So, should I report it to my lino tomorrow? And if I do, what's he likely to do about it please?
Yes, of course you should. It's not about who says sorry etc after the fact, if you don't report it and a message isn't sent out it'll continue to happen.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by xPandabear1992x »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Rael, the IAK wrote:should I report it to my lino tomorrow?
Yes, you should.
And if I do, what's he likely to do about it please?
Probably laugh and walk away.
That's why you tell the union too.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by deristrong »

k979aaa wrote:Hope you have had a recent tetanus jab if not you will may never live long enough to regret it!
Had a small bite recently and went to A&E. They said they rarely give tetanus for dog bites. Cat bites maybe and human bites definitely.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by robbertwhitton »

Then next time in dog awareness week the powers that be will be “barking” on about (no pun intended)reporting dog bites etc,and no doubt be inundated by examples by staff who simply don’t bother because of the hassle and bosses being uninterested to follow procedures as it’s too involved.?? Trust me it happens.
hatter68
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by hatter68 »

deristrong wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Hope you have had a recent tetanus jab if not you will may never live long enough to regret it!
Had a small bite recently and went to A&E. They said they rarely give tetanus for dog bites. Cat bites maybe and human bites definitely.
When i went to A/E they would have given me a tetanus but i was already up to date as got bitten couple of years ago. They did put me on antibiotics and put some steri strips on my arm. They said we don't stitch dog wounds with needles as bacteria needs to get out.