ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van Share

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by danterossetti »

My Driver is sometimes a little slower than me doing his loops. As I can drive would it be ok to drive off and do a couple of oversize parcels while I am waiting for him?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by scoobydo79 »

No He signed for the van He is the driver and You are His passenger.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by gimba »

Yeah it's fine
As long as youve passed the royal mail driving test thing
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by hawkeye622 »

If i know I'm going to be back before my van share I'll try and get some bulk or specials delivered depending on what we've got!
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Van Share

Post by twoloops »

The old fellow I work with is that slow I nip home for a cup of tea & fag :Very Happy
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by Celgar »

Van share posties usually have a van key each. Given that most people have mobile phones nowadays I don't see any problem with you delivering a few parcels in the van.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by daveyeff »

Celgar wrote:Van share posties usually have a van key each. Given that most people have mobile phones nowadays I don't see any problem with you delivering a few parcels in the van.
its a problem for me. I don't drive.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Van Share

Post by Route1 »

Official answer is no you cant drive unless u fill in the extra bit on the back of the logbook (that most log books dont have) stating yes you drove the van and fill in mileage. They can know if the passenger is driving if his/her pda is travelling at 25mph & the drivers pda is moving at 3mph.

In the last year we've had this discussion in our office and the manager likes to prevent any fallback on him so explained to us only the designated driver who has signed out the logbook is allowed to drive. Technically the passenger "might" not even be insured. Dont know how much truth there is to this.

Allegedly it to prevent the case of when an accident occurs and both posties claim that the other drove during the accident.

I'm the passenger and as I finish before my partner most of the time i drive and do the oversize parcels.
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by ganda »

Annotation 2019-09-16 201959.jpg
The straight answer is yes, with provisos. You have to fill the log book in, doing a daily vehicle check as a minimum. This needs to happen everytime the driver of the vehicle is changed. So when your partner comes to drive again he must do the same. This is in keeping with our operators licence, RM need to know who was driving and in charge of the vehicle at all times. If you should get caught speeding or any other misdemeanor then the name in the logbook is the person in charge and will be issued with the points or fine. Should your partner try and fight this on the basis "I wasn't driving" you will be laying yourself open to the question of why were you driving then, and the concequences that go along with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.