ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

' In Flight Redirections '

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by Celgar »

' In Flight Redirections ' are one of the ideas for RM to implement from their parcel strategy or five year plan.

I ordered some camping equipment from Millets and it was delivered by Hermes this morning. Hermes already do the in flight Redirections option on their emails giving the delivery status of your order. A two hour delivery window was given and eight minutes after the email was received with the in flight Redirections option the parcel was left outside our front door. So there wasn't much time to intervene if I needed to for further delivery instructions to be sent. I guess maybe the emails are triggered and sent based on the GPS location of the PDA type equipment the Hermes drivers use.
In short if Hermes are already doing this I expect we will probably be doing in flight Redirections before the end of this year.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:' In Flight Redirections ' are one of the ideas for RM to implement from their parcel strategy or five year plan.

I ordered some camping equipment from Millets and it was delivered by Hermes this morning. Hermes already do the in flight Redirections option on their emails giving the delivery status of your order. A two hour delivery window was given and eight minutes after the email was received with the in flight Redirections option the parcel was left outside our front door. So there wasn't much time to intervene if I needed to for further delivery instructions to be sent. I guess maybe the emails are triggered and sent based on the GPS location of the PDA type equipment the Hermes drivers use.
In short if Hermes are already doing this I expect we will probably be doing in flight Redirections before the end of this year.
I think most couriers already do in-flight redirections. I believe that Hermes use the same physical PDA as RM but with their own software. I think the PDA that RM use (hardware only) is kinda industry standard
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:' In Flight Redirections ' are one of the ideas for RM to implement from their parcel strategy or five year plan.

I ordered some camping equipment from Millets and it was delivered by Hermes this morning. Hermes already do the in flight Redirections option on their emails giving the delivery status of your order. A two hour delivery window was given and eight minutes after the email was received with the in flight Redirections option the parcel was left outside our front door. So there wasn't much time to intervene if I needed to for further delivery instructions to be sent. I guess maybe the emails are triggered and sent based on the GPS location of the PDA type equipment the Hermes drivers use.
In short if Hermes are already doing this I expect we will probably be doing in flight Redirections before the end of this year.
I think most couriers already do in-flight redirections. I believe that Hermes use the same physical PDA as RM but with their own software. I think the PDA that RM use (hardware only) is kinda industry standard
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by DGH »

SpacePhoenix wrote: I think most couriers already do in-flight redirections. I believe that Hermes use the same physical PDA as RM but with their own software. I think the PDA that RM use (hardware only) is kinda industry standard
It might be but UPS (and some others) use much more slimline units with what appear to be better screens.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by ScousePostie »

A lot of customers already do this in a way by having their parcels sent to another address, usually a relative who is more likely to be in to accept delivery. I have a few people who are never in and have their parcels sent to their relatives who live on the same walk so realistically, it isn't more work for me.

EDIT: DPD are another courier that already offer in-flight redirection. I have used this personally. I get my parcels delivered to local pick up shop, which is a local chemist and collect from there. If RM offered this it would probably allow customers to collect their parcels from the callers office.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by rambo1 »

One 'problem' . We deliver letters too.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by DrSatan »

rambo1 wrote:One 'problem' . We deliver letters too.
But when they bring in the second delivery, it will be parcels only. So problem solved.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by Janet Brum »

We already have something similar to that, it`s called redelivery, with the option that the parcel to be delivered at another address.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by DrSatan »

Janet Brum wrote:We already have something similar to that, it`s called redelivery, with the option that the parcel to be delivered at another address.
Our redelivery service and in flight directions are different. With Dpd, you can select a bunch of different options while the parcel driver is out on delivery. Not just when they have returned to depot. E.G try a certain neighbour or put it in a safe place etc.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by 2yearpostie »

ive had training on this, but how does the customer change where its going to be delivered to?
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by cpsteve »

ScousePostie wrote:A lot of customers already do this in a way by having their parcels sent to another address, usually a relative who is more likely to be in to accept delivery. I have a few people who are never in and have their parcels sent to their relatives who live on the same walk so realistically, it isn't more work for me.

EDIT: DPD are another courier that already offer in-flight redirection. I have used this personally. I get my parcels delivered to local pick up shop, which is a local chemist and collect from there. If RM offered this it would probably allow customers to collect their parcels from the callers office.
If RM do this it will cost us jobs the more we deliver the better.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by NewPostieUK »

Let me get this straight. I sort my mail and packets for delivery. I load the van. Out on delivery I might get a message telling me to do something different to the already sorted packet? Take it someplace else?

Or am I off route?
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by 2yearpostie »

NewPostieUK wrote:Let me get this straight. I sort my mail and packets for delivery. I load the van. Out on delivery I might get a message telling me to do something different to the already sorted packet? Take it someplace else?

Or am I off route?
You scan the item as normal and a message will pop up to deliver to a different address IF IT IS ON ROUTE ONLY.
Andyajb277
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 39
Joined: 03 Sep 2017, 18:14
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by Andyajb277 »

With Parcel force we use rex it gives the customer a hour window time just before we leave the depo
So Mr Jones gets told by email or txt that I will be delivering his parcel from 10 am to 11pm
His options are
Cancel today and have it delivered next day or the day after that
Option of neighbour
Or pol local post office collect
We are still trying to get rex working good as we have problems fitting in adhoc collection which can be anywhere on a big route there is more problems
But over all I think most drivers hit the over 60 % success rate
On paper it works brilliant and if you work in a office
But in reality you don't have enough time in the day to hit your targets
Anyway rm will try something similar with you guys working at pforce for 20 years they seem to test it out with pforce first as we are the smaller part of the company
Something similar will definitely role out to rm even if it don't work on the job
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

' In Flight Redirections '

Post by 97gaz »

Royal Mails In Flight Delivery was due to start at the end of this month. It's different to other couriers though. Cut off point for customers to make changes is 4am. That means that we will have notification of an address change etc before we leave the office. We will not be getting any instructions for changes when out on delivery. I think the first day was due to be April 28th. I don't know if it's been put back though.