ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Hi all, I've been in the job for about 3-4 months now and have been asked to sign a waiver to allow me to work more than 48 hours in a week. Currently I'm on a 25 hour contract and I'm not allowed to drive due to not being tested by royal mail yet, so I can't do collections or any real O/T.

With Christmas coming up soon they've short listed me for a driving test, I assume to cover more work during xmas. Is it still worth signing? The reason I ask is due to time pressure at Xmas, I don't want to be pressured into doing more O/T just because I've signed this waiver.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by Postie45 »

people tend to get pressured regardless in the xmas period, remember though all OT is optional and 100% your decision, you may as well sign it in case one week you decide youd like to work more hrs.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by picture123 »

The working time directive does not commit you to working an extra minute. You're basically signing that you're aware that there is a legal limit to how many hours you can work in a week and you're waiving your right to stay below it SHOULD YOU CHOOSE! Personally I think it's easier to sign it on the off chance you exceed it, even if it's only one week of the year you exceed it
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by RobertT »

You can still work over 48 hours per week if you do opt out of the WTD, as it's averaged out over 17 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by Celgar »

You can always say NO or nothing at all when the call goes out for volunteers to do overtime. If you get finished at or shortly after you duty time there is nothing they can do to force you to do it. Currently in our DO most of the posties are ****** off with having to do lapsing virtually every day through the summer in addition to the double absorption which is already incorporated into our walks. We now have a possible long term sick postie and a vacancy for a part time duty not necessarily filled and a call for overtime. There were no takers for this overtime today as far as I know so I think the DOM and the 'PHG' delivered it all. Morale isn't any better generally in terms of higher management and the pressure and whingeing from them from above. Locally as an office we are not too bad but not particularly happy over another issue.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by eastie »

sign f**k all...……….. they only get you to sign something if its to their benefit
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Working Time Directive? Worth it?

Post by norris9 »

Celgar wrote:You can always say NO or nothing at all when the call goes out for volunteers to do overtime. If you get finished at or shortly after you duty time there is nothing they can do to force you to do it. Currently in our DO most of the posties are ****** off with having to do lapsing virtually every day through the summer in addition to the double absorption which is already incorporated into our walks. We now have a possible long term sick postie and a vacancy for a part time duty not necessarily filled and a call for overtime. There were no takers for this overtime today as far as I know so I think the DOM and the 'PHG' delivered it all. Morale isn't any better generally in terms of higher management and the pressure and whingeing from them from above. Locally as an office we are not too bad but not particularly happy over another issue.

I'm not sure Royal Mail understand what morale is. Morale is hugely important. They are more likely to retain employees, have employees go the extra mile, do favours, do things more to the book - if morale is good to high.