ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
think i broke something
-
carlosevenos
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 23:55
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
I delivered a parcel to a house yesterday. As I was in a rush to place the parcel down and back away from the door, I dropped the parcel on the doorstep, probably higher than I should have. In hindsight I should have placed the item down first, but customers are still in a rush to open the door before I even knock still despite whats going on.
The customer collected the parcel and then a few minutes later opened the door and mentioned how the item was broken. He said he heard me drop it, which i cannot deny. Was a mistake on my part. It looked like it would have padding, but obviously didn't have enough. I mean people throw parcels around anyway in the offices and did ask if he was sure it was me. He said that he heard it, but I didn't hear an overly loud noise, just a standard dropping parcel noise, but I did have my headphones in my ears which weren't turned on, so I don't know.
I admitted fault and he said he didn't want to get me in trouble and I even offered to give him compensation myself to stop any hassle, which he declined. He mentioned as a friend had sent it, he couldn't really buy another one.
I asked him what the item was, and he showed me that it was a candle with the glass at the top a bit cracked. He was querying me on what to do about compensation etc, and said if I could ask my manager. I assume though that you'd have to fill out an online claim form, or is there another way?
I messaged to ask about what the person has to do in this situation as he's probably going to ask me about it? Is this anything that I could get in trouble for?
thanks
The customer collected the parcel and then a few minutes later opened the door and mentioned how the item was broken. He said he heard me drop it, which i cannot deny. Was a mistake on my part. It looked like it would have padding, but obviously didn't have enough. I mean people throw parcels around anyway in the offices and did ask if he was sure it was me. He said that he heard it, but I didn't hear an overly loud noise, just a standard dropping parcel noise, but I did have my headphones in my ears which weren't turned on, so I don't know.
I admitted fault and he said he didn't want to get me in trouble and I even offered to give him compensation myself to stop any hassle, which he declined. He mentioned as a friend had sent it, he couldn't really buy another one.
I asked him what the item was, and he showed me that it was a candle with the glass at the top a bit cracked. He was querying me on what to do about compensation etc, and said if I could ask my manager. I assume though that you'd have to fill out an online claim form, or is there another way?
I messaged to ask about what the person has to do in this situation as he's probably going to ask me about it? Is this anything that I could get in trouble for?
thanks
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
think i broke something
Accidents happen mate, don't beat yourself up about it, let him claim off Royal Mail if needed, they have far more money than you.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
Having to wear gloves and it was a hot day your hands slipped,s**t happens
-
afcdibby
- PARCELFORCE
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 20:58
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
The package wasn't packed good enough in the first place. End of.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
This.afcdibby wrote:The package wasn't packed good enough in the first place. End of.
If you really did only drop it on the door step from holding it, I'm guessing, around 2 feet above then it clearly wasn't packaged well enough.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
think i broke something
When ever I see FRAGILE or DO NOT BEND I can’t help myself, come on admit it, bet you all do it 
-
carlosevenos
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 23:55
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
i probably dropped it from waist length, so maybe 2 feet, so probably your right, it wasn't packaged well enough really. When your legs are aching from a long round, it hurts having to crouch and put things down
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
think i broke something
My van share partner did something similar in the old days when we shared a van. The customer refused to accept the item and it was RTS. A few days later another one turned up.
As others have said, incorrectly packaged is the answer. Not your fault.
As others have said, incorrectly packaged is the answer. Not your fault.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
Glad you're OK. When I saw the title I thought you'd broken your arm or something.
We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up over it. I simply tell the reciever that the sender should have used better packaging. I suggest he contact the sender and ask them to replace it. It's not their problem until they've accepted it .... would they like to Refuse it?
If they continue to give you a hard time I normally give them a 739 card and tell them to contact my Manager. TBH I don't think the 739s have the DO Tel No nowadays (they used to). But they can work their way through the menu , I'm sure they're a Customer Services option?
We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up over it. I simply tell the reciever that the sender should have used better packaging. I suggest he contact the sender and ask them to replace it. It's not their problem until they've accepted it .... would they like to Refuse it?
If they continue to give you a hard time I normally give them a 739 card and tell them to contact my Manager. TBH I don't think the 739s have the DO Tel No nowadays (they used to). But they can work their way through the menu , I'm sure they're a Customer Services option?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
Even if you do nothing, let him go through the usual claim for damage process, and even if you are questioned about it which from my experience is extremely unlikely, simply telling the truth, and saying you were trying to follow the new covid procedure, but before knocking he opened the door, startled you, and in a split second panic of suddenly through no fault of your own being in close contact with someone, you accidentally dropped the item from about waist height.
Tell the truth if asked and you’ll be fine.
Tell the truth if asked and you’ll be fine.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
tell him to claim the item was broken, he doesnt need to mention that he thinks YOU dropped it. It was just broken during the delivery process at some point. All he has to do is show that the item was broken and RM will likely pay out, theyre not going to go into a huge enquiry to find the exact time and reason it got broken, if they did this for each compensation claim it would cost millions.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
ive never heard a postie to be confronted by this UNLESS the customer has given such info in their claim, which the customer isnt required to do, its not up to the customer to determine at what point it was broken, only that it was broken when they recieved it.LaggyBand wrote:and even if you are questioned about it which from my experience is extremely unlikely,
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
You're too kind offering your own money. You may have broken it, entirely possible you didn't though. We've all seen how packages are handled in offices and no doubt it'd be no different throughout the pipeline. I do collections and have dropped stuff that appeared to break; I definately did break a bottle of Bailey's at Christmas coz it leaked over the floor! Accidents happen, just tell the customer next time to inform the sender asap it arrived broken. Another item then gets sent and it's between Royal Mail and the sender to sort out any compo, the customer just gets another item.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
Accidents do happen... that's why any item being sent should be in suitable packaging.
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
think i broke something
Thought it was the sender who had to claim not the receiver, tell him to contact the sender.