ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA actuals and real time

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by ashadd »

I was led to believe that the actuals can only be accessed the next day. So how do some of my customers know when i am 15 minutes away in real time?
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by Celgar »

ashadd wrote:I was led to believe that the actuals can only be accessed the next day. So how do some of my customers know when i am 15 minutes away in real time?
The PDA actuals can be viewed 'live' on the same day if they need or want to by the DOM or anyone with access.
Regarding customers knowing when you will arrive I guess it is either a approximate timing based on average timings or we are being tracked to that high a degree by RM. Probably the former is the case - I hope.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:
ashadd wrote:I was led to believe that the actuals can only be accessed the next day. So how do some of my customers know when i am 15 minutes away in real time?
The PDA actuals can be viewed 'live' on the same day if they need or want to by the DOM or anyone with access.
Regarding customers knowing when you will arrive I guess it is either a approximate timing based on average timings or we are being tracked to that high a degree by RM. Probably the former is the case - I hope.
Possibly it assumes that your on foot, looks at the distance and uses an average walking speed to caulculate how far away you are. On DPDs tracking whenever I've been waiting for an Amazon parcel from then it's always said approx how long until the driver will arrive, how many deliveries before mine and you can see on a map where the driver is
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by Pathfinder »

Queue people getting too impatient and driving to us to get their parcel lol..
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by rambo1 »

Celgar wrote:
ashadd wrote:I was led to believe that the actuals can only be accessed the next day. So how do some of my customers know when i am 15 minutes away in real time?
The PDA actuals can be viewed 'live' on the same day if they need or want to by the DOM or anyone with access.
Regarding customers knowing when you will arrive I guess it is either a approximate timing based on average timings or we are being tracked to that high a degree by RM. Probably the former is the case - I hope.
On this subject, I've noticed on some days ,the pda chiming just as I leave the office. It's not every day. When it chimes, does this mean they are tracking me live?
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by Jpro747 »

People know what time their post arrives so really don’t know why we need to provide this information, but that’s what RM do copy the competition because they can’t come up with their own ideas !
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Jpro747 wrote:People know what time their post arrives so really don’t know why we need to provide this information, but that’s what RM do copy the competition because they can’t come up with their own ideas !
They don't on my walk I like to keep them guessing :angel. I'm really lucky on my walk I can change it really easily to accommodate the specials. So I don't have to break off and do them.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

PDA actuals and real time

Post by glenfiddich »

its got nothing to do with informing people when or where their parcel is and all to do with where we are and what we're doing :cuppa
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by robbertwhitton »

Jpro747 wrote:People know what time their post arrives so really don’t know why we need to provide this information, but that’s what RM do copy the competition because they can’t come up with their own ideas !
Yep well said my friend,they make a big thing about bringing out new systems of delivery etc that our competitors have been doing for ages,as usual we’re way behind and somewhat archaic in every department
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by ted_e_bear »

robbertwhitton wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:People know what time their post arrives so really don’t know why we need to provide this information, but that’s what RM do copy the competition because they can’t come up with their own ideas !
Yep well said my friend,they make a big thing about bringing out new systems of delivery etc that our competitors have been doing for ages,as usual we’re way behind and somewhat archaic in every department
Exactly I couldn't agree more, "imitate not innovate" should be RM's motto.
Incidentally regarding PDA actuals it appears to me that for what they're using them for doesn't even require a PDA,all they're doing is looking at finishing times and saying ooh we can take some hours away here,but it doesn't work like that, in reality,there's too many variables to establish the actual amount of work that's being done in the duty time and RM aren't using the technology they have to establish this, as usual it's the lazy quick fix way that they have and always will use to react to problems of their own making.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ted_e_bear wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:People know what time their post arrives so really don’t know why we need to provide this information, but that’s what RM do copy the competition because they can’t come up with their own ideas !
Yep well said my friend,they make a big thing about bringing out new systems of delivery etc that our competitors have been doing for ages,as usual we’re way behind and somewhat archaic in every department
Exactly I couldn't agree more, "imitate not innovate" should be RM's motto.
Incidentally regarding PDA actuals it appears to me that for what they're using them for doesn't even require a PDA,all they're doing is looking at finishing times and saying ooh we can take some hours away here,but it doesn't work like that, in reality,there's too many variables to establish the actual amount of work that's being done in the duty time and RM aren't using the technology they have to establish this, as usual it's the lazy quick fix way that they have and always will use to react to problems of their own making.
They can look to see if there's any places where time is lost on a regular basis and could tweak something, maybe the order of a loop perhaps
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by Dindin »

Dim was coming up with something about the PDA says you have to do so many houses in a specific time according to the PDA
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by postslippete »

ashadd wrote:I was led to believe that the actuals can only be accessed the next day. So how do some of my customers know when i am 15 minutes away in real time?

I think the managers often access the PDA actuals the following day because it shows more complete data of the day when you did the walk. For example, it tells them where you walked and where you where stationary for 20 minutes or so.

However, if every time you scan your barcodes and it just adds them as a little red number on the front of the screen it means that they have not been downloaded to the server. I'm assuming that if it hasn't been sent then how will anyone know where you are in real time?? I've often seen managers checking all the PDAs in the fridge cabinet when we have gone to see if all the guns have been downloaded so I'm guess it must be quite important.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything to stop posties from going back to using the ePOD cards and then scanning them into their PDAs when convenient. I think most posties don't because its time consuming and inconvenient; but thats what they say about using the trolleys and all its doing is giving managers more scope to lapse duties as and where they can.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by SpacePhoenix »

postslippete wrote:Regardless, I don't think there is anything to stop posties from going back to using the ePOD cards and then scanning them into their PDAs when convenient. I think most posties don't because its time consuming and inconvenient; but thats what they say about using the trolleys and all its doing is giving managers more scope to lapse duties as and where they can.
They could probably look at the GPS location of where you scanned them compared with the GPS location of where they were meant to be scanned
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

PDA actuals and real time

Post by postslippete »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
postslippete wrote:Regardless, I don't think there is anything to stop posties from going back to using the ePOD cards and then scanning them into their PDAs when convenient. I think most posties don't because its time consuming and inconvenient; but thats what they say about using the trolleys and all its doing is giving managers more scope to lapse duties as and where they can.
They could probably look at the GPS location of where you scanned them compared with the GPS location of where they were meant to be scanned

But so what? We know the PDAs don't always work properly like when the battery goes flat or if it gets a bit of rain in them and the only thing you can do then is write the tracked/recorded and specials down and scan them in later.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.