ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
So, I've thought and thought about the travesty of justice that happened last week, resisted the urge to make any knee-jerk reactions. After careful deliberation, mulling it all over with a few ciders, this is where I'm at. I don't think I'm alone either.
Dear Rico,
I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you and your fellow board members for doing me and my family such a massive favour recently. For the past few years, since becoming a postman, the festive season has been a bit of a nightmare for me. It gets busy you see. You know all those lovely zeros that keep magically appearing on the end of the balance in your Swiss bank account? Well, I’m one of the foot soldiers who help put them there and in December it’s bloody hard work.
Parcels go through the roof, Christmas cards, Black Friday…we can barely get it all in the van at times. We call it Christmas pressure and, man, pressure is what we’re under for pretty much the whole of December. In recent years I’ve gone the extra mile to help get it all delivered; I’ve come in early to deliver overweights and I’ve even stayed out until half-five in the dark to clear the decks. The result of this goodwill (and it is goodwill- I don’t really need or particularly want the overtime) is that everything gets done, a few more zeroes go on the end of your bank balance and you and your fellow shareholding bigwigs chink champagne flutes together and puff on the finest cigars. Me? Well I end up falling asleep on the sofa after Christmas dinner because I am too knackered to spend the time with my loving and, thankfully, understanding family.
But, thanks to you and your high powered buddies, that is all going to change for me this Christmas. You see, I was one of those irritating employees of yours who backed my Union and voted to strike to protect this wonderful service and for you to honour previously agreed agreements. One of those plebs you decided to ignore, treat with absolute disdain and walk all over by denying us the democratic right to protest by running to the courts for another injunction. You won that, but shall I tell what you lost? My goodwill. My desire to go the extra mile.
Yet you have also empowered me. How? Well, I shan’t feel the slightest bit of guilt when declining my manager’s generous offers to come in early. I shan’t worry about leaving mail that cannot be delivered during my hours and then finishing on time after doing my shift properly and to the best of my ability. The result of this? Well, no doubt I shall have some of your bullying managers on my case, but that’s okay, because my Christmas is going to be better this year. I’m not going to be so tired. I won’t fall asleep on the sofa like an old man. I’ll be able to spend some magical, quality time with my loving family.
And you, Rico, you have made this possible. You stomped all over my democratic rights, but you gave Christmas back to me and my family. It really is true that not all heroes wear capes and we thank you from the bottom of our peasant hearts.
Happy holidays, Rico, and warm regards,
Crimson King
Dear Rico,
I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you and your fellow board members for doing me and my family such a massive favour recently. For the past few years, since becoming a postman, the festive season has been a bit of a nightmare for me. It gets busy you see. You know all those lovely zeros that keep magically appearing on the end of the balance in your Swiss bank account? Well, I’m one of the foot soldiers who help put them there and in December it’s bloody hard work.
Parcels go through the roof, Christmas cards, Black Friday…we can barely get it all in the van at times. We call it Christmas pressure and, man, pressure is what we’re under for pretty much the whole of December. In recent years I’ve gone the extra mile to help get it all delivered; I’ve come in early to deliver overweights and I’ve even stayed out until half-five in the dark to clear the decks. The result of this goodwill (and it is goodwill- I don’t really need or particularly want the overtime) is that everything gets done, a few more zeroes go on the end of your bank balance and you and your fellow shareholding bigwigs chink champagne flutes together and puff on the finest cigars. Me? Well I end up falling asleep on the sofa after Christmas dinner because I am too knackered to spend the time with my loving and, thankfully, understanding family.
But, thanks to you and your high powered buddies, that is all going to change for me this Christmas. You see, I was one of those irritating employees of yours who backed my Union and voted to strike to protect this wonderful service and for you to honour previously agreed agreements. One of those plebs you decided to ignore, treat with absolute disdain and walk all over by denying us the democratic right to protest by running to the courts for another injunction. You won that, but shall I tell what you lost? My goodwill. My desire to go the extra mile.
