ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
What's the rules regarding managers texting our personal mobiles to tell us before we have clocked on to go to another depot?
Am I in my right's to switch my mobile phone off until I get to work?
Then in work time when I am paid I don't care where they send me or what I do.
What I don't like is being mithered from my slumber with a text from my manager to ask me if I can drive to a new depot in my own time before I start getting paid. Interfering with my personal time when I am not getting paid.
Are they any rules and regulations over this?
Or will I just get sacked because as a "Reserve" my personal mobile phone can be used at my managers beck and call to do their bidding?
Am I in my right's to switch my mobile phone off until I get to work?
Then in work time when I am paid I don't care where they send me or what I do.
What I don't like is being mithered from my slumber with a text from my manager to ask me if I can drive to a new depot in my own time before I start getting paid. Interfering with my personal time when I am not getting paid.
Are they any rules and regulations over this?
Or will I just get sacked because as a "Reserve" my personal mobile phone can be used at my managers beck and call to do their bidding?
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
The mobile part is irrelevant. Because when going to another office you start at your own office at your start time. Then they should provide you with transport to get to the other office. Don't use your own car, social domestic and commuting insurance don't cover you to got too other offices. Also you need to be back at your own office for your finishing time. Unless you want the overtime that is.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
Blimey that changes things massively. My manager has basically been texting me over an hour before I am supposed to start and expecting me to drive to the new depot in my own time and drive home afterwards. Obviously it uses up a lot more of my personal time as I don't know basic things such as where to park etc.CPTNemoUK wrote:The mobile part is irrelevant. Because when going to another office you start at your own office at your start time. Then they should provide you with transport to get to the other office. Don't use your own car, social domestic and commuting insurance don't cover you to got too other offices. Also you need to be back at your own office for your finishing time. Unless you want the overtime that is.
It seems like a lot of the reserves in my depot are used like this though. So if it is the norm for reserves where I work then won't I get sacked if I do what you say?
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
You will also find by doing this they will stop sending you too other offices because you will make it too awkward for them. And too add why should you wear your own car out for them. One last thing I hope you claimed for your mileage too the other office minus your usual miles too your own office.Cloudwatcher wrote:Blimey that changes things massively. My manager has basically been texting me over an hour before I am supposed to start and expecting me to drive to the new depot in my own time and drive home afterwards. Obviously it uses up a lot more of my personal time as I don't know basic things such as where to park etc.CPTNemoUK wrote:The mobile part is irrelevant. Because when going to another office you start at your own office at your start time. Then they should provide you with transport to get to the other office. Don't use your own car, social domestic and commuting insurance don't cover you to got too other offices. Also you need to be back at your own office for your finishing time. Unless you want the overtime that is.
It seems like a lot of the reserves in my depot are used like this though. So if it is the norm for reserves where I work then won't I get sacked if I do what you say?
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
Mmmmm thanks.I suppose I am within my rights to not have my personal mobile phone switched on before work?CPTNemoUK wrote:You will also find by doing this they will stop sending you too other offices because you will make it too awkward for them. And too add why should you wear your own car out for them. One last thing I hope you claimed for your mileage too the other office minus your usual miles too your own office.Cloudwatcher wrote:Blimey that changes things massively. My manager has basically been texting me over an hour before I am supposed to start and expecting me to drive to the new depot in my own time and drive home afterwards. Obviously it uses up a lot more of my personal time as I don't know basic things such as where to park etc.CPTNemoUK wrote:The mobile part is irrelevant. Because when going to another office you start at your own office at your start time. Then they should provide you with transport to get to the other office. Don't use your own car, social domestic and commuting insurance don't cover you to got too other offices. Also you need to be back at your own office for your finishing time. Unless you want the overtime that is.
It seems like a lot of the reserves in my depot are used like this though. So if it is the norm for reserves where I work then won't I get sacked if I do what you say?
My only worry is that I only started at RM 6 weeks ago and there are lots of other newbies like me at my depot and maybe they can just sack me in my "trial period" (probation is 6 months isn't it) if I don't play the game like all the other newbies seem to do..........
