ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Part timer covering a full time walk
-
TheoF95
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
Hi!
I have a question, I have a part time contract - 25 hours a week/ 5 hours a day.
I have been covering a full time Rural Walk including all indoor prep.
Would I be entitled to claim the full amount of hours ( 7 Hours & 36 Minutes ) regardless of the time I have worked, even if I finish early on a light day?
At the minute I have just been putting 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty and only claiming my actual time.
Thank you
I have a question, I have a part time contract - 25 hours a week/ 5 hours a day.
I have been covering a full time Rural Walk including all indoor prep.
Would I be entitled to claim the full amount of hours ( 7 Hours & 36 Minutes ) regardless of the time I have worked, even if I finish early on a light day?
At the minute I have just been putting 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty and only claiming my actual time.
Thank you
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
If it is a full time duty you are covering you should claim the full duty time, but in line with national agreements you should work to your finish time. If this means you need to ask for more work when you arrive back early then you must do this. unofficial practice on this may differ locally. As you are a part timer they will be keen not to pay you the correct duty time worked.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
What are your normal hours part time? 9-2pm? If so, then if you're starting at 7am you will be claiming 2 hours 'prep'. Any work that takes you past 2pm would be claimed as 'extended'.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Part timer covering a full time walk
I really hope you didn`t work for free...TheoF95 wrote:Hi!
I have a question, I have a part time contract - 25 hours a week/ 5 hours a day.
I have been covering a full time Rural Walk including all indoor prep.
Would I be entitled to claim the full amount of hours ( 7 Hours & 36 Minutes ) regardless of the time I have worked, even if I finish early on a light day?
At the minute I have just been putting 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty and only claiming my actual time.
Thank you
Your contract is 5 hours per day, if you work more than that then you claim overtime for all the hours worked over.
And don`t forget that if you work more hours, you have a bigger break, you can claim at least half of it and take the other half but better take your break and don`t rush around :)
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
Cannot claim any of your break at our office. Either take it or work the break time for free. Thought that was the line nationally. Area CWU put that in place here.Janet Brum wrote:I really hope you didn`t work for free...TheoF95 wrote:Hi!
I have a question, I have a part time contract - 25 hours a week/ 5 hours a day.
I have been covering a full time Rural Walk including all indoor prep.
Would I be entitled to claim the full amount of hours ( 7 Hours & 36 Minutes ) regardless of the time I have worked, even if I finish early on a light day?
At the minute I have just been putting 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty and only claiming my actual time.
Thank you
Your contract is 5 hours per day, if you work more than that then you claim overtime for all the hours worked over.
And don`t forget that if you work more hours, you have a bigger break, you can claim at least half of it and take the other half but better take your break and don`t rush around :)
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Part timer covering a full time walk
It`s definately not nationally, your rep is a poor one and should be replaced...
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
Some offices have an agreement of 20mins before and 20mins after delivery based on full time hours.
-
TheoF95
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
I don’t work for free I just put 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty time and claim anything after 12:00. We are allowed to add our break on at the end and claim it, for example if I finish at 13:00 my actual finish time would be 13:30 and I’ll claim 1:30 as overtime.Janet Brum wrote:I really hope you didn`t work for free...TheoF95 wrote:Hi!
I have a question, I have a part time contract - 25 hours a week/ 5 hours a day.
I have been covering a full time Rural Walk including all indoor prep.
Would I be entitled to claim the full amount of hours ( 7 Hours & 36 Minutes ) regardless of the time I have worked, even if I finish early on a light day?
At the minute I have just been putting 7:00 - 12:00 as my duty and only claiming my actual time.
Thank you
Your contract is 5 hours per day, if you work more than that then you claim overtime for all the hours worked over.
And don`t forget that if you work more hours, you have a bigger break, you can claim at least half of it and take the other half but better take your break and don`t rush around :)
Another reserve told me yesterday that I could claim 2:36 no matter what my finish time was, it’s a big walk that nobody likes and it’s not often I go under the duty time anyway, unless it’s really light like it was yesterday.
