ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hours query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lw1987
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Oct 2019, 23:28
Gender: Female

Hours query

Post by Lw1987 »

Hi!

Hope I’m posting in the right place.

I’ve just recently been offered and accepted a position with collection and driving which I’m really excited about. Looking forward to no more office and exercise!

It’s at a different depot than I originally applied for as I agreed to have my application passed over to nearby depots but it means the hours are different. The lady on the phone was very nice but couldn’t tell me much about the specific hours.

This is what the job description says:
27:30 hours, between 07:00 and 12:00 Start Times and 14:00 and 19:00 Finish Times , 5 days per week across Monday – Saturday

I don’t quite understand it because it sounds like the shifts could be 7 hours long but that would be 35 hours a week.
Also those that do late shifts, do you do this the whole week or is it a few times a week?

Maybe these are stupid questions but I have two weeks until my induction and just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks!
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Hours query

Post by Trail »

Lw1987 wrote:Hi!

Hope I’m posting in the right place.

I’ve just recently been offered and accepted a position with collection and driving which I’m really excited about. Looking forward to no more office and exercise!

It’s at a different depot than I originally applied for as I agreed to have my application passed over to nearby depots but it means the hours are different. The lady on the phone was very nice but couldn’t tell me much about the specific hours.

This is what the job description says:
27:30 hours, between 07:00 and 12:00 Start Times and 14:00 and 19:00 Finish Times , 5 days per week across Monday – Saturday

I don’t quite understand it because it sounds like the shifts could be 7 hours long but that would be 35 hours a week.
Also those that do late shifts, do you do this the whole week or is it a few times a week?

Maybe these are stupid questions but I have two weeks until my induction and just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks!

If you're over your 27 hours then just claim it as OT. I was contracted for 24 hours but regularly did ridiculous hours. Just stick it down on overtime.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Hours query

Post by redneck »

You appear to be the victim of yet another 'under hours' contract. Expecting you to work a lot more than the stated right from the off. The company as a result works on overtime, make sure you book it, but make sure you have proper notification of start and finish times in advance, so you can actually live a life. You are entitled to that.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Hours query

Post by Route1 »

Lw1987 wrote:Hi!

Hope I’m posting in the right place.

I’ve just recently been offered and accepted a position with collection and driving which I’m really excited about. Looking forward to no more office and exercise!

It’s at a different depot than I originally applied for as I agreed to have my application passed over to nearby depots but it means the hours are different. The lady on the phone was very nice but couldn’t tell me much about the specific hours.

This is what the job description says:
27:30 hours, between 07:00 and 12:00 Start Times and 14:00 and 19:00 Finish Times , 5 days per week across Monday – Saturday

I don’t quite understand it because it sounds like the shifts could be 7 hours long but that would be 35 hours a week.
Also those that do late shifts, do you do this the whole week or is it a few times a week?

Maybe these are stupid questions but I have two weeks until my induction and just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks!
Best to speak to someone from the new depot as they will know specifics. But i'm guessing if it doesnt involve delivery then it'll mainly be later starts & finishes during the week with an earlier start & finish on a saturday. Like i said i dont have clue as u need to speak to the depot.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Hours query

Post by NewPostieUK »

between 07:00 and 12:00 Start Times and 14:00 and 19:00 Finish Times

According to that (and it's probably wrong) you could start any time between 7:00 and 12:00 and finish between 2:00 and 7pm.

So 27.5 hours over 5 days is 5.5 hrs a day. If you started at 7:oo you'd finish at 12:30pm, so that makes it rubbish to start with. This is highly unlikely as part timers usually start later than every one else. I start at 9am.

You'll probably be working 9am - 2:30 pm (your contracted hours) and start early / go over as required (overtime).
Lw1987
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Oct 2019, 23:28
Gender: Female

Hours query

Post by Lw1987 »

Thanks for your replies.

After my induction I’m s starting my first day at 7am so I guess I’ll be finishing at all 12.30?! God knows.
I think I’ll email and ask. I didn’t want to seem like I was fussing over the hours already but would be nice to know a rough idea of the shift patterns that makes sense.