ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Warning for time off
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 753
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
I'm possibly going to single myself out here but whatever.
I have been off recently for 16 days, 2 days self cert and the rest signed off. First week I heard nothing from my DoM, second week on the Monday I had a phone call asking me to come in for a one to one which I did. I explained everything that was wrong and that was that. I returned to work when the sick note expired, had my return to work and started back on my duty. A week goes by and I'm given some forms to attend a meeting because my time off is of some concern to RM and a print off of all the time I've had off over 11 and a half years which is 8 days up until the 16 days recently.
I have the meeting with my union rep and DoM and am told I'm more than likely to get a stage 1?
Now I would have no problem with this only I think from the lack of time I've had off a stage 1 should not be issued and should I get a warning I would like to know if there is any official channels I can go down to challenge it?
All it seems to me to be doing is putting those that are off work genuinely under pressure not to have anymore time off because they could be facing a second warning. What happens in winter if I get flu/cold and feel like s**t? Do I have a few days off to recover and sit at home worrying about a further warning or go in and possible give other around me the illness? It seems like stupidity and at the end of the bullying/threatening in order to make sure you never go off sick?
I've never been in this position so just thought I'd ask if there is anymore I could do if I do get a stage 1?
I have been off recently for 16 days, 2 days self cert and the rest signed off. First week I heard nothing from my DoM, second week on the Monday I had a phone call asking me to come in for a one to one which I did. I explained everything that was wrong and that was that. I returned to work when the sick note expired, had my return to work and started back on my duty. A week goes by and I'm given some forms to attend a meeting because my time off is of some concern to RM and a print off of all the time I've had off over 11 and a half years which is 8 days up until the 16 days recently.
I have the meeting with my union rep and DoM and am told I'm more than likely to get a stage 1?
Now I would have no problem with this only I think from the lack of time I've had off a stage 1 should not be issued and should I get a warning I would like to know if there is any official channels I can go down to challenge it?
All it seems to me to be doing is putting those that are off work genuinely under pressure not to have anymore time off because they could be facing a second warning. What happens in winter if I get flu/cold and feel like s**t? Do I have a few days off to recover and sit at home worrying about a further warning or go in and possible give other around me the illness? It seems like stupidity and at the end of the bullying/threatening in order to make sure you never go off sick?
I've never been in this position so just thought I'd ask if there is anymore I could do if I do get a stage 1?
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
ive had one day off and been sent a letter by my dom
-
FacesOfStone
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
4 separate absences or reaching 14 days within any 12 month period would trigger a stage one, yeah. A move to the second stage would only be triggered if you were to have two absences or a total of 10 days within the six months following the issue of the first.
Unfortunately, I doubt your history of good attendance will do anything to stop the stage one being issued. I don’t think there’s a right to appeal anything before a decision to dismiss on a stage three.
Unfortunately, I doubt your history of good attendance will do anything to stop the stage one being issued. I don’t think there’s a right to appeal anything before a decision to dismiss on a stage three.
Last edited by FacesOfStone on 21 Aug 2019, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 753
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
So is it an automatic stage 1? I was led to believe is was the DoMs discretion.
Is there any way to challenge it?
Is there any way to challenge it?
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
no. you can put a grievance in but its not worth the paper its written on. stages are supposed to be issued/not issued on merit of the reason for the absence but that's total bollocks. I was issued one in 2007 after being off with heart problems. there is no appeal against a stage being issued, as they say if a stage was wrongly issued or shouldn't have been issued then all will be corrected if it ever reaches stage 3. which is crap. rapists and murderers are entitled to appeal but not postal staff.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Warning for time off
It is down to the DOMs discretion on paper but he would have to explain to his boss why it wasn't issued and he probably doesn't want to have that conversation.smok3y666 wrote:So is it an automatic stage 1? I was led to believe is was the DoMs discretion.
You have triggered it, it will almost certainly be issued.
Don't stress. Challenging it will take up more time and energy than it is worth.
Be zen about it. Accept it and move on.
In the unlikely event that you have more absences and trigger a stage 3 your excellent record will stand you in good stead.