I was just wondering if it was common for people to always claim the duty and not your time worked but it seems to be different everywhere.
My contract is 9:00 - 14:00. I work in rural areas only and travel covering Annual Leave and days off. I have been on this same walk for months now, it’s a vacant round with no duty holder.
Thanks people
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
No, you should take your breaks. Banking of hours isn't allowed; regardless of who is doing it. You can't in any other job say I'm gonna not have my lunch break and leave an hour early or whatever. You can't accuse the company of breaking agreements and then at the same time want to leave 20 or 40 minutes early.Janet Brum wrote:It`s definately not nationally, your rep is a poor one and should be replaced...
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Part timer covering a full time walk
I`m not leaving early, I just claim half of my break at the end of the shift, sometimes I take it if I`m on afternoon collections, sometimes I`m not.
I don`t have to take all my break in one go, different office, different practice wich is not ideal.
I don`t have to take all my break in one go, different office, different practice wich is not ideal.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
This is the problem with having all sorts of different rules/practices across the 1400 units. I would take advice from your local rep to find out what your local rules are. Personally I would just book the hours you actually work but yes I have also heard of people being paid the full duty time, it normally depends on how popular you are with the management or how desperate they are for the work to be covered.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
If you're claiming your break, you are claiming for hours you're not doing. It shows on a pda that you're finishing at x time but still booking for another 20 minutes or whatever. You take a break before you go out and one during your shift, as close to half way round as possible. Don't get me wrong, 90% of my office operates like you do and it's accepted by management but it doesn't make it right. It leads to bs like the company saying "you finished early yesterday, don't book extended today" despite it being against the agreement. You can't bank hours; company or us.Janet Brum wrote:I`m not leaving early, I just claim half of my break at the end of the shift, sometimes I take it if I`m on afternoon collections, sometimes I`m not.
I don`t have to take all my break in one go, different office, different practice wich is not ideal.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Part timer covering a full time walk
The same pda actuals can tell if I took a break mid delivery or not and if I didn`t, no one can say I`m not entitled to my pay.
It`s how it is in my DO, what`s fair or what`s going to be in the future is a different story.
I don`t see why I shouldn`t claim for my untaken break considering half of my colleagues are finishing 2 hours + before their finishing time...
It`s how it is in my DO, what`s fair or what`s going to be in the future is a different story.
I don`t see why I shouldn`t claim for my untaken break considering half of my colleagues are finishing 2 hours + before their finishing time...
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Part timer covering a full time walk
There we have in summary how management play us off against each other - worker A (who comes in early and/or runs round) gets to ghost O/t to clear the office or finish v early and worker B, who has pissed them off working to the book is harassed for booking extended and told they cannot book untaken break. Hence more and more people do not claim any break or o/t even if they are owed it. All to ensure the manager trousers a nice fat bonus for hitting targets, hugely corrupt company.Janet Brum wrote:The same pda actuals can tell if I took a break mid delivery or not and if I didn`t, no one can say I`m not entitled to my pay.
It`s how it is in my DO, what`s fair or what`s going to be in the future is a different story.
I don`t see why I shouldn`t claim for my untaken break considering half of my colleagues are finishing 2 hours + before their finishing time...
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Part timer covering a full time walk
I agree with what you said, luckily for me, I`m worker C who works following procedures, I don`t run around, I don`t ghost and I do take most of my breaks and I also get my Ot paid as I don`t work for free.
And yes, my office is one of the good ones, we have runners and ghost OT but we can also claim all the time workes, including meal breaks. I feel for others who struggle but until people won`t do what needs to be done and stop ghosting, running around, there is not much to say who`s to be blamed...
And yes, my office is one of the good ones, we have runners and ghost OT but we can also claim all the time workes, including meal breaks. I feel for others who struggle but until people won`t do what needs to be done and stop ghosting, running around, there is not much to say who`s to be blamed...