ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

duty over contract hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

duty over contract hours

Post by has2tri »

I am on a 20 hour contract.
For the past 6 months I have been on a duty that is 30 hours, plus doing overtime.

I have been told I can ask for my contract to be made up to the 30 hours of the duty.

Is this correct and how do I go about doing it?
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

duty over contract hours

Post by DGH »

Unfortunately, the union has adopted the position that any enhanced contracts should be offered on the basis of seniority rather than (as common sense would dictate) to the person who's actually been working those hours. It's things like this that highlight how sadly stuck in the past the union is in some respects.

You could probably argue the toss about this at arbitration, but obviously you'd have to do that without union assistance . . . It's also worth being aware that while enhanced contracts are sometimes given out by RM, they tend to want to avoid doing so.

I'm afraid you're up against it having both union and management aligned against you.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

duty over contract hours

Post by has2tri »

:roll: Thanks for the reply
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

duty over contract hours

Post by Janet Brum »

It`s worth talking to your union rep, I was less senior and I still got my contract increased, in fact all the part timers contracts in my office had been increased recently.
Good luck mate.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

duty over contract hours

Post by redneck »

DGH wrote:Unfortunately, the union has adopted the position that any enhanced contracts should be offered on the basis of seniority rather than (as common sense would dictate) to the person who's actually been working those hours. It's things like this that highlight how sadly stuck in the past the union is in some respects.

You could probably argue the toss about this at arbitration, but obviously you'd have to do that without union assistance . . . It's also worth being aware that while enhanced contracts are sometimes given out by RM, they tend to want to avoid doing so.

I'm afraid you're up against it having both union and management aligned against you.
Why is the union 'stuck in the past' when the agreed approach (Way Forward Agreement 2000) basically reinforces the perfectly reasonable right of an employee who started some time before this person and may be on a duty of less hours per week to be allowed the right to pick the duty this person is doing?

These things have to be done by seniority. The alternative is a management driven favouritism free for all, rewarding early starters, those who do not claim. See your rep and discuss, they should know the correct procedures. Under seniority you will get the 30 hour contract or whatever at the correct time. It is true to say management also will not make anyone up to anything like whaat they work unless put under pressure from the union.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

duty over contract hours

Post by k979aaa »

redneck wrote:
DGH wrote:Unfortunately, the union has adopted the position that any enhanced contracts should be offered on the basis of seniority rather than (as common sense would dictate) to the person who's actually been working those hours. It's things like this that highlight how sadly stuck in the past the union is in some respects.

You could probably argue the toss about this at arbitration, but obviously you'd have to do that without union assistance . . . It's also worth being aware that while enhanced contracts are sometimes given out by RM, they tend to want to avoid doing so.

I'm afraid you're up against it having both union and management aligned against you.
Why is the union 'stuck in the past' when the agreed approach (Way Forward Agreement 2000) basically reinforces the perfectly reasonable right of an employee who started some time before this person and may be on a duty of less hours per week to be allowed the right to pick the duty this person is doing?

These things have to be done by seniority. The alternative is a management driven favouritism free for all, rewarding early starters, those who do not claim. See your rep and discuss, they should know the correct procedures. Under seniority you will get the 30 hour contract or whatever at the correct time. It is true to say management also will not make anyone up to anything like whaat they work unless put under pressure from the union.
Perhaps when the 35 hour week is introduced it will give part time staff a living wage full time staff a job which can be achieved and most of all narrow these differences!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

duty over contract hours

Post by NewPostieUK »

has2tri wrote:I am on a 20 hour contract.
For the past 6 months I have been on a duty that is 30 hours, plus doing overtime.
What do you mean plus overtime? If you are on a 20 hr contract and doing 30 hrs that 10 hrs overtime. If you go over by 30 mins thats 10.5 hrs overtime.

That's like saying I'm doing overtime, plus overtime. You are just doing overtime.

has2tri wrote: I have been told I can ask for my contract to be made up to the 30 hours of the duty.
That is correct, you can ask. Your office clearly need 10 hrs (at least) putting in. If you ask, then your office has a chance of getting more hrs. These hrs will be in the form of increased contracts, offered on seniority.
If people with more seniority than you turn it down, then you will be offered more hrs on your contract.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

duty over contract hours

Post by has2tri »

NewPostieUK wrote:
has2tri wrote:I am on a 20 hour contract.
For the past 6 months I have been on a duty that is 30 hours, plus doing overtime.
What do you mean plus overtime? If you are on a 20 hr contract and doing 30 hrs that 10 hrs overtime. If you go over by 30 mins thats 10.5 hrs overtime.

That's like saying I'm doing overtime, plus overtime. You are just doing overtime.

has2tri wrote: I have been told I can ask for my contract to be made up to the 30 hours of the duty.
That is correct, you can ask. Your office clearly need 10 hrs (at least) putting in. If you ask, then your office has a chance of getting more hrs. These hrs will be in the form of increased contracts, offered on seniority.
If people with more seniority than you turn it down, then you will be offered more hrs on your contract.
Sorry to explain.....I am on 'scheduled' overtime (if that is the correct word) of 2 hours a day. So at the moment I know that is happening. I know I will be doing 6 hours a day as opposed to my 4 hours a day but then regularly get asked to do more on top of my 2 hours.

Thank you all I will talk to my rep and see what they say about it
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

duty over contract hours

Post by Yamr1 »

k979aaa wrote:
redneck wrote:
DGH wrote:Unfortunately, the union has adopted the position that any enhanced contracts should be offered on the basis of seniority rather than (as common sense would dictate) to the person who's actually been working those hours. It's things like this that highlight how sadly stuck in the past the union is in some respects.

You could probably argue the toss about this at arbitration, but obviously you'd have to do that without union assistance . . . It's also worth being aware that while enhanced contracts are sometimes given out by RM, they tend to want to avoid doing so.

I'm afraid you're up against it having both union and management aligned against you.
Why is the union 'stuck in the past' when the agreed approach (Way Forward Agreement 2000) basically reinforces the perfectly reasonable right of an employee who started some time before this person and may be on a duty of less hours per week to be allowed the right to pick the duty this person is doing?

These things have to be done by seniority. The alternative is a management driven favouritism free for all, rewarding early starters, those who do not claim. See your rep and discuss, they should know the correct procedures. Under seniority you will get the 30 hour contract or whatever at the correct time. It is true to say management also will not make anyone up to anything like whaat they work unless put under pressure from the union.
Perhaps when the 35 hour week is introduced it will give part time staff a living wage full time staff a job which can be achieved and most of all narrow these differences!

Well said
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

duty over contract hours

Post by yellowbelly »

has2tri wrote:I am on a 20 hour contract.
For the past 6 months I have been on a duty that is 30 hours, plus doing overtime.

I have been told I can ask for my contract to be made up to the 30 hours of the duty.

Is this correct and how do I go about doing it?
Now is the time to request the review (see the quote from the RM publicity guff below pushed out after the vote on the 'Deal Of The Century' - I mean 'Four Pillars Agreement') that we voted on a couple of years ago:
We will honour our agreements regarding part-time colleagues:

» Part-time colleagues’ contracted hours will be jointly reviewed every March and September.
Where appropriate, increased contracted hours will be offered to reflect the hours actually
worked and planned.
Obviously RM's get out clause in the above text is 'where appropriate'.........