I can understand why they wanted to make stage 1 and 2 automatic and remove the emotion from the process.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
I've been at RM for five years now. I got a stage one within my six month trial period. Stage one interview is triggered after seven days in two absences (if my memory serves me right).
The first absence was after I fell off my bike on my day off and broke my arm. I was off for three weeks but DOM decided not to issue a stage one over it because the crash was not my fault. But unfortunately for me I had already booked in an appointment to have a minor operation which resulted in 1 week recovery time which triggered a meeting with DOM and ended up getting a stage one warning.
I didn't have any further absence so my stage 1 was cleared after so many months. I can't remember whether it was six or twelve months. I've only had six days off sick since.
The first absence was after I fell off my bike on my day off and broke my arm. I was off for three weeks but DOM decided not to issue a stage one over it because the crash was not my fault. But unfortunately for me I had already booked in an appointment to have a minor operation which resulted in 1 week recovery time which triggered a meeting with DOM and ended up getting a stage one warning.
I didn't have any further absence so my stage 1 was cleared after so many months. I can't remember whether it was six or twelve months. I've only had six days off sick since.
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
Warning for time off
One thing I would say about this is, make sure you are fit and well before you return. The DUM should not be saying you, you will be on Stage 1 at this early stage. So don't return unless you are fully fit enough to work.smok3y666 wrote:I'm possibly going to single myself out here but whatever.
I have been off recently for 16 days, 2 days self cert and the rest signed off. First week I heard nothing from my DoM, second week on the Monday I had a phone call asking me to come in for a one to one which I did. I explained everything that was wrong and that was that. I returned to work when the sick note expired, had my return to work and started back on my duty. A week goes by and I'm given some forms to attend a meeting because my time off is of some concern to RM and a print off of all the time I've had off over 11 and a half years which is 8 days up until the 16 days recently.
I have the meeting with my union rep and DoM and am told I'm more than likely to get a stage 1?
Now I would have no problem with this only I think from the lack of time I've had off a stage 1 should not be issued and should I get a warning I would like to know if there is any official channels I can go down to challenge it?
All it seems to me to be doing is putting those that are off work genuinely under pressure not to have anymore time off because they could be facing a second warning. What happens in winter if I get flu/cold and feel like s**t? Do I have a few days off to recover and sit at home worrying about a further warning or go in and possible give other around me the illness? It seems like stupidity and at the end of the bullying/threatening in order to make sure you never go off sick?
I've never been in this position so just thought I'd ask if there is anymore I could do if I do get a stage 1?
CUT OFF!!!
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
Union rep can't really do anything about most early stage warnings being given, its up to the DOMs discretion and see-ing as most DOMs are more concerned about pleasing their bosses above they get the lino boys to follow up orders regardless.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
I completely disagree with most of the replies on here. Issuing of a stage 1, is not an automatic process. There are procedures to be followed, and it must be considered on an individual basis, taking into account previous attendance history and any mitigating factors (this is all in black and white in the attendance policy).
First thing to do, is obtain a copy of said attendance policy. It clearly states the procedures your DOM must follow in preparation of any stage review.
I note that you were asked to come in for a "one to one", this I'm guessing would have been your DOM's attempts at an "informal review discussion", but the policy states you should be made aware of it's purpose, be given adequate time to prepare for it, and you must be given the opportunity to consult with your union representative. The manager must also provide you with a copy of your attendance record at this informal meeting.
Only then could he initiate a "formal attendance review meeting" which must be done in writing. With a minimum of 3 days notice. I presume this was the meeting you had with the rep.
Also, employees must be informed of the attendance policy at induction when you first join the company. If you genuinely weren't aware of the attendance policy, it's probably because you've never been told about it, been given the documentation, and there's no record of you ever being notified of it. Make this clear to the DOM, how can you be expected to follow the attendance standards policy, if you've never been made aware of the standards, or signed off on them.
Needless to say, like everything in Royal Mail, fight your corner, stand your ground, and don't make yourself an easy target for DOMs. And it's likely that they won't pick on you.