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
I wouldn't worry about your probation period. I've never know anyone to fail it and I've seen some very bad new starts. They cant sack you for using royal mails own procedures. Plus you don't want to get caught driving in validating your insurance for them because they wont back you up if it happens.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
OK ta very much. Monday I will simply keep my mobile switched off until I get to work. If my manager says anything I will just say it is not a work phone and I prefer not to use smart phones first thing in the morning :-)CPTNemoUK wrote:I wouldn't worry about your probation period. I've never know anyone to fail it and I've seen some very bad new starts. They cant sack you for using royal mails own procedures. Plus you don't want to get caught driving in validating your insurance for them because they wont back you up if it happens.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
Do any other reserves turn their mobile phones off before arriving at the depot to avoid texts commanding them to go elsewhere?
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
There's nothing in your contract saying you have to own a mobile phone, let alone answer it or have it on if you do.Cloudwatcher wrote:Do any other reserves turn their mobile phones off before arriving at the depot to avoid texts commanding them to go elsewhere?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
LTB from the other day (union board)
The new entrant should work only in their parent unit for a period of 26 weeks and not loaned to other units within the locality.
The new entrant should work only in their parent unit for a period of 26 weeks and not loaned to other units within the locality.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
You are within your rights to NOT EVEN OWN A PHONE.Cloudwatcher wrote: Am I in my right's to switch my mobile phone off until I get to work?
It's your phone you can switch it off or on whenever you like.
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
Just add his number to your block list. You shouldn't have to turn off your personal phone to avoid your manager. If he wants to contact you that badly, tell him to provide you with a work phone.Cloudwatcher wrote:OK ta very much. Monday I will simply keep my mobile switched off until I get to work. If my manager says anything I will just say it is not a work phone and I prefer not to use smart phones first thing in the morning :-)CPTNemoUK wrote:I wouldn't worry about your probation period. I've never know anyone to fail it and I've seen some very bad new starts. They cant sack you for using royal mails own procedures. Plus you don't want to get caught driving in validating your insurance for them because they wont back you up if it happens.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
Thanks everyone. I slept on it and indeed I am perfectly within my rights to not use my personal mobile for work purposes outside of work. To keep it simple I will just drive to my SO, clock on and then they can send me where they wish in work time with their own transport. Its not like I am an agency worker where I need to switch my phone on to get work. I am contracted to work 5:30 hours per day and that's what I will do.
It does seem to me a little worrying that a lot of the other reserves, especially the newbies on probation, seem to accept that being sent to other depots by text after a few weeks of joining is OK. But that doesn't mean that I have to put up with it......
Interesting that I should not be sent to other depots for 26 weeks. Is there any evidence I can share to my manager to back this up. At present I think I will compromise and ignore morning texts but if they ask me in the depot to go somewhere else tomorrow then I will. Probably compromise is best for now.
It does seem to me a little worrying that a lot of the other reserves, especially the newbies on probation, seem to accept that being sent to other depots by text after a few weeks of joining is OK. But that doesn't mean that I have to put up with it......
Interesting that I should not be sent to other depots for 26 weeks. Is there any evidence I can share to my manager to back this up. At present I think I will compromise and ignore morning texts but if they ask me in the depot to go somewhere else tomorrow then I will. Probably compromise is best for now.
-
Numberone63
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
MOBILE PHONE RULES......
1.....it’s your private phone.
2.....turn it on, turn it off however and as often as you like
3.....NEVER take phone to bed (just your partner)
4.....rules 1 and 2 and 3 ALWAYS apply
1.....it’s your private phone.
2.....turn it on, turn it off however and as often as you like
3.....NEVER take phone to bed (just your partner)
4.....rules 1 and 2 and 3 ALWAYS apply
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Mobile Phones. Any rules?
It depends if you want to make money out of it. I mean we work to make money, getting sent to another office is easy £££.
Get business insurance on your car, costs like £20, then invoice your mileage at around 40p per mile to the firm. Turn up at your office "oops I didn't see your message, sorry" then get paid to drive your car to another office and claim easy overtime.
You're on a 5 and a half hour contract, I've been there and if you need the extra money then this is the way to do it.
You're also covering rounds you don't know so will be expected to book overtime, especially after turning up late factoring in the driving to another office.
Just depends on your circumstances!
Get business insurance on your car, costs like £20, then invoice your mileage at around 40p per mile to the firm. Turn up at your office "oops I didn't see your message, sorry" then get paid to drive your car to another office and claim easy overtime.
You're on a 5 and a half hour contract, I've been there and if you need the extra money then this is the way to do it.
You're also covering rounds you don't know so will be expected to book overtime, especially after turning up late factoring in the driving to another office.
Just depends on your circumstances!