ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Parking vans in work.
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
When finishing & parking up our vans we been told to put van in gear, if we don’t do it we will be in office with conduct.
Any other office have to do this?
Any other office have to do this?
-
Daveg50
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Total rubbish, carried out a RM parking survey 3 weeks age and parking on hill in gear reverse or 1st depending on facing up or down hill also turning wheels. Parking on level ground hand brake only and that is RM policy. Also I would argue that not everyone dips the clutch when starting a vehicle, van lunges forward hitting van or wall in front. Common Sense some thing that DOMs have.
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Manager is saying it’s rm policy! Manager went round all vans this morning & counted 14 with gear in neutral, we had to sign a form.Daveg50 wrote:Total rubbish, carried out a RM parking survey 3 weeks age and parking on hill in gear reverse or 1st depending on facing up or down hill also turning wheels. Parking on level ground hand brake only and that is RM policy. Also I would argue that not everyone dips the clutch when starting a vehicle, van lunges forward hitting van or wall in front. Common Sense some thing that DOMs have.
Like you said it’s common sense if your parked on hill then I would understand to put it in gear. Is there anywhere. Is there anywhere I can find rm parking policy online?
-
Daveg50
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
This has come up because someone had a roll away on delivery. That have come up with a slogan H.I.T (handbrake, in gear, turn wheel)!!!Daveg50 wrote:Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Must admit I always leave any vehicle I drive in gear when parking I was taught that when learning to drive 46 years ago and must mention my current car will not start unless the clutch is pressed .passed my Royal Mail driving assessment in a Morris minor 
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
From an electronic copy of the RM Driving Manual (no date on it unfortunately):
Page 44:
accidentally not depressing the clutch and lurching forward as Daveg said.
Page 44:
But we've all been briefed in the past about 'HIT' for parking on hills but not on flat car parks for the very reason of someoneEnd of duty
At the completion of duty you must:
• Park in the appropriate place.
• Apply the parking brake, turn off all electrical equipment and cab/
load-space lights.
• Remove all mail, bags,pouches, street furniture keys and scanning
devices from the vehicle.
• Lock all doors and shutters and close all windows.
• Activate the alarm (if applicable).
• Complete the logbook and hand it in with the vehicle keys.
• Where applicable complete your vehicle logbook and tachograph chart.
Dispose of street furniture keys and scanning devices in accordance
with local arrangements
• Report any defects or incidents that have occurred.
• Ensure all vehicle lights are turned off (both exterior and interior).
accidentally not depressing the clutch and lurching forward as Daveg said.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Due to the new handbrakes don't work shitty vans purchased/leased...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=78662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
&
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2019/01/think-hit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALWAYS leave the vehicle in a low gear – use first gear if facing uphill or on level ground, and use reverse if facing downhill
THINK H.I.T. – Handbrake on, In gear, Turn wheels
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=78662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
&
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2019/01/think-hit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALWAYS leave the vehicle in a low gear – use first gear if facing uphill or on level ground, and use reverse if facing downhill
THINK H.I.T. – Handbrake on, In gear, Turn wheels
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
wallan
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Passed my R M Test in 1965 in a Morris 240 , part of the test was demonstrating you new how to " Double De Clutch "panzer4 wrote:Must admit I always leave any vehicle I drive in gear when parking I was taught that when learning to drive 46 years ago and must mention my current car will not start unless the clutch is pressed .passed my Royal Mail driving assessment in a Morris minor
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Parking vans in work.
That have come up with a slogan H.I.T (handbrake, in gear, turn wheel)!!!
you forgot S before the H for stop!
you forgot S before the H for stop!
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Problem with that is because they have tiny gearboxes the shitty little Bippers have a tendancy to suffer from gearbox freezing overnight in the winter up here (yes it does get that cold).
There's a few times I've had to wait 10 minutes with the engine running until the whole thing warms up enough to change gear and I don't fancy sitting with the clutch in for that long, I'll get cramp.
There's a few times I've had to wait 10 minutes with the engine running until the whole thing warms up enough to change gear and I don't fancy sitting with the clutch in for that long, I'll get cramp.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Its a basic thing you never start a car without checking if its in gear no matter how much a hurry you are in.Daveg50 wrote:Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.
-
Vwtouran
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
That true those Peugeot bippers are the worstWoody Guthrie wrote:Problem with that is because they have tiny gearboxes the shitty little Bippers have a tendancy to suffer from gearbox freezing overnight in the winter up here (yes it does get that cold).
There's a few times I've had to wait 10 minutes with the engine running until the whole thing warms up enough to change gear and I don't fancy sitting with the clutch in for that long, I'll get cramp.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Every bloody day we have been hearing about in gear handbrake on, are they getting a massive spike in roll aways?
-
Munchboii
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Parking vans in work.
Your manager sounds like a jobsworth, any good manager with a brain would not be going around checking vans are in neutral!