ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Death of grandmother

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
PostmanPat91
Posts: 7
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 15:12
Gender: Male

Death of grandmother

Post by PostmanPat91 »

Hi guys, my grandmother passed away a few days ago, I am currently on annual leave and I will be needing to take next week off to help my dad out. I was wondering if this would be a sufficient reason to take sick leave?
Last edited by PostmanPat91 on 28 Aug 2019, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
tooearlyforme
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Aug 2019, 14:48
Gender: Male

Death of grandmother

Post by tooearlyforme »

it wouldnt count as sick leave as thats purely for matters regarding your own personal health. it would come under special leave, i believe you could get 1 days paid leave, and the rest would be unpaid or counted against your holiday.


https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Death of grandmother

Post by doorstepped »

if you are helping to sort all the details out for the funeral etc, then you can get a week off special leave paid, I know this because I did it when my father in law died and I arranged everything.

it also depends on your DOM, Sorry for your loss :(
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Death of grandmother

Post by Trail »

doorstepped wrote:if you are helping to sort all the details out for the funeral etc, then you can get a week off special leave paid, I know this because I did it when my father in law died and I arranged everything.

it also depends on your DOM, Sorry for your loss :(

I think this is right. You can try get a week off. You might as well go for it, you can only fall short.

Rather than go through a ruthless DOM who only cares about his targets I'd take it up with HR first before him/her, and if the result is a week paid get it put in writing from HR. email to your DOM, written paper letter to you.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Keep your chin and your fists up. Time is a good healer.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Death of grandmother

Post by spen »

If dealing with the stress and turmoil of everything that is going on around you is making you unwell n stressed out, then you are genuinely sick, go sick