ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Different van everyday
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
I am a floater & I get a different van everyday, I have asked for my own van but get no sense. I know other floaters in office get there own van. Getting a different van also increases chances of getting COVID. I would like to know what happens in other offices.
-
Pumpernickel
- Posts: 155
- Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
In our office, vans are allocated to walks. If you are floating/spare, you use the van for the walk you're doing on the day.
We have some walks that have backlogs (or that are just heavy walks) where volumes make larger vans necessary on occasion, in which case their regular van is deemed "spare" and allocated to another walk to save someone using their car/bus/walking.
Noone has "their own" van.
We have some walks that have backlogs (or that are just heavy walks) where volumes make larger vans necessary on occasion, in which case their regular van is deemed "spare" and allocated to another walk to save someone using their car/bus/walking.
Noone has "their own" van.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
Vans are attached to duties, not any individual and even then outs get swapped around depending on need that particular day. Nobody has their 'own' van.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
Maybe the senior postmen being more experienced drivers don’t need a Trimble in their vans?HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Different van everyday
If I get a dirty unclean rubbish everywhere van, I get my manger to give it a clean or find me another van.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
fantastictwoloops wrote:If I get a dirty unclean rubbish everywhere van, I get my manger to give it a clean or find me another van.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
I’d be surprised if that was the case.scoobydo79 wrote:Maybe the senior postmen being more experienced drivers don’t need a Trimble in their vans?HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
-
Cucumber
- Posts: 1052
- Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
- Gender: Female
Different van everyday
I got a Merc Sprinter van one Christmas. Was a very nice experience to drive.CharlesSpooner wrote:25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Different van everyday
So all your Christmases came at once nice as they are the plastic key is a downer for me.Cucumber wrote:I got a Merc Sprinter van one Christmas. Was a very nice experience to drive.CharlesSpooner wrote:25 years seniority and often have a different van - especially doing afternoons on the alternating CoVid shift we have as my regular duty van (2010 knackered bucket!) is often already out on another duty when I'm in late. I'm quite enjoying trying out a few nice new(ish) vans for a change.HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?
Especially the shiny Mercedes hire van with plenty of space in the back I had the other day! Side loading doors weren't knackered and the central locking worked! Heaven!
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Different van everyday
We had all our fleet fitted with Trimble about three years ago and were told then that all RM vans were to be fitted with it. It's not obvious on the newer vans as they're factory fitted before we get them and nothing is visible.HTPostman wrote:Here vans are assigned to rounds. Some weeks I can drive 6 different vans, we have I think 6 different models of vans here. I’m often surprised there aren’t more bumps in the yard, you have inches of space either side of the van when you’re pulling out and working your way past other parked vans. It could be a van you’ve never driven before so not only are you having to familiarise yourself with the van and how it handles (turning circle, how much tension there is in the steering wheel), but you’re learning while pretty much on a vehicle assault course!
The most senior ones here have the best vans...interestingly the 3 drivers here with the most seniority don’t have a Trimble....bit of a coincidence right?