ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by postiewhite »

In November I suffered with shin splints which are painful and will stop you doing any duty for a while. I was put on indoor work for 6 weeks until they were better. Since lockdown ive been put on a nice flat walk, average size that will enable you to finish ontime with your break etc. For the last week ive been moved to a new duty which is packet heavy, a good hour longer and loads of dead walking. One stage I have to walk 1.5 miles just to the next loop.
My partner does the driving, im a faster walker. Because we get loads of oversize (more than the average walk) im having to do more loops so he can help clear the van. We are finishing last each day and on average one hour over and now its starting to affect my shin splints again but only slightly at this stage. . We could swap roles and me do more driving but that will send us an hour and half over.

Ive got a doctors note to wear my own trainers (which do help) which ill hand in tomorrow. We have tried to argue to leave stuff with the line manager but he has none of it and im sick of even asking for help,the confrontation gets to me now. if someone went out in the morning with packets we would stand a chance of being on time.
Ive been at RM for 8yrs and this is the first time I feel as though im running myself into the ground. I can take any longer duty on the chin normally but this one is ridiculously long but its the oversized that do it. Im going to hand the doctors advise note in to the DOM but I want to also go to him with my concerns. Ive a feeling if I carry on with this duty the shin splints will return and ill be out of action for weeks which im trying to avoid. Advise on how to approach the dom.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Take your rep.
If you can't complete, you can't complete.
Make sure any advice they give you is noted. If they are refusing to give you any assistance suggest you will bring it back.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by wallan »

postiewhite wrote:In November I suffered with shin splints which are painful and will stop you doing any duty for a while. I was put on indoor work for 6 weeks until they were better. Since lockdown ive been put on a nice flat walk, average size that will enable you to finish ontime with your break etc. For the last week ive been moved to a new duty which is packet heavy, a good hour longer and loads of dead walking. One stage I have to walk 1.5 miles just to the next loop.
My partner does the driving, im a faster walker. Because we get loads of oversize (more than the average walk) im having to do more loops so he can help clear the van. We are finishing last each day and on average one hour over and now its starting to affect my shin splints again but only slightly at this stage. . We could swap roles and me do more driving but that will send us an hour and half over.

Ive got a doctors note to wear my own trainers (which do help) which ill hand in tomorrow. We have tried to argue to leave stuff with the line manager but he has none of it and im sick of even asking for help,the confrontation gets to me now. if someone went out in the morning with packets we would stand a chance of being on time.
Ive been at RM for 8yrs and this is the first time I feel as though im running myself into the ground. I can take any longer duty on the chin normally but this one is ridiculously long but its the oversized that do it. Im going to hand the doctors advise note in to the DOM but I want to also go to him with my concerns. Ive a feeling if I carry on with this duty the shin splints will return and ill be out of action for weeks which im trying to avoid. Advise on how to approach the dom.
Lets hope The Doctors Advice Note recoremends more than just being allowed to wear your own trainers
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Stop walking fast because this is known aggrevate shin splints and make sure you use a trolley .You also need to tell your line manager about your condition and that you will no longer be able to work over until it improves.

If he’s being a knob head and does not take your situation seriously then phone the helpline on the back of your wage slip and report them.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by Janet Brum »

You should tell your manager exactly what you told us, I hope he is decent and will help you.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by Sir Henry »

Look, line managers are known c***s and bonus chasing shithouses. Go direct to boss with rep in tow, you can always mention that it could have been less formal but for the attitude of the school sneaks further down the pecking order.
Having said all that about line managers we have two atm who are alright.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

Post by Dindin »

I found I got shin splints walking down a steep incline