Good afternoon all,
I have recently received a letter from the tax office stating my tax code is incorrect. I understand in this current financial year the personal tax allowance is £12,500.
However as a uniform wearer we are entitled to an additional allowance which I believe to be £120 (thus making my total personal allowance £12,620) therefore my tax code was 1262L/0
They (HMRC) are now saying this is incorrect and I am only entitled to a £60 uniform allowance ? Other Posties in my office are still on tax code 1262L/0 - the end result is I now have a bill off HMRC for the previous tax year which they claim I was on the wrong tax code, plus they have now reduced my tax code down for the current financial year to 1256L/0
Just wondering what tax code other Posties are on ? (I am an outdoor uniform wearer doing a postal walk)
Have HMRC got this wrong ? Do we get a £120 uniform allowance or as they saying to me it should only be £60 per year.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tax Code Query
-
Beancounter
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 18:10
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
I recently claimed and was given a £60 allowance. How I enjoy spending my 25p per week. 
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
I had a HMRC letter saying I owe £52
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
See the discussion on this previous thread (including link to govt. website listing the rates),Merlin0808 wrote:Good afternoon all,
I have recently received a letter from the tax office stating my tax code is incorrect. I understand in this current financial year the personal tax allowance is £12,500.
However as a uniform wearer we are entitled to an additional allowance which I believe to be £120 (thus making my total personal allowance £12,620) therefore my tax code was 1262L/0
They (HMRC) are now saying this is incorrect and I am only entitled to a £60 uniform allowance ? Other Posties in my office are still on tax code 1262L/0 - the end result is I now have a bill off HMRC for the previous tax year which they claim I was on the wrong tax code, plus they have now reduced my tax code down for the current financial year to 1256L/0
Just wondering what tax code other Posties are on ? (I am an outdoor uniform wearer doing a postal walk)
Have HMRC got this wrong ? Do we get a £120 uniform allowance or as they saying to me it should only be £60 per year.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... de#p855819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
some get 120 others get 60, no apparent logic behind it......
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
I'm on the £60 allowance code
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
I'm on the £120 allowance code cannot understand the difference.gimba wrote:I'm on the £60 allowance code
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Tax Code Query
1262 sorry but see your rep or area rep It really piss me off that they crack down on a poor postal worker and not tax evaders like who Boris was one was he not and Arron Banks oh and lord ashworth millions but hey £60 corruption anyone?
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
Merlin, I am on the same tax code as you. It includes £120 flat rate job expenses as indicated on my tax code notice.
But the link given explains the reason for disparity.
But the link given explains the reason for disparity.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
Mine was nothing to do with cleaning allowance .thanks everyone for replying
-
Merlin0808
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Apr 2017, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Tax Code Query
** UPDATE **
I gave HMRC a call on 0300 200 3300 (Income Tax general enquires) explained the situation and they agreed Royal Mail staff get a £120 uniform allowance. My tax code was reduced in error by HMRC, they immediately changed it back to 1262L for me. And advised Royal Mail payroll will be advised about the change within 72hrs.
So any out there only receiving the flat rate of £60 (tax code 1256L) give them a call.
I gave HMRC a call on 0300 200 3300 (Income Tax general enquires) explained the situation and they agreed Royal Mail staff get a £120 uniform allowance. My tax code was reduced in error by HMRC, they immediately changed it back to 1262L for me. And advised Royal Mail payroll will be advised about the change within 72hrs.
So any out there only receiving the flat rate of £60 (tax code 1256L) give them a call.