ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OPG98283
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 Nov 2015, 19:44
Gender: Male

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Post by OPG98283 »

Hi I have been a postie in Aberdeen for the last two years as a reserve have still not had a rotating day off. According to my union rep, management are only obliged to give me a Saturday every 6 weeks but no long weekend. However I have 2 issues;
1. When I am to cover a floater in my block who has a long weekend my day off is moved to another day and
2. As I do not have a rotating day off I cannot plan ahead therefore FORCING me to use annual leave days for things while my colleagues can use their rotating day off. How can this be allowed to happen? Any advice would be appreciated and opinions welcome.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Post by miles_peters »

the life of a reserve.... you should get what everyone else gets but in order to do so you have to battle for your life. good luck
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Post by crimson king »

miles_peters wrote:the life of a reserve.... you should get what everyone else gets but in order to do so you have to battle for your life. good luck
Yeah, it sucks. Constantly having to ask when you're off the following week, not being able to plan anything whilst colleagues are always off in their caravans on long weekends. I like the variation and getting to know different duties but I'll be applying for vacant duties asap, just for the comfort and convenience of knowing when your next day off is.

Oh, and don't get me started on this 1 in 6/ 1 in 4 Saturday malarkey....it's Tolkeinesque in its fantasy value.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Post by Trail »

crimson king wrote:
miles_peters wrote:the life of a reserve.... you should get what everyone else gets but in order to do so you have to battle for your life. good luck
Yeah, it sucks. Constantly having to ask when you're off the following week, not being able to plan anything whilst colleagues are always off in their caravans on long weekends. I like the variation and getting to know different duties but I'll be applying for vacant duties asap, just for the comfort and convenience of knowing when your next day off is.

Oh, and don't get me started on this 1 in 6/ 1 in 4 Saturday malarkey....it's Tolkeinesque in its fantasy value.
It took me 15 months to get a Saturday off when I was with RM.

I also couldn't get annual leave for a trip to London despite having hotels and trains booked and paid for well in advance. I had to be selective with my time off as my then lassie works in education and is governed by school holidays. I'd been at RM for ten months, worked every day off. So I walked into the DOM's office with a pen and a piece of paper and said to him basically "If you don't authorise me these four days you can get someone to cover ******es 1 because if not I'm going home".

I had three union reps with me (including one of the bigwigs). I was also ready to smack someone's head in. Sometimes you have to be ruthless. He asked me what I wanted (four days in August), and signed them straight off. They can find time for annual leave whenever they want.

I enjoyed my time in London.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Reserves,rotating days off and annual leave

Post by Sir Henry »

No political will within the union hierarchy to tackle this perennial issue.
"f**k the reserves, we're alright Jack"

It's a f***ing insult to be told "you get the day off of the walk you're covering" only to see them change the Saturday that is due, to something easier for them to cover.

So if they are going to honour my equivalent of 1 in 6 I should only get Saturdays off all next year.
Or are they going to wait until I'm two years from retirement and furnish me with nowt but Saturday's from then until I punch the clock for the last time?

Shower of aerosols! :wink:
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"