First thing to do, is obtain a copy of said attendance policy. It clearly states the procedures your DOM must follow in preparation of any stage review.
I note that you were asked to come in for a "one to one", this I'm guessing would have been your DOM's attempts at an "informal review discussion", but the policy states you should be made aware of it's purpose, be given adequate time to prepare for it, and you must be given the opportunity to consult with your union representative. The manager must also provide you with a copy of your attendance record at this informal meeting.
Only then could he initiate a "formal attendance review meeting" which must be done in writing. With a minimum of 3 days notice. I presume this was the meeting you had with the rep.
Also, employees must be informed of the attendance policy at induction when you first join the company. If you genuinely weren't aware of the attendance policy, it's probably because you've never been told about it, been given the documentation, and there's no record of you ever being notified of it. Make this clear to the DOM, how can you be expected to follow the attendance standards policy, if you've never been made aware of the standards, or signed off on them.
Needless to say, like everything in Royal Mail, fight your corner, stand your ground, and don't make yourself an easy target for DOMs. And it's likely that they won't pick on you.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Warning for time off
After 11 years in the business, he is expected to argue he had no idea of the attendance policy?Murdoch wrote: Also, employees must be informed of the attendance policy at induction when you first join the company. If you genuinely weren't aware of the attendance policy, it's probably because you've never been told about it,.
Needless to say, like everything in Royal Mail, fight your corner, stand your ground, and don't make yourself an easy target for DOMs. And it's likely that they won't pick on you.
And after wasting his time "fighting his corner" the stage will still be issued, not because he is being picked on, but because he has breached the guidelines.
I suggest he saves his energy for something important.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
gunho
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
Don’t worry over it, it’s not worth the paper its written on
-
Downeagle
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 08:30
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
15 years a postie and have recently received a stage 1 after going over on my ankle and damaging ligaments whilst on duty but no break after an X-ray. My manager in his interview appreciated that I still felt pain and came back to work earlier than anticipated. At the time of the interview he was more interested in establishing that my trip was due to my suspect ankle (broken 13=year’s ago) as opposed to uneven ground which he said gets categorised differently.
Needless the say the letter states I surpassed 14 days (15) within a 12 month period and there is no right of appeal though the wording “I have decided that it is appropriate to issue the Attendance Review 1 makes me think he has a choice. If he had a choice and I did it on duty and he was able to see from my yellow dot that I couldn’t move for 10 minutes why would he give it?
No other sick leave.
Needless the say the letter states I surpassed 14 days (15) within a 12 month period and there is no right of appeal though the wording “I have decided that it is appropriate to issue the Attendance Review 1 makes me think he has a choice. If he had a choice and I did it on duty and he was able to see from my yellow dot that I couldn’t move for 10 minutes why would he give it?
No other sick leave.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
Sure if that is indeed the case. I know first hand plenty of Posites that have been with the company for years and have literally no clue about anything. If you've never been shown the attendance policy and been made aware of the standards, then how can you be expected to adhere to it.clashcityrocker wrote:After 11 years in the business, he is expected to argue he had no idea of the attendance policy?Murdoch wrote: Also, employees must be informed of the attendance policy at induction when you first join the company. If you genuinely weren't aware of the attendance policy, it's probably because you've never been told about it,.
Needless to say, like everything in Royal Mail, fight your corner, stand your ground, and don't make yourself an easy target for DOMs. And it's likely that they won't pick on you.
And after wasting his time "fighting his corner" the stage will still be issued, not because he is being picked on, but because he has breached the guidelines.
I suggest he saves his energy for something important.
Clearly this is an important issue to the OP. Hence why he posted. If you think issuing of stage 1 as a standard practice, isn't an important issue, then you are mistaken, it's completely against the spirit of the attendance policy. My last point was about if you let your DOM issue a stage 1 as a standard practice, they will just walk all over you, with everything.
But each to their own. You save your energy for what you deem important.
Last edited by Murdoch on 22 Aug 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Warning for time off
From past threads that have been about the same subject, it seems like Stage 1 warnings are in effect issued automatically