Just for the hell of it I scanned loads of them today (Bored). Hope I get the Office award for "The Most Scans in a Day"!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Barcodes on Letters.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
Anyone know what the hell's going on with these "Micro Bar-Codes" that seem to be included more,and more, on even the smallest letters and Bumf?
They scan OK and come up as Delivered to customer.
So is anyone expecting us to use them?
Just for the hell of it I scanned loads of them today (Bored). Hope I get the Office award for "The Most Scans in a Day"!
Just for the hell of it I scanned loads of them today (Bored). Hope I get the Office award for "The Most Scans in a Day"!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
Yep some of ours as well I noticed.noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.
The redirections might have the 2D barcodes on them for machine sorting (otherwise the machines would read the original sorting code that was printed on an item)Dorset Plodder wrote:Yep some of ours as well I noticed.noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.Be nice to know whats going on?
-
kookoo32
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Barcodes on Letters.
When you scan the 2D ones on the redirections they give you the same options a normal 2D packet would ie. deliver to customer, not delivered etc. Whether we are supposed to scan them or not who knows.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
It could be the start of RM preparing to have barcodes on absolutely everything. I think packets will be the first to have a barcode on every item
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
I asked a manager about these and was told not to bother scanning them, they are for some other part of the process.kookoo32 wrote:When you scan the 2D ones on the redirections they give you the same options a normal 2D packet would ie. deliver to customer, not delivered etc. Whether we are supposed to scan them or not who knows.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
Regarding the usual full or partial square barcodes you find on letters, most notably on bank & building society statement envelopes, they will register on the PDA but they are not counted in the same way as the 2D barcodes. In short you do not have to scan those ones. I think they may be scanned somewhere in the process of sorting but it is not to do with us posties.
Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way. DOMs generally have very little knowledge so unless you have a good one, and most offices will not, it's probably a waste of time asking them just yet. Recent experience I had on the new Supermarket + fuel cards and where they could be used also showed that the next level up of management are also fairly clueless as well. Some ***** really need a good kicking to be honest!
Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way. DOMs generally have very little knowledge so unless you have a good one, and most offices will not, it's probably a waste of time asking them just yet. Recent experience I had on the new Supermarket + fuel cards and where they could be used also showed that the next level up of management are also fairly clueless as well. Some ***** really need a good kicking to be honest!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sortedCelgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
Don't the machines read addresses or written postcodes as well?SpacePhoenix wrote:When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sortedCelgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
If there's an orange barcode on a letter they'll sort it to whatever address is coded into that barcodeCelgar wrote:Don't the machines read addresses or written postcodes as well?SpacePhoenix wrote:When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sortedCelgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Barcodes on Letters.
There is a facility on the Indoor menu to scan redirections.
They currently only use it for Specials and Tracked I believe.
Maybe this is where they will be used.
Although scanning them out of the DO and scanning them on delivery might cut down customer complaints about the service.
They currently only use it for Specials and Tracked I believe.
Maybe this is where they will be used.
Although scanning them out of the DO and scanning them on delivery might cut down customer complaints about the service.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
Celgar wrote:Regarding the usual full or partial square barcodes you find on letters, most notably on bank & building society statement envelopes, they will register on the PDA but they are not counted in the same way as the 2D barcodes. In short you do not have to scan those ones. I think they may be scanned somewhere in the process of sorting but it is not to do with us posties.
Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way. DOMs generally have very little knowledge so unless you have a good one, and most offices will not, it's probably a waste of time asking them just yet. Recent experience I had on the new Supermarket + fuel cards and where they could be used also showed that the next level up of management are also fairly clueless as well. Some ***** really need a good kicking to be honest!
That's why I thought I'd put it on her Celgar ....... as I think the grand sum of our knowledge is probably greater than the sum total of RM Low level management!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Barcodes on Letters.
I've always put a pen through any of the Orange Bar Codes, before I put them in the Re-Direction Box. Every since I had a load of them come back to me.SpacePhoenix wrote:
The redirections might have the 2D barcodes on them for machine sorting (otherwise the machines would read the original sorting code that was printed on an item)
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)