ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stolen Tracked
-
Jamesfr3man
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Hi all, I'm relatively new to royal mail, (about 7 months) and have just been told by a OPG a customer on a round I was doing has reported parcels missing. I had hidden said parcels behind his bins (I know I shouldn't do this and I regret it now
) What am I in for? I placed the parcels on his porch and moved his bins along to hide them, when I walked away I looked back to see if you could see them from the street, which you couldn't and was sure they were well hidden, obviously not well enough
I had a look after work today to see if he missed them and they are indeed gone! am I done for? 
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Don’t worry , did you scan them as safe place and take photo on pda ?. If so just say you considered it a safe place on quiet street etc .Maybe be a bit more selective in future about where you leave stuff .Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, I'm relatively new to royal mail, (about 7 months) and have just been told by a OPG a customer on a round I was doing has reported parcels missing. I had hidden said parcels behind his bins (I know I shouldn't do this and I regret it now) What am I in for? I placed the parcels on his porch and moved his bins along to hide them, when I walked away I looked back to see if you could see them from the street, which you couldn't and was sure they were well hidden, obviously not well enough
I had a look after work today to see if he missed them and they are indeed gone! am I done for?
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Are you sure it wasn't bin collection day
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Stolen Tracked
Big lesson for you Jamesfr3man if they're not in 739 it & take it back, no neighbors, no safe place, the only safe place is back @ the office & you keep your job 
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Why do it James? Why? 
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Stolen Tracked
Probably because he's been told to or heard others say they do it in the office.scoobydo79 wrote:Why do it James? Why?
Workplace coaches my left foot.
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
You can only leave tracked in a safe place if the parcel stipulates the safe place on it. It's still doorstepping and a breach of mail integrity if you decide the safe place yourself (even if you take a photo). Deliver to neighbour is first choice then P739chickenwittle wrote:Don’t worry , did you scan them as safe place and take photo on pda ?. If so just say you considered it a safe place on quiet street etc .Maybe be a bit more selective in future about where you leave stuff .Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, I'm relatively new to royal mail, (about 7 months) and have just been told by a OPG a customer on a round I was doing has reported parcels missing. I had hidden said parcels behind his bins (I know I shouldn't do this and I regret it now) What am I in for? I placed the parcels on his porch and moved his bins along to hide them, when I walked away I looked back to see if you could see them from the street, which you couldn't and was sure they were well hidden, obviously not well enough
I had a look after work today to see if he missed them and they are indeed gone! am I done for?
-
Post69
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 12 May 2017, 09:38
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Been in the job 30+ years and I quickly realised NEVER EVER trust the public
my first crap encounter with this sort of rubbish was a recorded delivery I didn't see the recorded delivery sticker (before barcodes)it was on the back of the letter so I knocked on the door explained I didn't have my recorded book you know me I know you etc etc he said "that's find mate no problem" when I got back to the office he had phoned up and complained he never signed for it apparently I just put it through his letterbox
always cover yourself!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
in the past this would have been a slap on the wrists, the way they treat tracked nowadays and the excuse of "i left them unattended without customers wishes" leaves you open for all consequences imo.
Why do it ? i know its too late for you now, and hopefully with a clear history you`ll get away with a warning, but what benefit does this have to ANYONE nowadays ? To make extra time to fit in more lapsing ?! :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Why do it ? i know its too late for you now, and hopefully with a clear history you`ll get away with a warning, but what benefit does this have to ANYONE nowadays ? To make extra time to fit in more lapsing ?! :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Nobody loses their job because of a parcel going missing, such alarmist nonsense isn't needed.twoloops wrote:Big lesson for you Jamesfr3man if they're not in 739 it & take it back, no neighbors, no safe place, the only safe place is back @ the office & you keep your job
You'll get a slap on the wrist; just explain you were doing somebody a favour and now regret it. As you're relatively new you're probably a reserve so in future I'd advise against doorstepping as you're unlikely to know who you are doing it for. It's far more likely the parcels haven't been stolen and the customer is just after compensation. I've had people deny recieving stuff when I've literally handed it to them.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Not quite true. Been a few in Scotland sacked recently for exact same thing. You would think common sense would prevail but seems different offices, different rules. Wouldnt like to guess what will happen here.Seymour Buts wrote:Nobody loses their job because of a parcel going missing, such alarmist nonsense isn't needed.twoloops wrote:Big lesson for you Jamesfr3man if they're not in 739 it & take it back, no neighbors, no safe place, the only safe place is back @ the office & you keep your job
You'll get a slap on the wrist; just explain you were doing somebody a favour and now regret it. As you're relatively new you're probably a reserve so in future I'd advise against doorstepping as you're unlikely to know who you are doing it for. It's far more likely the parcels haven't been stolen and the customer is just after compensation. I've had people deny recieving stuff when I've literally handed it to them.
People forget, we're not the only ones door stepping.If we were that way enclined, we could probably pinch a dozen rival courier parcels each day. Whose to say some of our rivals drivers aren't doing just that.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Chances are the item wasn't stolen at all, it will just be the customer trying it on.
Always best to follow the official line to cover yourself, the other day I had a tracked with a safeplace instruction of ''behind wheelie bin''... when I got to the address there was a note stuck to the gate asking to leave the pkt in the bin, I ignored the note and followed the safeplace instruction to leave behind the bin.
Always best to follow the official line to cover yourself, the other day I had a tracked with a safeplace instruction of ''behind wheelie bin''... when I got to the address there was a note stuck to the gate asking to leave the pkt in the bin, I ignored the note and followed the safeplace instruction to leave behind the bin.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Stolen Tracked
I would not consider “behind the bin” a safe place (hope you took a photo?) that would have gone back on my watch, your an accident waiting to happenwacko74 wrote:followed the safeplace instruction to leave behind the bin.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Stolen Tracked
knocked on a woman's door once with a redelivery parcel for her and she started moaning that she was pissed off that Posties don't leave parcels hidden for her when she isn't in as she hates going to the delivery office, saying she doesn't like the process.....
She was moaning and whining that we don't do something we could possibly get sacked for. Ridiculous.
As someone who is moved around I HATE people coming up to me in the street and asking for their post. I don't know them, they know I am not the regular postie. These impatient irritants!!! TBH I give them the post.....but from now on I am going to refuse and probably reply to them saying 'no, I am not risking getting sacked'. And I'm not talking about people on their driveways, I am talking about people who are in the street.
She was moaning and whining that we don't do something we could possibly get sacked for. Ridiculous.
As someone who is moved around I HATE people coming up to me in the street and asking for their post. I don't know them, they know I am not the regular postie. These impatient irritants!!! TBH I give them the post.....but from now on I am going to refuse and probably reply to them saying 'no, I am not risking getting sacked'. And I'm not talking about people on their driveways, I am talking about people who are in the street.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Stolen Tracked
Chalk it off to experience and learn from it. Remember the people you are delivering are (mostly) strangers, you owe them no favours, do the job how Royal Mail want it doing and don’t let any partner pressure you into going quick by taking risks.