Yet you have also empowered me. How? Well, I shan’t feel the slightest bit of guilt when declining my manager’s generous offers to come in early. I shan’t worry about leaving mail that cannot be delivered during my hours and then finishing on time after doing my shift properly and to the best of my ability. The result of this? Well, no doubt I shall have some of your bullying managers on my case, but that’s okay, because my Christmas is going to be better this year. I’m not going to be so tired. I won’t fall asleep on the sofa like an old man. I’ll be able to spend some magical, quality time with my loving family.
And you, Rico, you have made this possible. You stomped all over my democratic rights, but you gave Christmas back to me and my family. It really is true that not all heroes wear capes and we thank you from the bottom of our peasant hearts.
Happy holidays, Rico, and warm regards,
Crimson King
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
roadrunner bill
- Posts: 472
- Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 09:03
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
I dont think Rico will care, or even read your letter... unfortunately like Jeff Bezos of Amazon.. psychopaths dont see anything , but themselves...they dont care or give a toss about its employees.. they only see their own destructive delusional need for their own gain...
Last edited by roadrunner bill on 17 Nov 2019, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Good letter but He won’t give a sh1t
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Thanks. Yeah, I know he wouldn't and is not even likely to even see it, but it helped get things straighter for me, on a personal level, going forward.scoobydo79 wrote:Good letter but He won’t give a sh1t
Thought I'd share and if it helps anyone else to put a bit of perspective on it all, then cool.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
-
mattjo1@talktalk.net
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
What a joke
-
calsae
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Crimson King as others say Rico won’t see this BUT that could change if the CWU were to promote your letter as the feelings of just an ordinary Postal worker. A well written open letter portraying the feelings of many within this once great company

-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
roadrunner bill wrote:I dont think Rico will care, or even read your letter... unfortunately like Jeff Bezos of Amazon.. psychopaths dont see anything , but themselves...they dont care or give a toss about its employees.. they only see their own destructive delusional need for their own gain...
Very much this. Psychopaths view themselves as all powerful predators and everyone else as weak, exploitable prey... and I'm convinced that ALL top business leaders hold psychopathic tendencies to a lesser or greater extent.
-
Subman
- Posts: 138
- Joined: 24 Mar 2018, 18:12
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
I really enjoyed that crimson king.
As someone who has thrown a few posts together over these last few days I know that you will feel the better for sharing and that is the most important thing.It is also great for the rest of us ( there are always a few exceptions) to know that there are lots of other people who feel exactly the same way about Rico and Royal Mail.
As someone who has thrown a few posts together over these last few days I know that you will feel the better for sharing and that is the most important thing.It is also great for the rest of us ( there are always a few exceptions) to know that there are lots of other people who feel exactly the same way about Rico and Royal Mail.
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
A most excellent letter Crimson King, the sentiment of which will no doubt be shared by a fair proportion of staff in every delivery unit across the country. I too will be going about my role pretty much as you have described and you never know, the more of us that do then the your message may well filter all the way to Geneva 
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Well said that man,a calmly constructed letter telling it how it is,but alas would fall on deaf ears,but saying exactly what people are thinking up and down the country,if it wasn’t for the banter at work over issues etc it would be a soul destroying place,and with the festive season coming up,I sure as hell ain’t gonna let the management grinches steal my xmas, however hard that will be,for several years now we’ve declined our bosses brunch spread of cakes etc told him not to bother and save even more money from his precious budget!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
They have narcissistic personality's ie they love themselves at the expense of others these are the type of people who cannot handle rejection and take it out on their EX or employees often with disastrous consequences yet they bring upon themselves all they deserve!wacko74 wrote:roadrunner bill wrote:I dont think Rico will care, or even read your letter... unfortunately like Jeff Bezos of Amazon.. psychopaths dont see anything , but themselves...they dont care or give a toss about its employees.. they only see their own destructive delusional need for their own gain...
Very much this. Psychopaths view themselves as all powerful predators and everyone else as weak, exploitable prey... and I'm convinced that ALL top business leaders hold psychopathic tendencies to a lesser or greater extent.
-
superports
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Great letter! Sums up exactly how I feel. I've started turning down overtime despite threats from management on a daily basis and I fully expect to be taken off my duty for Xmas. My goodwill is non existent.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2225
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Dear Rico (An Open Letter)
Weve more ppl doing ,,the job properly since last week even some of the newer starts.