ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
weara
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 47
Joined: 04 Oct 2016, 18:28
Gender: Male

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Post by weara »

I have a 30hour contract and work every week 5days x 6hour shifts.
When I was given to sign up for my 22,5 days they asked me to sign for 5days every week, so basically 4 weeks a year (+2,5 days).
Full timers work 7,5 hours a day, so my hours account for 4 (full time days a week - 4 x 7,5hours = 30)
On my previous holidays I was paid for the 30 hours of my contract, not 5 full time days.
My question is, are they cheating me off a week of holidays per year the way they calculate it?
Because either they should allow me to use my holiday 4 days a week- amounting to 5 weeks a year (+2,5 days) or at least if they make me take 5 days a week, they should pay me for 5 full days, not part-time days.
To me it just doesn't add up.
Considering the way it works in other work places; if for example I had a 16hour contract, and I was doing 4 day shifts of 4 hours, when it came to holidays, every holiday week I would only be using 2 days, because 8hours is their daily shift (and 2x8=16)
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Post by picture123 »

Your holiday entitlement is in hours not days. Ask for a print off of your leave sheet. It's calculated by PSP it can't be 'fiddled'
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Post by joewyan »

weara wrote:I have a 30hour contract and work every week 5days x 6hour shifts.
When I was given to sign up for my 22,5 days they asked me to sign for 5days every week, so basically 4 weeks a year (+2,5 days).
Full timers work 7,5 hours a day, so my hours account for 4 (full time days a week - 4 x 7,5hours = 30)
On my previous holidays I was paid for the 30 hours of my contract, not 5 full time days.
My question is, are they cheating me off a week of holidays per year the way they calculate it?
Because either they should allow me to use my holiday 4 days a week- amounting to 5 weeks a year (+2,5 days) or at least if they make me take 5 days a week, they should pay me for 5 full days, not part-time days.
To me it just doesn't add up.
Considering the way it works in other work places; if for example I had a 16hour contract, and I was doing 4 day shifts of 4 hours, when it came to holidays, every holiday week I would only be using 2 days, because 8hours is their daily shift (and 2x8=16)
Your holiday entitlement is 22.5 days based upon your normal working day of 6 hours. Therefore if you have a week off (using 5 days leave) you will get paid 30 hours the same as you would if you worked that week. Your holiday entitlement is 135 hours.
beanmuncha
Posts: 305
Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Post by beanmuncha »

When you take a day or a week you get paid YOUR contract hours, not FT hours or anyone else's hours.
So when you take a week you will get paid 30 hours if you took a day it would be 6 hours
clockworkjerk
POST OFFICE
Posts: 54
Joined: 02 Nov 2008, 22:45
Gender: Male

Holiday Entitlement arrangements for part-timers

Post by clockworkjerk »

I don’t know what other places you’ve worked, but that’s well dodgy, in your favour it seems, getting double time to be on holiday.

Why are you expecting MORE pay when you are off? You ain’t full time when you are in so why would you be full time when off etc?