ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
O/T optional or not?
-
Cantsayno
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 23 Jun 2019, 11:11
- Gender: Female
-
Celtic warrior
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 16:23
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
Don't worry about the probation period.
You'll be fine as there should be no real problems with getting through that.
Your main problem is your autism that you should address (Not in a bad way) by speaking to the manager and, if you are in the union use the rep, or a friend to explain your worries.
They may not be aware and just see what they want.
Overtime is purely optional and should never be forced on you although some managers think everyone wants it as it makes their life easier.
If you can't do it then don't. I would just explain why I couldn't due to childcare etc...
I hope this helps but don't suffer in silence.
You'll be fine as there should be no real problems with getting through that.
Your main problem is your autism that you should address (Not in a bad way) by speaking to the manager and, if you are in the union use the rep, or a friend to explain your worries.
They may not be aware and just see what they want.
Overtime is purely optional and should never be forced on you although some managers think everyone wants it as it makes their life easier.
If you can't do it then don't. I would just explain why I couldn't due to childcare etc...
I hope this helps but don't suffer in silence.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
does she have to give a reason why she cant do OT?
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
No she doesn’t but giving the manager a reason means they will know for future reference where they all stand.miles_peters wrote:does she have to give a reason why she cant do OT?
-
Cantsayno
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 23 Jun 2019, 11:11
- Gender: Female
O/T optional or not?
Thanks for your replies. I did read somewhere on here about it being optional but didn't know if it was taken into consideration when you come to the end of the probationary period.
On my application it asked if I had any disabilities, I ticked the box for yes, then the next question was, would it affect your work, I ticked no so no further questions were asked or anything. I am in the union and our rep/workplace coach is spot on so I'll probably try and have a chat with him. That's the only issue I have really, I'm actually enjoying the job now the blisters and sore feet have gone, again thankyou
On my application it asked if I had any disabilities, I ticked the box for yes, then the next question was, would it affect your work, I ticked no so no further questions were asked or anything. I am in the union and our rep/workplace coach is spot on so I'll probably try and have a chat with him. That's the only issue I have really, I'm actually enjoying the job now the blisters and sore feet have gone, again thankyou
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
I never do overtime. They don’t even ask me now
years ago I would give excuses if they asked why I couldn’t go over (protract instead of cutting off) but now I just tell them outright...”I don’t want to”. End of.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
Over time is optional, don't be pressurised into going over your time unless you want to. I never did over time in 24 years I was happy with my 40 hour contract. I know this is repeating what has already been said on this forum many times , do not go in early unless your being paid too , use the equipment provided ie trolleys , have your break , do not be tempted to run round to impress management , don't doorstep. Only take lapsing if you can do it. Any problems with management go to your union rep straight away. Join the union.
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
O/T optional or not?
As a disabled employee you should have a yearly review under the workplace adjustment agreement.
Your branch equality officer or safety rep should be aware of this agreement.
But basically it's how you will be supported for a 12 month period.
If your reps are unaware of the process or agreement, send me a private message and I'll provide a copy.
Your branch equality officer or safety rep should be aware of this agreement.
But basically it's how you will be supported for a 12 month period.
If your reps are unaware of the process or agreement, send me a private message and I'll provide a copy.