ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The travelling postman

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by 2yearpostie »

Never seen this type of contract

Part time Delivery Postperson with Driving

Job reference: 125655

Location: New Rossington Delivery Office & Rural Areas DN11 0PE

Contract: Fixed Term temporary until 27/06/21

Hours: 30:00 hours, between 07:30 and 16:30 , 5 days per week (Monday – Saturday) Must be flexible to cover 8 different offices. New Rossington, Conisborough, Denby, Hatfield, Stainforth, Finningley, Misterton, Owston Ferry
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by Murdoch »

I don't find that particularly strange. Kinda makes sense to have reserves cover an area.

What I do find strange, is that all the new vacancies are fixed term contracts. Anybody got any input on why that is the case?
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by Munchboii »

Murdoch wrote:I don't find that particularly strange. Kinda makes sense to have reserves cover an area.

What I do find strange, is that all the new vacancies are fixed term contracts. Anybody got any input on why that is the case?
That is probably Royal Mails date to aim to go to a 5 day post operation. So when the 6 day week ends all the temp staff lose their jobs through no extensions, and royal mail and the CWU are happy because
1. Royal Mail claim nobody was made compulsory redundant.
2. Vast majority of temporary staff do not join the Union so the CWU don't care about them.

This has been tried and tested in the overseas territories I.e Jersey ect. Royal Mail probably have them as a case study as they are all at least 5 days now.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by wallan »

Possible SPDO,s they are planning to Concentrate before the End Of The Contract ?
bucks123
Posts: 64
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 05:35
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by bucks123 »

Munchboii wrote:
Murdoch wrote: What I do find strange, is that all the new vacancies are fixed term contracts. Anybody got any input on why that is the case?
That is probably Royal Mails date to aim to go to a 5 day post operation.....
I would agree with this. I have just had a look at royal mail jobs website and checked a random selection of OPG vacancies across the country and they all have the 27th June 2021 fixed term contract end date which would suggest a planned reduction in staffing, achieved by not extending everyone on these new contracts. When I joined 3 years ago I was initially on a 12 month fixed term contract (made permy after 3 months) but there was no specific end date mentioned in the job advert at the time.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by 2yearpostie »

27th june 2021 is a Sunday.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

The travelling postman

Post by Route1 »

I think a batch of staff started between 2015-2017 & even though they were assigned to our office they were classed as sector reserves. And they were the first to be kicked about different offices.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by Woody Guthrie »

We've had this before pre 2010 I think when we had "area reserves" on fixed term contracts.

What it meant then was that they were predicting major change and needed flexibility.

That's probably what's happening now. On the bright side all of those reserves ended up on permanent contracts with fixed parent offices after the farce that was BT2010.
Only dead fish follow the current
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

The travelling postman

Post by Cucumber »

Imagine though all the different little quirks you'd experience in each different office though :crazy:
I suppose though, it gives the person a look at different places and if they are a good fit in an office and the manager treats them well, it could lead to getting a permanent job there in the future.
Who would decide the persons day off each week? Area manager?
There is no doubt going to be instances that the staff member is expected to be at a certain office but is told to go elsewhere some days, at very short notice too.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by joewyan »

Murdoch wrote:I don't find that particularly strange. Kinda makes sense to have reserves cover an area.

What I do find strange, is that all the new vacancies are fixed term contracts. Anybody got any input on why that is the case?
When I joined in 2011 I was on a fixed term contract and so was everyone else for a few years afterwards at least
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The travelling postman

Post by k979aaa »

How are you to get to each office?
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by TheoF95 »

Im a travelling reserve and cover up to 18 different SPDOs. I have my parent office which is 5 miles from my home address and i can claim mileage from there.
Some of the SPDO's are 40+ miles away so i can have a 90 mile round trip, but usually management try to keep you as close to home but sometimes that's not always possible. I do claim the 45p a mile and can earn between £40-200 a week.
I enjoy it and have done and learnt over 30+ walks.
I started early 2019 so this is nothing new. You get to meet so many different people and every office has its own way of doing things.
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by Deadly »

TheoF95 wrote:Im a travelling reserve and cover up to 18 different SPDOs. I have my parent office which is 5 miles from my home address and i can claim mileage from there.
Some of the SPDO's are 40+ miles away so i can have a 90 mile round trip, but usually management try to keep you as close to home but sometimes that's not always possible. I do claim the 45p a mile and can earn between £40-200 a week.
I enjoy it and have done and learnt over 30+ walks.
I started early 2019 so this is nothing new. You get to meet so many different people and every office has its own way of doing things.
I can see the attraction as I get bored pretty quickly doing the same thing every day. Does it make much difference to your car insurance having multiple work places?
TheoF95
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by TheoF95 »

Deadly wrote:
TheoF95 wrote:Im a travelling reserve and cover up to 18 different SPDOs. I have my parent office which is 5 miles from my home address and i can claim mileage from there.
Some of the SPDO's are 40+ miles away so i can have a 90 mile round trip, but usually management try to keep you as close to home but sometimes that's not always possible. I do claim the 45p a mile and can earn between £40-200 a week.
I enjoy it and have done and learnt over 30+ walks.
I started early 2019 so this is nothing new. You get to meet so many different people and every office has its own way of doing things.
I can see the attraction as I get bored pretty quickly doing the same thing every day. Does it make much difference to your car insurance having multiple work places?
It didn't increase my insurance that much to be honest, less than £100 for the year but i cant remember exactly how much it was. I pay £350 all in annually on a 1.4 petrol..
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

The travelling postman

Post by Deadly »

That's not bad at all :thumbup