ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

summons for jury service

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiepete2
Posts: 49
Joined: 24 Feb 2020, 08:35
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by postiepete2 »

Got a letter for jury service in couple of months but it starts on my week off can you defer it even if your not going anywhere?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Yes
postiepete2
Posts: 49
Joined: 24 Feb 2020, 08:35
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by postiepete2 »

Would you get more money off the court if it's your week off because you won't have to pay back royal mail for the first week or is it not worth it?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Lord knows :crazy:
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by Celgar »

I'm not sure. I do know of an instance where someone was required to be in court but they had a skiing holiday previously booked up. Not sure how the courts found out or if the person told them but the police turned up on the day to make sure they would be at court and not on holiday.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

summons for jury service

Post by Ali831 »

You can defer jury service once but only if you have a holiday booked- proof is required, an operation-letter from doctor required or your employer refuses to allow you to attend in which case they have to supply a reason why. So sorry your week off or not you will have to attend
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by Woody Guthrie »

postiepete2 wrote:Would you get more money off the court if it's your week off because you won't have to pay back royal mail for the first week or is it not worth it?
If it's your week off you can claim back the days from Royal Mail but you still have to claim for loss of earnings and you still have to pay Royal Mail back.

If you choose not to claim back the days you won't owe Royal Mail anything but you can't claim loss of earnings because you're not attending work that week.
Only dead fish follow the current
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by Bboingg »

Presumably if you obtain a letter from your manager saying you have already booked annual leave for the week in question, that could be used instead of a holiday (away from home) booking, so you can apply for a deferment. I think you also give the court a list of other future booked dates to avoid a repeat clash.
postiepete2
Posts: 49
Joined: 24 Feb 2020, 08:35
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by postiepete2 »

Thanks everybody
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by paul1231 »

Ali831 wrote:You can defer jury service once but only if you have a holiday booked- proof is required, an operation-letter from doctor required or your employer refuses to allow you to attend in which case they have to supply a reason why. So sorry your week off or not you will have to attend
Id say this isn't true, I Attended Jury duty just over two years ago after deferring it from a few months previously which fell during two weeks leave i had from work. I took it off because i like to attend a local race meeting that week each year and had family visiting from abroad also and despite having nothing booked i had to prove nothing as just because you aren't going away doesn't mean you aren't doing anything with yourself, Just ring them up and tell them you cant make the dates and you get a form to fill in with your available dates. But they are right that you can only defer once and so have to attend on the other date.

Its actually quite interesting and you may even get lucky and have some bonus days off! I had to go back to work on friday of the second week as ended thursday and first week was only required for 3/5 days and they all ended up in early finishes. Just remember if you do need to go back to work early on the second week then the court are monday to friday so your day off should automatically be saturday! They tried to tell me i had to do friday and saturday even though id already done a 4 day week.
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

summons for jury service

Post by Ali831 »

paul1231 wrote:
Id say this isn't true.
I used the information direct from the government's website regarding reasons you can defer. A jurer will be stuck if the new dates it gets deferred to fall at an even more inconvenient time. Unless you can give availability which would be a much more sensible solution for anyone that gets called.
ted_glen
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Feb 2020, 17:11
Gender: Male

summons for jury service

Post by ted_glen »

Ali831 wrote:
paul1231 wrote:
Id say this isn't true.
I used the information direct from the government's website regarding reasons you can defer. A jurer will be stuck if the new dates it gets deferred to fall at an even more inconvenient time. Unless you can give availability which would be a much more sensible solution for anyone that gets called.
I have recently had a jury summons. When completing the summons response (either on the forms they send you or online) you can request a deferral and are asked to provide 3 sets of dates within the next 12 months when you are available for 2 weeks. You also have to provide a reason for requesting a deferral (although I wasnt asked to provide written proof). I have requested a deferral (only after I submitted the online form did I realise I should have said I was only available in December :arrrghhh )
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

summons for jury service

Post by k979aaa »

ted_glen wrote:
Ali831 wrote:
paul1231 wrote:
Id say this isn't true.
I used the information direct from the government's website regarding reasons you can defer. A jurer will be stuck if the new dates it gets deferred to fall at an even more inconvenient time. Unless you can give availability which would be a much more sensible solution for anyone that gets called.
I have recently had a jury summons. When completing the summons response (either on the forms they send you or online) you can request a deferral and are asked to provide 3 sets of dates within the next 12 months when you are available for 2 weeks. You also have to provide a reason for requesting a deferral (although I wasnt asked to provide written proof). I have requested a deferral (only after I submitted the online form did I realise I should have said I was only available in December :arrrghhh )
except courts rarely do lots of cases in December as they shut down two or three days before XMAS till after the 6 of January.