ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA Actuals

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by eastie »

All this yellow dot business when you are standing still and DOMs moaning you are slower than x on the same round who runs round like a whippet. Why doesn't the PDA have a facility to log when you are having your break on the round?
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by grchpo »

If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by Celgar »

Just take your twenty minute break when you want to. That twenty minute 'yellow dot' window of time will appear on their screen and you can point it out for them if they are in the habit of discussing this stuff with you.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by rambo1 »

grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by Bahia Feliz »

I send a memo saying 'meal relief' from my pda when i'm having mine.A line manager even asked me how I do it?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by SpacePhoenix »

rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by bmccoll »

rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Unless needed, the damn thing is left in the van.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by yellowbelly »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
Good idea in theory, on a van duty it often depends on having to change route for Specials as to where you might be (which also
affects the (estimated) delivery timings customers have been given for Tracked deliveries which can turn out to be two to four hours later
and comments like 'I've been waiting in all day for this, it said you'd be here at so and so o'clock').
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by SpacePhoenix »

yellowbelly wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
Good idea in theory, on a van duty it often depends on having to change route for Specials as to where you might be (which also
affects the (estimated) delivery timings customers have been given for Tracked deliveries which can turn out to be two to four hours later
and comments like 'I've been waiting in all day for this, it said you'd be here at so and so o'clock').
Don't forget that probably within the next year, all Tracked will start going to the LAT hubs so that apart from SDs, timing of mail won't matter. For SDs they could have half a dozen nominated people to go out in vans early to deliver them all
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by Trail »

yellowbelly wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
Good idea in theory, on a van duty it often depends on having to change route for Specials as to where you might be (which also
affects the (estimated) delivery timings customers have been given for Tracked deliveries which can turn out to be two to four hours later
and comments like 'I've been waiting in all day for this, it said you'd be here at so and so o'clock').
When I was doing a rural me and my mate often took all the proper (silver) specials first before we did the first bag. It takes the stress off. Sometimes we only had three or four silvers so it took us about ten minutes and took the pressure off of hitting the 1pm deadline.

I don't know about him, but I never took a Chinese special before I had to. They're not proper specials, never need a signature, so why bust your balls to get rid of them.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by robbertwhitton »

With regard to breaks,although having your meal break in one of our luxurious Royal Mail vans does sound appealing,anyone on here have a lovely spot or location that they use to have a break?the pda posts on here certainly stir up some debate,at 58 and 37 years in service I’ve just seemed to be going just that much slower and on the cusp of leaving Mail now on busy days that I know I won’t complete,boy that’s gone down well,oh well,over to you boss,crickey is that the time!?
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by Trail »

robbertwhitton wrote:With regard to breaks,although having your meal break in one of our luxurious Royal Mail vans does sound appealing,anyone on here have a lovely spot or location that they use to have a break?the pda posts on here certainly stir up some debate,at 58 and 37 years in service I’ve just seemed to be going just that much slower and on the cusp of leaving Mail now on busy days that I know I won’t complete,boy that’s gone down well,oh well,over to you boss,crickey is that the time!?
I used to use a community centre for my (outside) break - if I took one. The old folk gave us coffee or tea, decent conversation. It was warm in the winter, had toilets we could use. Free biscuits, cutlery, nice places to sit and eat.

I was always okay roughing it though, I was always happy to sit anywhere and eat, sandwich sat on a wall, breakfast from a supermarket, food sat in the van.

I just wanted to get back. I guess you could say I was playing into RM's hands, but I rarely got finished before time, and often went over but claimed it back in O/T back because I was skint and often the partner I was out with wouldn't come back until everything was delivered.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by joewyan »

Trail wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
Good idea in theory, on a van duty it often depends on having to change route for Specials as to where you might be (which also
affects the (estimated) delivery timings customers have been given for Tracked deliveries which can turn out to be two to four hours later
and comments like 'I've been waiting in all day for this, it said you'd be here at so and so o'clock').
When I was doing a rural me and my mate often took all the proper (silver) specials first before we did the first bag. It takes the stress off. Sometimes we only had three or four silvers so it took us about ten minutes and took the pressure off of hitting the 1pm deadline.

I don't know about him, but I never took a Chinese special before I had to. They're not proper specials, never need a signature, so why bust your balls to get rid of them.
Depends on the rural I suppose. I’ve done some that are about 50 miles, can’t see you doing those all first!
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by Trail »

joewyan wrote:
Trail wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If they moan about you not moving for 20 mins tell them you were having your break. simple
If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Probably be best way long term to deal with it would be to have a designated location and time out on route for a break to be taken
Good idea in theory, on a van duty it often depends on having to change route for Specials as to where you might be (which also
affects the (estimated) delivery timings customers have been given for Tracked deliveries which can turn out to be two to four hours later
and comments like 'I've been waiting in all day for this, it said you'd be here at so and so o'clock').
When I was doing a rural me and my mate often took all the proper (silver) specials first before we did the first bag. It takes the stress off. Sometimes we only had three or four silvers so it took us about ten minutes and took the pressure off of hitting the 1pm deadline.

I don't know about him, but I never took a Chinese special before I had to. They're not proper specials, never need a signature, so why bust your balls to get rid of them.
Depends on the rural I suppose. I’ve done some that are about 50 miles, can’t see you doing those all first!
Different ball game there then...Ours was nothing like that.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA Actuals

Post by rambo1 »

bmccoll wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
grchpo wrote:If you didn't move for 20mins what else would you be doing other than having your break?
Unless needed, the damn thing is left in the van.
In that case, watch your overtime payments and make sure you're not docked for take more meal relief than entitled, coz if your PDA isn't moving then your not either, in their eyes.