ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Claming your break as O/T?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Jamesfr3man »

I've recently joined RM and I've just found out that I'm entitled to a break. I'm on a 25-hour contract so from my understanding I get a 15-minute break, which is nice but unfortunately I've only used it a handful of times. Depending on who I'm saddled with for the walk, they usually don't take their break or they take it in the morning when I arrive so that they can eat something while I load the van, which I'm happy to do. My problem is that they despise me for taking mine when we are out, so I usually don't. I understand that we barely have enough time as it is to complete our round + absorption on time let alone allow me to have a break but from when I leave the DO to when we get back, I don't stop to eat anything and it makes me super tired.

What I want to know is, can I claim breaks I don't use as O/T?

Because I'm stuck with a partner who finishes 20-30 minutes after my finishing time, I find myself going over my time most days. I've spoken to my DOM about it and they have advised me to log all my late times as O/T and tally it all up and the end of the week and I want to know if I can add 15 minutes each day to this tally.

Cheers,
:cool
Rael, the IAK
Posts: 109
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 13:08
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Rael, the IAK »

On a 5 hour day, you are entitled to a 30 minute break, as 5 to 7 hours is that length break. If I've not taken a break, which is virtually every day, I add 30 minutes to my time and claim overtime as appropriate.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by maisymoo04 »

Jamesfr3man wrote:I've recently joined RM and I've just found out that I'm entitled to a break. I'm on a 25-hour contract so from my understanding I get a 15-minute break, which is nice but unfortunately I've only used it a handful of times. Depending on who I'm saddled with for the walk, they usually don't take their break or they take it in the morning when I arrive so that they can eat something while I load the van, which I'm happy to do. My problem is that they despise me for taking mine when we are out, so I usually don't. I understand that we barely have enough time as it is to complete our round + absorption on time let alone allow me to have a break but from when I leave the DO to when we get back, I don't stop to eat anything and it makes me super tired.

What I want to know is, can I claim breaks I don't use as O/T?

Because I'm stuck with a partner who finishes 20-30 minutes after my finishing time, I find myself going over my time most days. I've spoken to my DOM about it and they have advised me to log all my late times as O/T and tally it all up and the end of the week and I want to know if I can add 15 minutes each day to this tally.

Cheers,
:cool
Just take ye break before YOU go out .Sod ye partner he will have to bloody wait :cool
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by rambo1 »

Rael, the IAK wrote:On a 5 hour day, you are entitled to a 30 minute break, as 5 to 7 hours is that length break. If I've not taken a break, which is virtually every day, I add 30 minutes to my time and claim overtime as appropriate.
Royal Mail standard practice is no break will be paid for that hasn't been taken on delivery. I.e you will not get it paid at the end as overtime.
The only exception to this rule is if you're overtime incurs an additional break for example your 40 mins on your average 8 hrs will be made up to 50 mins if your overtime performed that day takes you over 9 hrs including your 40 mins. In this instance, you will be paid an additional 10 mins at the end. Of course this is irrelevant to a part timer unless of course they do a full time duty on overtime.
The payment for normal breaks not taken, at the end of your duty should be long gone, it's been agreed with the cwu.
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by hans solo »

aye right :left:
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by rambo1 »

hans solo wrote:aye right :left:
Yeah forget to mention that every office is run as a franchise under it's own sub rules. As always.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Newbie001 »

All the postmen in your office will have the same finish time, so you're probably coming in 30 mins too early. Did the same to me when I first started on a 25hr. Speak to your rep for a proper break down because managers will always shaft u.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Celgar »

You really need to take your breaks somewhere within duty time. In addition I would recommend booking extended delivery daily rather than adding it up into one sum at the end of the week. Liable to get questioned regarding proof otherwise. This is all on the assumption that it is easy to book overtime in your office. In many offices this isn't the case.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Trail »

I never took a morning break. If I was out there and fancied a sarnie or a rest I'd have one (20 minutes tops), then I'd take the second break as O/T. We were always asked if we wanted our second break as overtime by pretty much the only decent manager in our DO...and she was only acting up.

I'd rather get back at 2.50, 3pm whenever and take those other 20 minutes in cash. I didn't have a break in a morning because I'd always have some snap while I was sorting/bagging up (if I'd not had any food at home early doors).

I hated the DO, I hated that place, I just wanted to throw in, bag up and get out.

RM DOs are horrendous place, well, ours was. I loved the people I worked with (post folk), management were poison.

If I could get out at 8.30 instead of 9am I was happy to eat a sandwich or drink a can of Coke (other brands are available) in the van or at my frame. I was happy with that, plough through the streets with a bacon sarnie and a drink as I delivered.

Thank f**k I'm out of that company. For two quid less than minimum an hour I'd rather work for a company who gives a f**k.

f**k Royal Mail.
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by work »

rambo1 wrote:
Rael, the IAK wrote:On a 5 hour day, you are entitled to a 30 minute break, as 5 to 7 hours is that length break. If I've not taken a break, which is virtually every day, I add 30 minutes to my time and claim overtime as appropriate.
Royal Mail standard practice is no break will be paid for that hasn't been taken on delivery. I.e you will not get it paid at the end as overtime.
The only exception to this rule is if you're overtime incurs an additional break for example your 40 mins on your average 8 hrs will be made up to 50 mins if your overtime performed that day takes you over 9 hrs including your 40 mins. In this instance, you will be paid an additional 10 mins at the end. Of course this is irrelevant to a part timer unless of course they do a full time duty on overtime.
The payment for normal breaks not taken, at the end of your duty should be long gone, it's been agreed with the cwu.
surely not 'irrelevant' to pt staff...if 5hrs+=30m,7hrs+=40mins,9hrs+=5omins etc...then at xmas and busy (pressure) times, if going over std contract hrs, a pt staff SHOULD claim the overtime owed (inclusive of extra meal relief allocated). I DO. :coolr
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Claming your break as O/T?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

Jamesfr3man wrote:I've recently joined RM and I've just found out that I'm entitled to a break. I'm on a 25-hour contract so from my understanding I get a 15-minute break, which is nice but unfortunately I've only used it a handful of times. Depending on who I'm saddled with for the walk, they usually don't take their break or they take it in the morning when I arrive so that they can eat something while I load the van, which I'm happy to do. My problem is that they despise me for taking mine when we are out, so I usually don't. I understand that we barely have enough time as it is to complete our round + absorption on time let alone allow me to have a break but from when I leave the DO to when we get back, I don't stop to eat anything and it makes me super tired.

What I want to know is, can I claim breaks I don't use as O/T?

Because I'm stuck with a partner who finishes 20-30 minutes after my finishing time, I find myself going over my time most days. I've spoken to my DOM about it and they have advised me to log all my late times as O/T and tally it all up and the end of the week and I want to know if I can add 15 minutes each day to this tally.

Cheers,
:cool
It seems to me very hard to "enforce" break rules offically. As you say all my other partners so far haven't taken them, the managers are a pain in the arse when it comes to overtime and Royal Mail seems to take the piss out of newby part time reserves. Maybe why the strike is happening....

What I do is when I need a piss I have one, when I need to eat I eat and when I need to make a call/text I do it. When you are out on your loop just do it, it only takes a minute or so and you are on your own then and can do what you like (within reason). Just take lots of snacks with you or if your round passes a corner shop pop in. Play the system and don't let the system play you. Good luck.